Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving drills

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ssh wrote:
Mark Hunter wrote:
So if you're taking wider traverses, or a sharpish turn at higher speed, transferring your weight in good time and getting the pressure on nice and early will indeed initiate the turn.

Traverse? Why traverse? Consider, instead, to always be turning...

You see? The inexperience shining through again! Of course I meant turning Wink

Oh, and thanks ssh. BTW, when extending what will be the new downhill ski, am I correct in assuming, in physical terms, that the ski in question is actually thrust infront of the other in tandem with everything else?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark Hunter wrote:
ssh wrote:
Mark Hunter wrote:
So if you're taking wider traverses, or a sharpish turn at higher speed, transferring your weight in good time and getting the pressure on nice and early will indeed initiate the turn.

Traverse? Why traverse? Consider, instead, to always be turning...

You see? The inexperience shining through again! Of course I meant turning Wink

Oh, and thanks ssh. BTW, when extending what will be the new downhill ski, am I correct in assuming, in physical terms, that the ski in question is actually thrust infront of the other in tandem with everything else?

Oh, my, here we go!

I think, in general, the answer to your question is "No." However, I want to make sure that I understand the question well before I make so blunt an answer!

In general, it's our bodies that we move forward, not our skis. See Bob Barnes' illustration 13 part way down this thread on EpicSki. See how we keep our bodies at a relatively perpendicular aspect to the slope of the moment? As the slope "gets steeper" when we are downhill, we need to be "more forward" to stay over the skis.

Make sense?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssh wrote:
Mark Hunter wrote:
Great stuff going on here - really useful. Could someone perhaps explain if my understanding of the following is correct.

On my last lesson, the guy I was being coached by said that when I was about to execute a turn to get the pressure on early. By this, I assumed he meant transferring weight to the uphill ski quite early in the turn to initiate the turn. It seemed to make sense and work at the time, so I'm guessing that the interpretation is correct.

Mark, this is also called "inside leg extension," the idea being that at the beginning of the transition, one extends the old inside/new outside progressively to help the CoM move across the skis into the new turn. This move can really create some dynamism to the turns, but there are some interesting body configuration issues in this, including the amount of hip counter, pelvic contraction, and so on.

OK...."one extends the old inside/new outside". Please define "extend" as my interpretation is clearly wrong. If it's relatively easy to explain on this virtual ski slope Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You don't ski with straight legs. So, to extend a leg, you just bend it less - compared with the other (more bent) leg, it's relatively extended.

That's my take on it anyway. Does that make sense?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh, it's OK. On reflection and looking at "Bob's" diagram again, I reckon I'm there. Thanks - can relate it to my last lesson.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry masopa, missed that one (must learn to type faster) - makes perfect sense, thanks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark, you can iniatate turns by moving a ski forward or indeed backwards, it goes back to the 3 elements that make up a turn, pressure, edge and turn. When I was doing my instructor training we used to spend a lot of time seeing how many different ways a turn could be iniatated. But, one of the best pieces of advise I've had was from an Italian ski instructor many years ago 'skiing is easy - just like walking, you move one foot in front of the other'
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers David. Learning how to do it and doing it is fine. Linking all that to technical terms is where the gap is - well possibly was after all your help. So thanks all, once again.

And just to think, I've got ll of next week to put it all together. Fanbloodytastic Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy