Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The new up-market (and ageing) ski bum

Poster: A snowHead
Apparently there's a trend in the States for people to sell up, ship out, and re-enter the ski bum fraternity in their middle ages. And they don't settle for some poky little room in the back end of a shack.

Consider the case of Ken Hilt, 38, who moved to Breckenridge (Colorado) with his 35-year-old wife, Becky Bowers, and their cat, Chester. They live in a 34ft 'recreational vehicle' and earn enough to enjoy the ski fantasy.
Quote:
"We do work a job, almost 40 hours a week. It's terrible. We have to work at least four days a week," Hilt says with a laugh.

Here's how he did it, from The Denver Post.

If anyone has any vocational/practical advice for European middle-aged ski bums, please enter it below.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would suggest finding a job in ski journalism. Perhaps make a few contacts through a snow orientated website.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll be 30 in Dec my girlfriend is 31 and we are off to do a season in La Plagne.

I quit my fantastic job with great money am renting my house while i'm away, my partner is also renting her house while we are away and her company have kept her job open for her! We feel that as neither of us took a year out after uni that we want to experience that feeling now, with the added advantage of being financially secure, slighty (but only slightly) more mature and experienced in life and all it can throw at you!

We are both really excited now, with only 3 weeks to go and all our friends and family are really jelous!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Downey, Lucky you !! I gave it all up the year before last to work a season .. best decision ever !!! You'll have a ball .. only downside is now that I'm back I'm trying to find a way to fund a lifestyle out there permanently!!

Have a great season Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Recently a Barking Bears couple has done nearly the same thing...
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=213722#post213722
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ditto. Decided I needed to do a season and, with a friend, toured the Alps from December to April in a motorhome last season. Best thing I ever did. I was also lucky in that my employer kept my job open for me. The only problems are the cost (although I'm sure I could have done my trip a lot cheaper than I did) and when you get back you start planning how to live out there. Mind you, I can't really consider this a problem - more of a challenge really.

All I can say to anyone considering it is to stop considering it and just do it. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First point 38 is YOUNG not middle-aged!

Yes, do it. You are only here once. I am too old to give up all the crutches of my life and have nothing to sell in the ski resorts in the way of youth, skill, looks or charm, but I will happily subsidise my ski-mad son if he wants to spend some of his precious youth out of the career rat-race and in the ski world.

I'll do it vicariously!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, i'm sure we are related Wink .............fancy subsidising my ski season?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My husband and I (30 and 32 respectively) are both about to do a season in Cham - best decision we have made for a while - although its getting tricky to concentrate at work now..... Have clocked up a grand total of about 2 hours proper work so far today..... We both get extended leave from our jobs which is great, although if they turned round and said we couldn't have it we would both resign.

Are you working in la Plagne Chris? We've decided to just bum - on the basis that the amount you get paid for working in resort is so low you might as well do a 4 month season rather than 5 (i.e. miss Dec) and continue getting paid bigger salary in the UK for that month to fund the holiday!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mwinram, Yes we are working in La Plagne. Our wages out there are not too bad, plus all food, accomodation, skis if needed, and season paradiski lif passes are thrown in.
Your point about doing the 4 month season wouldn't work for us. We both have a mortgage and bills for two houses would have to come out of that extra months wages, so in our case it would be false economy. Plus by running a chalet we are going to have a group of family and friends come out to see us for a week! I'll be ski hosting for 3 days of the week too so that should be fun too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dan, nice try!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 11-11-04 16:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris - Ski hosting must be the best job - actually getting paid to ski..... Have a fab time!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope you all have a very good time, and I'd certainly encourage anyone to try it. However don't forget that not all people working in ski resorts are ski bums - for some of us it's our "proper job!" Little Angel

mwinram, Dont forget, when ski hosting you can't ski for yourself - you have to ski for the slowest in the group (who might be aweful, and you can't abandon them on the mountain). You have to show them the same old same old every week, and some of them are pains in the proverbial.

Chris Downey, Make sure you start on the greens, irrespective of what the clients say about their ski-ing prowess. That way you can chuck out the ones that whouldn't be with that group without risking leaving people up the mountain or spoiling the day for all the others. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still think that as far as jobs in resort go, ski hosting is probably one of the better ones. And remember that for every pain in the a*se, there will be four or five good eggs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
having stayed in a number of chalets with friendly, willing but inexperienced young staff, I have long thought that older, more experienced, people could do a good job. I even thought of starting the Old Bags Chalet Company, to reassure wives and girlfriends whose men wanted a boys own week in the mountains! Then I thought it sounded like v hard work and wondered instead about renting out our house and renting an apartment in a resort for the season. We ended up converting a room in our house to a very nice bed-sitter and renting it out to pay the mortgage on an "off plan" "on piste" apartment in a small (therefore cheap) French resort. We are early-retired (late 'fifties) so have time to spend. Season lift passes are excellent value and living in resort costs no more than living at home. The apartment now exists, this will be our third season and the novelty hasn't worn off yet. Come to think of it, with all the friends and relatives who come to stay, I am a chalet maid - and transfer driver - and ski host - but unpaid. Some of our similarly aged and placed friends are looking for places in the sun. They are missing the point.... the Alps are fantastic almost all year round (except around now, in fact). And when we are spending months in the Alps, our very agreeable lodger, as well as paying the mortgage on the apartment, is looking after the house and cat. It can be done.
latest report
Welcome to snowHeads, pam w snowHead
latest report
I'm off to Val Thorens in three weeks for the season, at the age of 45. Very much looking forward to it - my first season!
snow report
My husband and I (29 and 32) are going to be in Cham Dec 26 for the rest of the season!

We have talked about it for years. My husband has managed to arrange for his job to be left open (he might even do one or two days remotely from the Alps!) I'm about to have a similar conversation with my company.

We have a couple of accomadation options open to us (need to book asap!) and we plan to visit other resorts during the period.

Mwinram - we may see you out there!
ski holidays
Just like to say to the people who are going to spend the season on the snow good luck and enjoy it, Its brilliant.
As a (young!) middle aged couple we decided rather than spend the season on the snow then slot back into our orginal drudge, we bought a small hotel and relocated permanently. Best thing we ever done. Yes, we still have to work, but at least we're doing something we really enjoy and we get to spend quite a lot of time on the snow as well. We have also realised that even during the summer the mountains are every bit as nice as in winter.
snow report
pam w, welcome to SnowHeads. Although not yet old enough to retire. we arte currently buying off plan in Serre Chevalier. Until the kids leave school we will rent it out to cover the costs, but hopefully will do the reverse at a later date. We spent out summer hols in the Alps this year for the first time and wete completely bowled over. Place in the Sun-no. Place in the Sky-yes!!!!
Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm just so jealous of you all. We must stop saying, we want to do it - and just do it! PS - what is off plan?
snow conditions
Cathy Coins, unbuilt, so basically, you see the plans and buy a brand new apartment.
latest report
anyone knowof a good web site or agents to try for seasonairre accomodation in France ?
ski holidays
I have recently resigned from my job at 36 and decided to book a ski holiday in December before going back to work so I go out in four weeks time but only for two weeks Sad

I then thought about working for a season in a resort but I would only be able to strart in January so only part season and it would mean working too many hours and not enough skiing to quench my thirst rolling eyes

So I thought to hell with and booked a twelve week Ski instructor course which involves twenty hours instruction per week with the rest of the time to enjoy the slopes Very Happy
latest report
Hi Shawn Walmsley and welcome to snowHeads snowHead Congrats on your plans for the season! I really must get my thinking hat on cos M Coins & I would both love to chuck our jobs in.....
snow conditions
Thank you for the welcome Cathy Coins, I must admit it is not an easy decision to make but I am glad I made it even though I do feel a little nervious at times about going out and doing something completely new but excited at the same time Confused
snow report
Hang on a second, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the whole thing about ski-bums is that they're meant to have no visible means of support outside skiing. They sleep on friends floors, or pressure pull for the whole season; after forking out for a season's lift pass their wallet stays safely secreted about their person for the rest of the season (unless of course they have touring bindings, in which case no money will ever change hands); for sustenance they rely on the good will of chalet girls (as the bum is invariably male), and have even been known to melt the ice cold hearts of French mountain restaurant waitresses. If they do have any employment it will be of the occasional variety, playing the guitar in an aprés bar, "skiing in" the down hill course when the world cup comes to town, or running an intermittent (and very illegal) taxi service on changeover day.

As for social habits, they are invariably "single", with an air of rugged weatherbeaten charm about them that women seem to find irresistable. This ruggedy mountain man look is also enthusiastically embraced by the species, as having your hair cut and shaving involves a degree of financial outlay. It is rumoured that their skin has blue and white striped markings on it, from continual contact to "Lifa" thermals. Washing is optional, however the ritual of the commando shower is rigidly adhered to in an attempt to damp down the more objectionable odours eminating from the depths of his ski wear. Inevitably his ski suit is an ex ski-school suit of five to ten years vintage, which he won from his good friend Gustav after an all night session of Jaegermeister and poker.

He does of course originate from the southern hemisphere.
(This is my own personal opinion, and in no way represents official snowhead policy)
ski holidays
Hmmm...I did the "I'm scared" tactic. I have kept my regular job while starting a business in the ski travel industry. I only opened a few months ago and have just a few trips booked but if/when it gets busier, then I will leave my "corporate sugar daddy". Smile (kids in school...etc) Has been incredibly fun to build my own business. I was always setting up trips for friends, customers, etc and one of the resorts said, "you bring us a lot of business, why don't you go into it and actually make some money...we'll give you even better discounts". So...I'm hoping to live the dream soon. Once the bookings are up then I get to move to the mountains instead of being 2 hours away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty, as mentioned elsewhere, I would recommend looking at the ski workers website, as jobs/accommodation often pop up there .. www.natives.com

Also, you could try http://www.planetsubzero.com/ for the lodgings ...
ski holidays
I too am off for a 'luxury season', in whistler at the ripe old age of 29.
No working for me thanks very much! I'm in the fortunate position that I can save up enough not to have to work for £3 an hour.
I'm ditching the job (they don't want me back! snowHead ). When the company decided not to let me take 4 months extended leave, it was really a no-brainer. Once in a lifetime oportunity to spend 4 months doing what I love or carry on slaving away in a job I was increasingly disliking - hmmm, tough choice!! NehNeh snowHead
Though such an attitude will probably make me a hate figure for all the hard working seasonaires, I think that going half (well a third) way round the world to not get much time skiing because you have to work would be a bit like torture. I think I prefer my approach of up-front hard work to pay for it before going, then just enjoy it. Very Happy

Like some of the others with the same idea have noticed, it does have problems; I've not really been able to think of much else since deciding to do it (in March!), and now time seems to have slowed to almost a halt while I tick off the days!! Also I've already started thinking about how I can finance the next season snowHead
snow report
stuarth, lucky fellow snowHead
snow conditions
scrapped $600 a month to pay rent? thats crap!

I worked lifts in breck for 3years and will be going back next season, and if they were both working lifts they easily made that!

plus the other benefit of working is the way you get to meet so many people - without having to spend too much time in the bar - although there's nothing wrong with that! Very Happy
ski holidays
stuarth, we too are in the position where we don't HAVE to work out there, but we thought this would be a more fulfilling experience and we would meet aot more people, guests and fellow seasonaires, than if we were living in an apartment all on our lonesome. Good luck to you anyway.
latest report
From an ageing bum Toofy Grin Go for it guys while you've still got the motivation and the legs!! Hate to admit it( and do not wish to sound spoiled Wink ) but there comes a time when yawn, yawn, it's too overcast today...zzzzzz! I no longer want to ski every day! After 20 seasons, each about 40-50days, I was bored(SACRILEGE!! Evil or Very Mad ) and went over to the other side to experience the joys of being a beginner again at the age of 50.
Now I enjoy the luxury of taking the board out on powder days, the skis on others, but the legs rebel and demand R&R(not the one on Blackcomb which I love Wink ). I fully intend becoming a saisonaire in the near future but I may be on the check-out at the supermarket 3 days a week....by choice!
snow report
Like this thread Madeye-Smiley

Im 43 being doing seasons or part thereof ( least was 80 days ) since I was 25 . Some working but I guess around 15 seasons funded from working out of season . Im freelance engineer so I have been somewhat lucky in being able to take off 4-5 months a year Very Happy

I guess in a few years all the workers in resorts will be the reliable over 60's !

Stanton
ski holidays
Well OK, even I'm not planning to ski every day (partly because I'd keel over!).
Going to Canada means that I'd need a working visa, I didn't really want to get into all that, plus I want to spend a bit of time reading up on all the things I haven't really had time to due to work, etc (I did a part time MSc a while back and really didn't have the time to get out of it all that I could (namely an MSc!)). Unfortunately I'll have to go back to work sometime (I do actually like what I do (also an engineer), just not who I do it for!), so I need to stay up to speed with everything.

I have a season lesson pass (Mrs H has a slightly different one), and have generally found the lessons to be very social so we're not going to be entirely isolated. Have friends/family visiting at various times, and also know a few people there who do have to work!
I shall take JonL's advice and spend plenty of time in the bar just in case snowHead
snow report
Pain in the ass ski bumming nowaday's especially going to North America . Never used to have the Alien police like they have in Aspen,Vail etc going round the Hotels,bars etc looking for illegal workers checking your papers & then throwing you out !
Even in Europe like "Cash Austria" its hard for proprieters to pay you if you havent registered & got your Tax number .
Dont the police realise we are only there for fun ? We beg, borrow, dont Steel & then wee wee-off at the end of the season Very Happy
ski holidays
Why are you all claiming middle age? I'm 52 and I'm not middle aged yet. Also I see absolutely no reason to stop teaching ski-ing until/unless the bod packs up or I drop dead (preferably on a mountain).
Go for it all of you, enjoy it, but Mac46, is right. Eventually it does become "normal", and loses some of the fun. I suppose it's inevitable, but a fact of life - so roll in it while you can. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
easiski, anyone who's read your contributions here over the months knows that you're no ski bum. You're a swift, which puts you in quite a different league.
latest report
stuarth, Is that a season lift pass and lesson pass combined or are they separate? While you are in Whistler if there are any 'Freeride Days' advertised dash in there and get your name on the list. Some of W's biggest names take skiers and boarders all over the mountain for a day, completely free.
First time I was fortunate to take part was with Rob Boyd as our leader.....zoom, zoom, zoom! His girlfriend Sherry rode in front of us on her board videoing us...as he turned so did she! total trust....quite amazing! At that time(5yrs ago?) they had different levels, not all Peak to Creek! but after a month of lessons and propping up the bar at the GLC you and Mrs H will be fit for everything NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy