Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 'snowcam'

Poster: A snowHead
Also back last weekend, we were skiing on groomed ice / snow down to 1600. Higher up there were powder turns to be had, although the off piste was heavy. Queues quite long from midstation lifts to stay high after lunch, and the Peisey runs without artificial snow are sporting "plaque de terre / patch of ground (sic)" signs or shut, but in general good end of season snow with lots of fun to be had, just a nast slushy home run to Peisey. Colder weather this week seems to be keeping the status quo. There was a big lake at the Vanoise Express on the La Plagne side. be careful skiing home to Les Arcs, but we had a great 20 minutes watch people ski into knee deep water!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-04-05 9:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like it's snowing in Les Arc right now...............

Now it just needs to stay cold for 3 more weeks.......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was raining a bit last night - but I was up in Meribel (1400m) this morning, and you could see the snowline getting lower and lower, with wet snow finally reaching the village around 10am. On my way back to Bourg at 11 it was snowing down to 1200m. Although it's coming down pretty heavily at the moment, the quantities expected aren't huge I'm afraid...

Still the longer the cold snap lasts, the better...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just snowed in Newcastle !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great conditions ... for those able to ski Sad ... at the moment! Webcam updated at last.

http://alpesprovence.net/bsm/webcam.htm - this morning's photo of the slopes at 1600.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent PG, thanks for the update.

Is this the slope that will be closing when we arrive. The conditions higher up must be fine if thats the case.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paul Mason, That's the one. Long range looks interesting. Warmish this week, then a little rain / snow around Friday with the F/L approx 2,000m. Another cooler spell expected just after the weekend... As it stands, if accurate, there shouldn't be too much loss of cover...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's encouraging PG. Do you know if the nursery slopes at 1800 will be kept open once the rest of the 1800 pistes are closed? It would be much more convenient for me if I could ski down to the Transarc each morning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a bit frustrating this year. Unlike last season they've decided it's not worth making the effort for the few punters on the slopes for the last week, so no slopes will be groomed in the 1600/1800 domains. Last year I was skiing groomed slopes at 1600 on May 2nd Evil or Very Mad

That doesn't mean you won't be able to get down to 1800 from the Col de la Chal though, unless things deteriorate radically. The problem will be that getting across to 1600 may prove too difficult.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Appreciate the last webcam shot was taken in late afternoon (maybe last runs of the day...) but there are only about 13 sliders visible on the piste. Definitely an unlucky number. You can understand where the resort is coming from in partial domaine closures if there just isn't the volume of traffic to make it worthwhile. All rather sad.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are rather more sinister motives. Certain management/promotion companies cover several resorts when one single powerful lift company operates all of them. It has been suggested that they prefer to concentrate visitor numbers in a single resort at the expense of others. It is a fact that promotional efforts for the last week of the season at Les Arcs have been conspicuous by their absence, while other resorts have had big drives with joint accommodation/ESF tuition offers, etc.

It may be a way to concentrate resources, cut down on costs - but certain employees lose a much needed week's pay as a result of such 'commercial' decisions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowforecast predicting the following for Les Arcs between Friday am and Tuesday pm

207 cms at top station and 94 at mid station !

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs.0to6top.shtml

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul Mason, can't see where you get the 207 cms from?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nor me? but any snow is good IMO.And,if their forecast is anywhere near,it will be cold enough to preserve whats already there.

With luck,there will be a couple of 1/2 decent dumps pre bash.Looking good snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the 12 noon 6 day forecast had similiar amounts up high for Courcheval, but the 6pm has reduced that a fair bit.
snow report
PG, it did add up to 207 - it must have changed ! Honest, I can add up.
snow report
thar's weird. there's a pink bar saying that today is a free day on the snow-forecast site, but it's still asking me for a username and password to view that 6 day forecast.

Still, the three day forecast look sgood Smile
latest report
I have to say I've never seen such an enormous quantity of snow predicted on such a short forecast. Should we be getting PG a boat?
ski holidays
Paul Mason, I saw that report too I can restore you confidence in your ability to add up cos my words were 207cm bl@@dy hell Shocked
latest report
Hopefully this will be one of the last shots of Arc 1600 for a day or two! The promised snow should be arriving soon. Note the virtual absence of skiers in the photo - and as I look up now, there's not a single person on the Cachette.

http://alpesprovence.net/bsm/webcam.htm - this morning's shot, taken just after half ten.

It seems that the resort makes little effort to attract the end of season skier - as mentioned elsewhere, the logic seems to be that the SMA lift company - as part of the huge Compagnie Des Alpes which covers numerous domains - favours a marketing operation that pushes a small number of its operations in order to concentrate their resources, and at considerably lower cost of course. Tough on those working the businesses in the resorts that are excluded, though! Not to mention those tourists who do come, and who might expect a better service, as well as more of the domain to be open.
snow conditions
Quote:
and as I look up now, there's not a single person on the Cachette.

Yeah but Gollet, Arolles( maye have got the name wrong?) and Monte Blanc are all packed. wink
snow conditions
I trust you'll update us if the precipatation starts today PG, forecast is looking good, well over a metre high up in Courcheval and Les Arcs forecast.
snow report
Russell, thanks - phew !
snow conditions
Is that a north facing slope PG? If it's at 1600m it seems to holding snow well, and looks like some tree skiing could be had if the visibility is bad Very Happy
ski holidays
gregh, yes, north-facing - despite the rain they've maintained it well, but had piled up big stocks of snow during the extremely cold spell. Now if I'd panned slightly to the right, you'd see the effect the rain has had on the natural snow among the trees Sad - not good. In fact I'll take a shot now ....
latest report
Apologies for quality, very flat light at the moment, and at extreme range...

All three taken at around 1600m, north-facing, either side of the main 1600 resort.

http://alpesprovence.net/bsm/images/webcam/avril15trees%20001.jpg
http://alpesprovence.net/bsm/images/webcam/avril15trees%20002.jpg
http://alpesprovence.net/bsm/images/webcam/avril15trees%20003.jpg
snow report
ah ok, thanks for posting, so that knackers my plan of tree skiing then! Any sign of the snow/rain starting????
snow report
If you could find a forest above 2000m it would be bliss right now! No sign yet - the sky's getting increasingly grey though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.sfdrs.ch/system/frames/highlights/meteo/index.php?/content/highlights/meteo/akt_radar.shtml

NB due to the nature of radar in hills/mountains some precipitation is likely to be missed. There may be some extra returns, too but they tend to be good at getting rid of those these days. Also, because of the nature of snow (unless it's very wet), the rates can look lower than they are - or maybe a heavy looking band within a what looks like a very light band.
snow conditions
I need an "X marks the spot" for Les Arcs! Any particular blob in the right vicinity? Smile
snow report
Do you know where you are in relation to the Italina & Swiss borders? Check "Grenzen" and you'll see those highlighted.
snow conditions
Ah yes, doh, you told me that before rolling eyes

Interestingly quantities of snow forecast have dropped a lot, and the snowline has plummeted too - right down to 700/800m later in the weekend, when they were originally forecasting 1700m.

Looking at that link of yours the mass of rain-bearing cloud seems to be drifting to the north of us a little...
snow conditions
your getting greedy Pete, the 6am snow-forecast for Les Arcs 3199m has

65cm today
73cm Sat
19cm Sun
21cm Mon
14cm Tues
Wed sunny powder frenzy!!
snow report
Well today's 65cm had better hurry up, 3 pm and not a drop!
ski holidays
Laughing
snow report
looks like rain/snow on some 3 Vallee webcams.....
ski holidays
Given the location of the cloud mass on skanky's radar link, I thought it would get to the bottom end of the Tarentaise valley first - and may even pass Les Arcs by.

In the event, not a drop of rain in Bourg last night before midnight. So much for the 65 cms! Some rain in the early hours. Caught a glimpse of 1600 around 7 am - the snow line was at exactly 1600m, in line with the resort. Since then heavy rain on and off, and with the temperatures falling, the snowline should be gradually coming down... Smile Madeye-Smiley Smile
snow report
yeh courcheval website says 3cm fresh at 1850, 7cm at 2700m, but looks like it is still snowing there......
ski holidays
It hasn't stopped coming down since the early hours of this morning. Rain, then sleet, now heavy snow, huge flakes for the past hour or so. Just starting to settle as well.
snow report
glad I've got my winter tires still on then Very Happy I'm going to Morillon just as soon as I've had lunch.

It was the same last weekend though, we were over in Luasanne and it was binning down with snow on the autoroute there and back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy