Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motivating onself for exercise

Poster: A snowHead
I guess this is a bit out of the piste area but seeing as everyone here is probably getting their fat old back bottoms in the gym in preparation of some lovely powder, figured I'd stick it in here.

Any tips on getting motivated to go to the gym? I usually go with another person as that helps but when that's not the case it takes a lot of doing for me to get my back bottom over to the gym which is a 10 minute walk. Usually I go couple times a week but going now daily to prep up the knee for skiing and at same time I want to do the exercise (I'm one of those people who enjoy it Shock ) but I'm also incredibly lazy...

So yes.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found going first thing in the morning worked for me, I too only have a 10 minute walk to the gym. If I set the alarm to 6am, I'm too befuddled to think of an excuse not to go - I do only go a couple of days a week though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I do only go a couple of days a week though

ONLY??? Only get up at 6 am to go to the gym twice a week??? My, what a lazy bones.

My gym is too far to walk. I wonder about going by car, then decide that it is irresponsible to contribute to global warming by driving to a gym...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmaah, if you find the answer, please let me know! I have nobody to go with and the nearest gym is about 5 miles away - along a hilly fast road that is too lethal for biking, and I leave home too early to go there beforehand anyway. There is a gym at the uni where I work, but I have absolutely nowhere to leave anything, not even a soaking wet coat so I have to carry every last thing round with me all day to the students' lectures and I am not that keen on carrying an entire gym kit around!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmaah, this is easy... find a cross-country trail. Place a steak & kidney pie every 200 metres and run from one to the next one eating the pies as you go (5 pies = 1 km). The incentive to reach the very end should be a keg of scrumpy (that's healthy because it's only apples really). Follow this routine daily and you'll be fit in no time. Or you could just force yourself to go up the gym.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmaah, it is tricky, isn't it?
The difficult bit is just getting out of the front door: once on your way you are usually fine.
Tim Schmidt (CEO of the Eden Project) has a strategy he calls "future truths".
Announce to everyone you are going to the gym - best make is specific with days and times - then you have really to to go.
Works for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmaah, Interesting Thread. I love to Ski, i love to MTB, i love to climb and i live in Chamonix. However, motivating myself to leave, prepare and go do something is a killer, once there you won't get me away.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm severely losing to the sofa at the moment. Damn Xbox, damn laptop, damn Sky+. Hell on that note damn snowheads its making me sit here now!!
Less than 2 months till I go, so might still have time - but its going to require a serious kick up the.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been going to the gym regualrly for about 6-8 weeks now and it is getting easier, I think its getting in the routine so keep with it and you just start to go more automatically. I also booked a session with a personal trainer which was very worthwhile. I was going and spending at least 1hr to 1hr 30 mins there. I went to the personal trainer and he gave me a 30 min routine, its shorter but at a much higher intensity than what I was doing. I now feel much more likely to go as not being bothered to do 30 mins feels really lazy Smile Also just a thought but if you did no excercise before and started going to the gym every day, this seems like a really big change, maybe you should cut it down to 3-4 times a week and try to do something else like cycle or go for a walk on the days you're not at the gym. if you set yourself really high targets and fail it can be off putting, maybe set them a bit lower and you might be able to exceed them???
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I usually go in the evening 8.45pm-10.20pm depending on when I leave, mainly cause then is the "off-peak" times. True, I haven't been in a while but even before then I'd go couple times a week at most so the daily thing is a kick in the backside for sure. Needs to be done though...

NewSkier, surely the uni or the gym has some kind of lockers where you can store stuff?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I find that the trick is to go every day. If I aim to go every day then I don't have any excuse not to go on any given day, whereas if I aim to go three times a week, then I manage to think of reasons why this particular day shouldn't be one of the three.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmaah, I think if you tell someone you are going to do something it helps - even us lot on here. So far I said I would exercise on my home machine most nights, and since saying it I have not gone longer than 3 nights without going on it. Although I would like to be getting on it everynight. Motivation to get off the sofa is the key I must start to find - last year I exercised every day for three months solid.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have difficulty motivating myself to do exercise rolling eyes but I went for a wander up the hill behind my house today. I turned around at about 300m when the going got too boggy. I did enjoy it though. Here is a view of the Skye Bridge (far left) and the Metropolis that is Kyle of Lochalsh.

Makes it easyer when there are views like this. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
II, Thats really unfair.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am trying to motivate myself to go out on a run.
Dark, wet and miserable out there, and no decent view
But I bet II can't see much out there just now.
I will get off my butt and go running, I will get off my butt and go running, I will . . . . .
ski holidays
Jonpim,
It's dark by 4pm at the moment. But I've been trying to get fit this last couple of weeks and find that if I have a routine it really helps I’m finishing work at 3pm at the moment and come home and exercise – run or walk or bike or exercise bike if the weather is awful.
latest report
That piccy brings up an issue that I wondered at earlier on today. When you live with view like that or high in the mountains, do you ever get fed up with them and wish you were someone else?
latest report
Why is it that the sun seems to start setting at 3pm? It's as if I'm in the arctic circle... Not that I mind, just a bit odd...

Going to gym now.... once I finish reading the other posts on this forum... Ehem.
snow conditions
Megamum, If you go about doing your day to day things you tend not to notice it but if you spend a little time and take it in it’s great Very Happy
What’s not great is being 1 1/2 hours from Inverness and 4 hours from Glasgow. rolling eyes

The rest of the panorama:

snow report
II, It's fabulous - thanks for sharing your view.
snow conditions
II, I'm also 4 hours from Glasgow (and similar to Inverness) - so what's you point? Toofy Grin
You got internet, you are surrounded by distilleries, and you got just about the best scenery in the UK.
I'll swap any time. Very Happy
snow conditions
Timmaah, nope, no lockers for student support staff whatsoever. There are apparently too many of us to provide facilities for and the uni gym has only got lockers available while you're actually in there. I investigated last year and moaned loudly but to no avail!
latest report
Timmaah, I have a slight problem with my exercise schedule - I went and did the machine tonight (goaded by this thread), and have noticed that I've worn the surface off of the bungee cord. This makes me slightly reluctant to use it in case it goes twang - I think it would sting my fingers big time - I'm now trying to work out a method of binding the cord and getting some more months out of it.
snow conditions
Well physio said I should go daily, I managed 5/7 days which isn't bad. Would have gone today but have an essay due in like 8 hours so didn't. Really need to pile on the work though in order to go skiing though. In all fairness, if it wasn't for the goal being skiing I wouldn't really have much motivation to go to the gym.

Megamum, Excuses, excuses!
latest report
Timmaah, I wrote this document to inspire people, with or without chronic health problems, to exercise. Some of my personal training clients have found it useful, although not all of it applies to them. If it helps you to get motivated, all well and good, if it doesn't, well no harm done.

Here's the document (pdf)
snow report
Megamum, why don't you just replace the bungee?
ski holidays
I have to drag myself to the gym 3 times a week and I do some tae-bo dvds on the 'off days'. I'd highly recommend them. Billy Blanks is hilarious in an over-the-top-american kinda way and it's high octane (read over very quickly) stuff. I also reckon that it has to be very good for your balance and legs but the proof of the pudding ....

My best motivating factor is the remembrance of the 1st time I went skiing and was as fit as I've ever been and learned so much and fell in love with the whole thing. My other best motivating factor is the remembrance of the 2nd time I went skiing when I only barely bothered to get up off the couch before going - total disaster of a week; I was rubbish and miserable and regressed if anything. Never ever again.

So c'mon everyone .. no pain, no gain, feel the burn, etc. etc. snowHead
ski holidays
pam w, I don't know it they're the sort of thing that you can buy replacements for - a replacement would be the best bet though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy