Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cloud-seeding -v- snowmaking: which is most cost-effective?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The arcane science of cloud-seeding - through the use of silver iodide particles - to induce rainfall or snowfall is of interest to ski resorts which devote large annual budgets to snowmaking.

This interesting article from today's Rocky Mountain News focuses on the use of cloud-seeding and snowmaking in Colorado, where several resorts split their budgets between the two processes. Consider this quote:

Quote:
It costs roughly $60,000 per resort for a season-long cloud-seeding program, which started Monday at Beaver Creek and Vail. By comparison, Vail spends $1 million a year to make snow mechanically and consumes 120 million gallons of water in the process. Beaver Creek spends $1.6 million on snowmaking, according to Jensen. [Bill Jensen, Vail Mountain's senior vice president and chief operating officer].
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah but cloud seeding only works when there are clouds to seed. Snowmaking works as long as it's cold enough
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gosh that's scarey money for snow making. Especially if these are annual running costs and there is the original equipment installation also to be considered. Here's a short earlier thread on the topic of cloud seeding in Australia with a view to easing a drought and at the same time benefiting skiing conditions.
D G Orf, I'm no expert on the subject but isn't the idea that the tiny particles create clouds where none would normally form. But in general I take your point about the reliability of fixed snow cannons compared with the less verifiable effects of seeding.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kuwait_ian, I can't remember if the clouds actually have to be there, I think they do, but I do remember that it can only be used under certain specific atmospheric conditions relating to humidity teperature and so on
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely the much lower cost of cloud seeding even if the results are unpredictable worth while. Does the increase levels of silver iodide washed on to the land have any effect on the plant and animal life ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
come up with some info on cloud seeding
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Russell, good stuff in there including
Quote:
Using silver iodide (the most common seeding material) as an example, the typical concentration of silver in rainwater or snow from seeded cloud systems is less than 0.1 micrograms per liter. This is much below the U.S. Public Health Services stated acceptable concentration of 50 micrograms per liter.
which seems to answer your question on affecting plant or animal life.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was supprised that so little is used I am now infavour of a massive cloud seeding program across the Alps I think we should start a new company snowheads cloudseeding ltd Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cloud nine would probably fit this little community perfectly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's the much earlier thread we had on this topic which generated quite a 'heated' discussion. {Unfortunately the link in PG's first post no longer works - but others still do}
Russell, well we've got a few snowHeads with their heads in the clouds already. snowHead snowHead snowHead The trouble in the Alpes is not so much lack of snow fall but the blasted stuff melting on the lower slopes. Evil or Very Mad
D G Orf, I think you're right after all. I stand corrected. The cold seeding method relies on getting the seed crystals into a patch of supercooled water particles (i.e. a cloud) and the seeding causes the precipitation, not the cloud formation as I thought earlier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why the need for cloud seeding with silver iodide. I thought that every cloud had a silver lining anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing That's the sort of quip that has my daughters rolling their eyes - I liked it though
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, investing for a rainy day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some time ago, I posted a link on epic to an article about the effect of general small particles on overall snowfall, but the word "pollution" apparently led the thread participants to hold forth on global warming Puzzled Shocked Confused Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy