Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Feb 05, where should we go?

Poster: A snowHead
My husband and I are hoping to go skiing for the first time together in February or failing that, over Easter. My husband has skiied before and I learned on dry slopes many years ago but am not confident. Can anyone recommend a good, friendly resort that has a range of slopes for our abilities? I am also looking for somewhere that has other things to do if I find that a weeks skiing is not my thing. Any advice would be great. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads Jen, I would recommend Madonna Di Campiglio, Italy. Great skiing for 1 to 2 week skiers looking to progress, nice town with good restaurants / bars, and things to do if you're not sliding
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh hum, Wengen Switzerland Laughing sorry I had to say that I'm known for my support of that particular resort.

Friendly resort with about 55% intermediate slopes 30% beginners and 5% advanced plus some off piste if conditions allow, 210 km of pistes in the area shared with Murren (the home? of downhill skiing holidays) and Grindelwald.

In Wengen there's a public Ice rink plus several hotels with pools that can be used for a small charge by the public, also a cinema that mainly shows films in English.

Brilliant mountain scenery, lots of different standards of accomodation to choose from, plenty of places you can get to using the area ski pass including Interlaken for a bit of shopping, also winter walking paths and tobogan runs.

Have a look on the Jungfrau Ski Region thread for more info on the area or on my website The Jungfrau Region for some pics (warning the pics on my site are big)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jen, welcome to snowHeads. I will not be much help as I went to Glenshee for my second week - and wouldn't recommend that to anyone!!

I do however have powers of prediction and I will say that within the next few threads recommendations will also include La Rosiere and the resorts of the Tarentaise valley reached from a base at Bourg St Maurice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowheads Jen.. You will no doubt get lots of suggestions and all of them worth considering for their different Merits. We are in Bansko Bulgaria, which although a ski resort that has runs to suit every standard and at a price that wont break the bank, the resort itself is very pretty and rustic with lots of retsaurants, shops, museums etc. So if the skiing bug doesnt kick in (which Im positive it will) there are still things to occupy yourself with.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies so far. I think I now have some idea of where to start my search for accomodation, etc. If anyone has any good websites that make booking the whole thing any simpler, please let me know. Also, would wouls it be an idea to pick up clothes, equipment or could we hire it all there? Thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If just going for a week or two hire skis and boots in resort, get clothes before you go, if you look arround the snowheads forums you will find plenty of suggestions for value for money stockists of ski wear, but in my personal opinion it's worth paying out for a good jacket
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jen, Beware that prices are high and availability in low in February, coincident with British half-term holidays and other European school holidays. You didn't mention children, so you might want to look at other times as well (if possible for you).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As DG Orf said, I would definately recommend hiring equipment in resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you go the first week in Feb you should be ok, also snow conditions in Europe tend to be good then
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jen, weclome to snowHeads!! snowHead

The best place to book it all is www.igluski.co.uk
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As for kit look in the equipment part of the forum for a discussion on cheap clothing..........can't remember the exact name but palces like M&S, TK Maxx etc were suggested for clothes. As for hiring equipment, yes you can do it all out in the resort, you can also hire in the UK............but you have then got to carry it all, and possibly pay for ski carriage depending on the airline you travel with.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I probably won't be alone in recommending Courchevel. Fantastic area for beginners and near beginners with plenty of more challenging terrain to progress to. 1850 is the best area to start from as there are 3 gondalas which empty out onto easy runs. However it is very expensive, even for a French ski resort. If you are on a budget then forget 1850. 1550 is better if you are on a budget as it has a gondala which runs between 1550 and 1850. The blue down to 1550 isn't that difficult either, though you can always take the gondala back if it's icy (as it is sometimes). Lots of people like 1650 as well, but I don't know the area so well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jen, Easter limits you to the resorts with predominantly high-altitude ski areas. You need the bulk of the skiing to be above about 1800m at that time (next Easter is reasonably early, but the snowline will have crept upwards by late March).

February in Wengen, as DGO suggests, would make a fine holiday with relaxed skiing but Wengen at Easter would be grass (at least at village altitude) in a typical winter. For greater snow reliability there's Saas Fee, also in Switzerland. A third choice in that country I'd recommend would be Flims/Laax, in Feb.

One unusual but interesting choice in Feb could be Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Bavaria. This is Germany's biggest ski resort, with a lot to do, and an interesting ski area that includes easy skiing up on the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain).

In Austria, maybe look at Galtur, which has some gentle skiing and an easy bus ride to bigger Ischgl with lots of mid-range skiing and the possibility to ski over to Switzerland and back.

In France, Megeve is really nice, with easy trips into Chamonix for variety. Again, this is best in February.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jen,
Betweeen february and Easter conditions can vary a lot. in an 'average' year you should be able to find good skiing in most resorts in Febrauary whereas in Easter the best snow is usually found in resorts with higher and particularly north facing slopes.

If you go in February you should be aware that French resorts in particular get very crowded as the French all go on holidays then.

I am not very good on none skiing things to do in resorts but in general I would say that None purpose built resorts are more appealing and Swiss resorts usually have a bit more appeal for the none skier.

Most resorts should offer a reasonable amount of skiing for the beginner and early intermediate skier, you will pay a lot of money to go to a well known resort and will not be able to utilise all the skiing you are paying for.

These are great generalities being more specific I would suggest as possibilities
Bormio in Italy
Galtur in Austria
Ok Wengen In Swiss

But there are literally hundreds of other resorts which would probably do just as well.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, For the last couple of years it's been possible to ski back to Wengen right into April especially as snow cannon now cover the lower slopes
latest report
Howdy,

All of the first time skiers I know have always had a great first crack at it in the Austrian resort of Obergurgl. Their ski school is one of the best I have come across (I used to teach with a couple of them in Kaprun in the mid 90's), and the prices are realistic.

www.obergurgl.com is a good site, and I am sure that nearly every resort has a website of this kind for reference.

Best of luck!

Benjj
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, cynic! Jen - for a first trip, I would echo T bar'scomment about February travel - not the best time to visit France, especially the larger resorts, while French schools are on holiday. Easter is definitely better for certain areas of France.

(Ray, take a closer look... you'll find numerous posts of mine waxing lyrical about the joys of skiing in the lesser known southern French resorts, telling people to avoid BSM if it doesn't suit them, to aim to stay up high in certain places.... damn, just mentioned BSM Wink )
snow report
La Plagne is an excellent resort for second weekers. Loads of cruisy blues, high resort level and a sense of actually skiing somewhere as opposed to going up and down the same mountain. It is made up of 10 villages all different in character so you can pick as to what suits you.
ski holidays
I have to say that living here I would echo that the last week in march or first week in april would be my preference over february in France. In terms of prices - you can find some good self-catering prices around. On www.mountain-logistics.net you'll find an idea of prices for nice studios to bigger apartments in Alpe d'Huez. I'm putting a really good studio on in the next couple of days with the most stunning view and for March the price would be about 450euros, so if you fancy ADH have a look at the site (it has lots of local info aswell)! Otherwise Montgenevre is a great resort - little known and with links to the Milky Way is a really good begineers resort but again not in Feb.
snow report
sarah@alpedhuez, but not a lot to do in Montgenevre if Jen doesn't take to skiing, which was one of her criteria. Except maybe going down into Briancon...
snow conditions
There's one day at Easter when Montgenèvre's a great place to be. A series of races for 5 to 8 year olds known as the "Millepattes" - a thousand or so kids in all! Clubs from all over France present, organised chaos, fantastic fun though. At the end, the whole lot of them go on a parade around the village, heartwarming stuff to see so many young children enjoying themselves, and doing something 'healthy' for once.

sarah@alpedhuez, we were at the Alpe d'Huez for the Cristal d'Oisans followed the week after by the national Coq d'Or races, the season before last - about as many children, this time from 10 to 14 year olds, over four days. Great fun, well organised, went like clockwork considering the numbers....
snow report
Quote:

I do however have powers of prediction and I will say that within the next few threads recommendations will also include La Rosiere and the resorts of the Tarentaise valley reached from a base at Bourg St Maurice

Wow Ray what a gift. Can you tell us what's running in the 3 o'colck at Cheltenham.
snow conditions
Jen, Welcome to Snowheads! I'm adding my expected bit here. Try Les Deux Alpes. Not expensive as French resorts go, ski-ing on the glacier guaranteed (and easy) all the time. The village is big but friendly, excellent nursery slopes and a super progression for beginners. You can even stay in a small village nearby if you like. Self catering can be cheap and easy to book, good road links, close to 3 airports - oh I could go on and on ............. Check my website for loadsa details including answers to most of your questions. www.easiski.com
snowHead
snow report
David Goldsmith, as much as i hate agreeing with DGO about anything to do with Wengen he is right regarding the skiing back to the village now. I often look DOWN towards Wengen from Winteregg in Murren and notice that they still have snow but saying that it could be cloud cover snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 10-11-04 22:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Lots of useful suggestions here, but to my mind the most important thing, which will make or break your ski career, is standard of tuition. there are a growing number of excellent British ski instructors around the Alps - and it takes a very good grasp of the language to be able to explain things to different people. I have found the British Alpine Ski School (Les Gets) very good, no more than 6 in a class. You could have 12 in an ESF class. I have used BASS several times, for different levels of skier, though not in the last couple of years. Les Gets is a good resort for beginners, though admittedly with no fancy shopping or nightlife. If you want fancy shopping AND some good instruction, Courchevel is great - and 1650 is the least crowded area, sometimes with the best snow in the 3 valleys. In case anyone asks, - no, I have no commercial stake in any ski school or Les Gets or Courchevel!! All the snowheads who have advised you to avoid the French holidays are absolutely right. Don't go to French resorts between the 7 Feb and the 7 March unless you have no choice, or enjoy standing in queues.
ski holidays
Been away from the site for a week or so, so rather late picking up on this one. I've a lot less skiing experience than many here (only 6 weeks so far), but that might be an advantage as I'm not so far removed from the beginner thing. pam w, has hit the nail on the head - it's the tuition, stupid. Go to a resort with a good reputation for tuition, and if you're not happy with your instructor, drop him/her and find another immediately.

The skiing press (e.g. the excellent Where to ski and snowboard - buy it!) stereotypes European tuition as patchy but improving, with North America offering consistently high standards. Have you considered North America? It seems like a long way but if you need to ski in February, it might actually be cheaper as you won't be competing with the local school holiday rush.

I'd recommend Breckenridge as a fantastic place to learn to ski - a great ski school, lots of easy, confidence-building runs and a beautiful town.
snow report
I generally avoid France in February (though I'm sure that's a bit too much of a blanket rule). I have found the Swiss & Austrian resorts (esp. ones that are less big with the British) tend to be good at that time of year. That said, we did go to Cervinia at half term two years ago and didn't have any/much problems with queues - and that's supposed to be one of the main Italian resorts for the British (so you'll probably find other resorts even better).

One advantage of a Swiss resort is that travel elsewhere will generally be pretty good on the local transport.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I recoment Arinsal in Andorra, purley for the cheapness and friendlyness of the place, Exellent coaching for beginner to intermediate, Tax free shopping, good night life and of course greate snow especially if you go in feb. ps good sunshine too.
snow conditions
Quote:

Have you considered North America? It seems like a long way but if you need to ski in February, it might actually be cheaper as you won't be competing with the local school holiday rush.

Except that February 21st is President's Day, and lots of schools have the entire week off. They call it "Ski Week" - I wonder why!

Actually I was going to suggest N. America too - most resorts have lots to do off slope, and the ski school is an integral part of the resort. But then I'm biased! Smile
ski holidays
Jen,
Hi,

Guessing a bit here, but for someone who is not entirely sure of the holiday I would pick a resort that would not scare you to death so you are likely to persevere and therefore alternative activity is less of an issue. So I would look at Austria or Switzerland where there is perhaps more emphasis on an all-round experience than just skiing. I agree that in the right conditions Wengen looks a good choice on paper. I haven't been there but I know that it is a stunning village, good ski area and well connected enough to take a day out shopping in Interlaken...!!! It is relatively low so pick a time when the snow record is supposed to be its best. Feb would be my pick although I don't know how half term affects the Swiss.
In Austria I would think Sallbach, which is at 1000m. Again go in Feb. The skiing is confident inspiring the resort is pretty and small, you can't lose the apre-ski because the village isn't big enough although it wasn't rocking when I went there. It has umbrella bars and oompah bars which start up as soon as the lifts close. Great fun! Also, a day trip to Salzburgh is feasible, many tour ops run one from here. If you are under 30 these resorts might not be lively enough for you. If you want a 'younger' resort but the same sort of set-up, think Soll, attractive, good ski, low altitude and go Feb for the best likelyhood of the best conditions. Ditto Kitz, but is not my favourite..!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy