Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should we split BZK's into 2 sections?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it sensible to seperate discussions about skiing so people know what they are wading into. Would it encourage more people to join in? As a first attempt how about the two sections being:-

"How to Ski"
General questions about Ski Instruction and Ski Schools. Go here to get help with your skiing, get feedback and talk about skiing in simple recreational terms. Recommend ski schools or instructors.

"How Skiing Works"
In-depth discussion about Ski Technique & Analysis with a highly technical bent. Go here to discuss specific skills or movements, teaching systems, organizations, body mechanics or other technical issues.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In general I'm not in favour of having lots of subsections dealing with very small areas, but if it addresses the concerns some people have expressed recently about BZK it might be a good idea.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cannot see the point - I think the suggestions thread shows how the same stuff can spread anywhere.

Might be an idea to have a mod lock a thread if the question posed in an OP has actually been answered though?

I think the fact we haven't heard from admin about this whole issue this tells us that he is content with the way things are.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother wrote:
I think the fact we haven't heard from admin about this whole issue this tells us that he is content with the way things are.

Or that he's still busy trying to make sure that everyone is happy with the font/colour scheme, has Christmas cards to send, calendars on their wall, and the CSM gets a Christmas present rolling eyes wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nope, against that idea...... I don't think the forum needs to be devisive or exclusive beyond what people choose to post.

The Snowboard section is normally out of bounds for me only because I don't feel inclined.... but I shouldn't be made to feel unwelcome there.... not that I have been, AFAICT..!!
If people make inappropriate posts, then so what...as long as the good intention is there. The good natured self mod'......generally.... makes this such a welcoming place, IMV
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps it would help more if we split SZK into 2 sections wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, Perhaps by the simple expedient of leaving him in a cage with a tiger? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, Huhhh, how is having two sections unwelcoming, exclusive or devisive? I would think just the opposite Puzzled

Frosty the Snowman, Good one! I do note that our little gremlin hasnt posted on any of the threads i started supporting BZK's... Does he only spout his shoite when lagered up?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, cheeky imp rather than little gremlin IMHO
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about;
bend ze Ankles all mountain free skiers
bend ze Knees beginners (old school)
bend ze hips racers
bend ze elbow pissheads
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret,

You think " How skiing works" with a highly technical bent will not be exclusive or devisive...people will be made to feel unelcome and not post for fear of being derided...the exact same thing that caused this issue in the first place..only it was the people who wanted to talk technical until the cows came home that got upset and thought that a decamp would help...

I'd say...no no-go areas..whether by purpose or design... If you want the same feel as some other forums then that is exactly the way to do it, IMV..and that would be a a very sad thing. There is nothing much wrong here than a few blow-out haven't fixed...

IMO.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, fair enough, i see where you are coming from now.... not sure i agree that people will be made unwelcome, but rather would know what they are getting into... wouldnt want to start a no - go area, kinda pointless as you say.

But the few blow outs hasnt fixed anything, rather it has completely put off loads of people from posting and has actually created a no- go area IMO
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob wrote:
How about;
bend ze Ankles all mountain free skiers
bend ze Knees beginners (old school)
bend ze hips racers
bend ze elbow pissheads

A beginners section like the one on Epicski may be worthwhile.

I would think people may be more helpful and less argumentative if they are talking to a neophyte.

Less chance, perhaps, of fighting with the original poster and others who join in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo, effectively it is already a beginners' section. The mechanisms you name are already at work.

Still leaves those who want to talk about something above that. And how that is to work if ever.
ski holidays
I feel like this is flogging a dead horse and I give up. I think the best solution to avoid upsetting anyone on snowHead 's is to post any future technical questions on EPIC, thanks all for your input
ski holidays
skimottaret, do what works for you, I've appreciated your enthusiasm and patience among that of others.
snow report
skimottaret,

Why not just start a protocol where the thread states what level you are talking about so individuals can decide whether its talking about them or they are just making noise.

I don't speak form a position of strength - while I'll happily read books or watch vids about skiing I just don't get it in written word alone so Epic style threads just turn me off - embedded vid clips and photos work much better.

& less of people repeating their own hobby horses on every thread ad nauseum might help.

Oh & more tele geekery please wink
ski holidays
FWIW I have enjoyed some of the technical threads even though they are partly over my head, and I don't read them all. It's interesting to see where there is disagreement between some of the instructors, or differences of emphasis, even if I couldn't myself do the stuff they're talking about. I don't see a problem with having posts which are obviously of interest to a limited range of people - that's true of most - I don't go to the Jungfrau (though I'd like to one day) so don't normally read stuff about Wengen. If people don't like stuff, they don't need to read it. The occasional bout of foot stamping, sulking or taking the p*ss is quite entertaining from time to time.

I also don't think many people would easily grasp the difference between "how to ski" and "how skiing works" and maybe it's a false distinction anyway. Explaining to a beginner about the way to do snowplough turns, for example, means explaining how skis work, doesn't it?
snow conditions
skimottaret, I think something similar has been discussed here recently hasn't it Puzzled Personally I don't have a problem with how things are now, but if people feel that their questions fit into either title they could add it to the subject line.
snow report
Quote:

Explaining to a beginner about the way to do snowplough turns, for example, means explaining how skis work, doesn't it?

No, Yes, Maybe Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, stoatsbrother, Well it would clearly take a little more than the two of you. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you win
latest report
Fookin ell. I go away skiing for a few days, and i return to find that sH's have driven away yet another valuable pro contributor? Sad
snow report
veeeight, he's not left, he posted on Friday pm. You gave me a bit of a start there!
snow report
I don't think he's going to bother posting much in BzK by the sounds of it though. Hope i'm wrong.
snow conditions
veeeight, Oh I hope you are wrong too, he has helped me in the past for which I am grateful Sad
snow report
Can I ask who you're referring to?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret
latest report
veeeight, I hope you are wrong too. skimottaret, is too valuable to loose over all this. Many of us really benefit from his posts and dedication to this area of the forum - you only have to look at the glossary to appreciate his time and effort. Crying or Very sad
snow report
so, just to clarify, are the problems being caused by the experts or by recreationals?
snow report
FWIW I think a 'beginners' section could be helpful. Giving folks somewhere to start and somewhere that they are not afraid to ask 'dumb' questions. I'm not unhappy with the current structure, but do think that adding a friendly little 'ask your dumb questions here' section would be welcoming. (and useful to me Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
so, just to clarify, are the problems being caused by the experts or by recreationals?

surely your joking, dont you know everyones an expert here
snow report
AxsMan, Superb idea.
latest report
AxsMan, SMALLZOOKEEPER, What on earth is wrong with novices asking novice questions Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Nowt you daft apeth. Toofy Grin Last time i post on this tired and circular thread.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, A large beer says not Very Happy
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, a large beer says "drink me". For SZK, a thimbleful of whisky is normally enough.

So, the section (better not use the word "dumb", as that's un-PC) how about "Simple questions, simple answers", and then let the rest be for bigger questions/answers.

Could there be a rule put in place that if all a non-instructor wants to say is "I agree", or "isn't he/she wonderful", that that type of post should not be made.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Who is going to define simple? Can instructors say " i agree" or "isn't he/she wonderful"? Are we allowed to say "Thank you for helping me, you're a very nice person"? If we can, which section to say it in?
i think we may be in danger of making posting a bit complicated never mind the answers and that might upset some wink
Couldn't we just ignore the posts we don't like? I don't think you can stop people from posting but you don't have to answer and some comments are clearly made only to innitiate a certain response.
latest report
ickabodblue, no problem with saying "thank you for helping", but if one person asks the question, and an instructor replies, closely follwed by a few people who like the instructor saying "I had lessons with them once, they are wonderful" etc, then it's no longer about the original question, but about the instructor.

It may make things more complicated, but if no guidelines are put in place then the idea of trying to encourage others (instructors/students) to take part doesn't seem to be a worthwhile exercise.

Without guidelines, then I think the best chance for progression would be politeness and respect.
I'd sum that up as follows:
1. Treat others as you want them to treat you - if you are rude/beligerent, be prepared for the same back. If someone is polite to you, you should be polite in your reply.
2. Respect others. Respect the person who asks the question. Respect the person who has taken time to reply. Respect an instructor for their skill. Respect the student who could be the one paying your salary. Respect someone who disagrees with you - they may have a different opinion, but that doesn't make them automatically wrong.
3. If you think that 1 and 2 don't apply to you, then think again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy