Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA- excess (ski's) baggage costs

Poster: A snowHead
Am using BA to Geneva at Christmas (via airmiles to keep cost down), note that they charge for ski's as excess baggage.

Anyone know how much they charge?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, there goes their one advantage over Ryanair. (As far as I know EasyJet don't usually charge, though they reserve the right to if they are very full).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never had a problem and I've travelled at Xmas with Skis several times (albeit to Verona, not Geneva). I always arrive 2+1/2 before take off. They only ever weighed my case and bootbag (about 19Kg). Skis went down to oversize conveyor, no charge.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try and stay within your overall baggage allowance and you should be ok. (I went to Cyprus with BA last month and the allowance was 23k per person.) For european flights, if they do decide to charge you, then it's generally at £10 per kilo. although you "may" be able to haggle on this.

When we flew home, we were a total of 12 kilos over between us and they didn't charge us even though the flight was full.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When you think about it, a check-in person isn't likely to be under the beady eyes of a bean-counter who looks at the baggage they've accepted and whether they've charged for it - or are they?

If you were a check-in person, would you want to make yourself unpopular? I guess the real skill in this, for the passenger, is to choose the desk with the person whose appearance conveys generosity and love of excess baggage.

Ryanair say they are planning to demand cabin baggage only, and presumably the next step is only to sell tickets to passengers who suffer from anorexia nervosa.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have heard that some check-in staff get a commission for any excess baggage they charge for, which may explain why some are keener than others to charge (even if it does cause them hassle!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skis, sticks, skibag = 8kg, boots 4kg = 12kg.total. Even worse if you take 2 pairs of skis!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Easyjet take sports gear up to 10kg free of charge, including skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Ryanair say they are planning to demand cabin baggage only, and presumably the next step is only to sell tickets to passengers who suffer from anorexia nervosa.
Nice one Laughing Is this for real? Surely they would lose half their clients.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nope, no joke, excess baggage been the subject of much debate over on the cycling forums I frequent
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They have said they will increase their hand luggage allowance to 7 kg, and will check-in baggage if you require, however you will have no free checked-in baggage allowance, and will be charged for every kilo.

Michael O'Leary has stated that most of their customers are only travelling for a few days, and that when he is travelling he would rather buy 'hairdryers etc' when he gets there than lug it with him !!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well Ryan scare won't be getting many skiers will they Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've never been charged by BA for carrying a snowboard bag, so presumably skis would be ok as well. As always be nice to them, and try and turn up early with all documents ready.......also the rest of your group if travelling together.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just rang Ryan air and they say that they charge £17 for a ski bag each way. This is the same if it contains one set of skis or two, so obviously everyone should share ski bags.
Also skis should be PRE-BOOKED. Be warned.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
EasyJet gives 20kg baggage allowance, 10g allowance for sports kit and a huge allowance for hand luggage (you just have to be able to lift it into the overhead locker yourself). So as long as you pack a load of stuff in a suitable carry on bag you shouldn't have any trouble at all.....here's hoping anyway!
latest report
Thanks for that. Will make sure we are all there and smiling sweatly at all times, with no demands for special seats etc. Will do my best to stay below the 23 kg allowance as £10 per kg would add a fair bit to cost.
ski holidays
I went on a BA charter last year and made sure my kit including skis all came inside the total baggage allowance. This wasn't particularly hard to achieve and I think gives you a strong case if they do try to charge you.

I wasn't charged for skis.
latest report
Quote:

sell tickets to passengers who suffer from anorexia nervosa.

Quote:

Surely they would lose half their clients.

Laughing yes but they'd still think they were carrying excess.
ski holidays
homphomp wrote:
EasyJet gives ... a huge allowance for hand luggage (you just have to be able to lift it into the overhead locker yourself). So as long as you pack a load of stuff in a suitable carry on bag you shouldn't have any trouble at all.....here's hoping anyway!

I had a load of hassle from a grumpy quEasyjet check-in clerk at Edinburgh over an overweight carry-on bag. I had to take my laptop out and carry both items separately. Absurd! Once I was round the corner I re-packed it. There was a note on my boarding pass however, which the guy at the gate either didn't notice or he decided that forcing the issue wasn't worth the hassle.
snow report
Never been charged from Jersey - Gatwick - Geneva with BA !
ski holidays
From the BA website

Snow Ski Equipment
Defined as one pair of skis and ski poles, one pair of bindings and boots - is carried as one piece of baggage under the piece system. Under the weight system the equipment is included in the baggage allowance and then normal excess baggage charges apply.
A snowboard or monoski will be classed as one piece of baggage for the piece system and within the passengers total weight allowance for the weight system with normal excess baggage rates applied if excess to the allowance.

Find out what system you are on-piece or weight-and plan accordingly.
latest report
I am very happy with BA from Gatwick, and have never had any issues with luggage. Also we have been over an hour in the hold over Turin while a thunderstorm closed the airport - not every airline carries the fuel for this. If you are worried about luggage, consider buying a Swiss ticket for the same flight and check if the allowances are different.
But it's interesting that nobody on this thread reports any problems...
snow conditions
laundryman, The unlimited hand luggage thing is new....only came in a few months ago...we took a huge carry on bag, bulging with stuff, when we flew out a couple of months ago and they just looked at it to see if it would fit in the overhead. It was great not to have to wait watching luggage trundling round the carousel at the other end.
snow report
homphomp, That's really useful to know - I must have been one of the last 'victims'!. Thanks. Smile
latest report
A couple of years ago I travelled to and from Canada with a snow board bag which on the way back weighed 65kg, and didn't get charged for it. That was in the good old days, when sports equipment was carried free of charge as part of you ticket terms and conditions.
snow report
Colin: I saw the same, which is what gave me the panic. But I think I will not worry too much from what other's say.

I'll get there early, but will try and organise the packing so that I am well within the limits.
ski holidays
65Kg snowboard!!!!!
ski holidays
laundryman, Check the website...there's an official size limit on the bag, maybe once more people start to take lots on board the might start to enforce the size limit!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp, theres also a size limit on hold lggage, for those who like to put it all in one bag and then slip a disc lifting it Confused :
Allowable dimensions for British Airways mainline aircraft:

Aircraft Dimensions cms Dimensions ins
ATP 83 x 50 x 99 cms (33 x 20 x 39 ins)
737 254 x 86 x 76 cms (100 x 34 x 30 ins)
757 241 x 101 x 38 cms (95 x 40 x 15 ins)
A320/319 217 x 65 x 50 cms (85 x 25 x 19 ins)
B747/767/777's No restrictions No restrictions
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy