Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski's...Where do all the old ones go?

Poster: A snowHead
I am curious, when you upgrade, what do you do with your old ski's?

Particularly curious as would like to think I could afford to upgrade myself later on, but couldnt unless could get easy sale of old pair...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I give my old skis away to one of the adaptive ski programs, they are always grateful to receive equipment Little Angel donations.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Robbie, Have you got details and what age of skis will they take
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Robbie, maybe you could share the details of that? I'm sure some other people might like to help.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry guys, not dropped back in to see the replies.

Last time i gave my equipment away was in Whistler last season (gave them a single ski after breaking the other one!!), to their adaptive ski program. They are always very grateful to receive any equipment, irrelevant of age or condition. If it is older stuff they take it apart and use the bits.

Do the Uphill Ski club need donations here in the UK?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have put a few e-mails out there trying to get through to the uphill ski club to see if they want ski's.

Will post details when I get details.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris M-J,

You could ebay them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have 3 pairs of old skis, all pre "carving" and I can't imagine using them again.
If anyone finds some organisation that might want them I'd be happy to donate.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
coat racks, shot skis, sell them, rock skis, dryslope skis, urban skis ( Wink ), charitys or if all else fails, the bin!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have just sent an e-mail to the fund raising team at uphill ski club. As soon as I get a reply I will post. (I have asked if there is any limit to age, type etc), also where we should take them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First skis for good - old (last pair) for rocks - totally worn out ones to the shed for plastic/snow in the UK.

Straight skis make excellent toboggans with a bit of board attached.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, I like the toboggan idea Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Russell, those things can be fast, don't break anything before the season. No brakes other than your hands, feet (and head).

Tomato stakes are much slower and safer. Perhaps a nice clematis?

Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A-HA! I FOUND THEM!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got a couple of pairs of old skis decorating the porch of our chalet, usually give old pairs to any charity shop that will accept them. There are often Ski Bourses in France, usually in aid of local schools, also a good source for equipment. I know of one snowhead who bought a pair of skis for 40 Euros. Before anyone says anything, they're Dynastar Intutivs, 3 seasons old at most, with Look 12 bindings. On ebay in the UK at least £120.00
snow conditions
Locally, old skis seem to get made into chairs for the apres bar, or can be found stuck in the snow next to the lift line, with a tissue box attatched!? Well, I suppose it makes them useful! (note to self - must ask genius friend to take digital photos of such items, and then teach me how to use the computer effectively so I can include them in posts - because I haven't a clue!) (further note to self - might need a digital camera first!) Smile
latest report
remember kids when sawing old skis to make furniture do so in a well ventilated area preferably wearing some sort of facemask/breathing apparatus as they tend to contain the sort of things it is best not to inhale in powdered form, unless they are really old and made entirely of wood, but even then sawdust is not the best thing for the lungs.
snow conditions
This may be a wild idea, but would your local dry slope take old Skis in good condition. Lets face it most of the hire skis at dry slopes as trashed anyway. The John Nike run slopes still seem to have a large stock of old style straight skis (at least Swadlincote does). It's worth asking, especially the council run slopes, which are usually seen as minority sport facilities (true, believe it of not), so get small budgets.

I thought one of the traditional ways of getting rid of old skis was to abandon them in the hotel ski room and let them worry about what to do with them Twisted Evil Not very ethical, but I've seen it done!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy