Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

iPod or MiniDisc? The skier's choice

What's your preference: iPod or MiniDisc or .... other?
iPod
54%
 54%  [ 20 ]
MiniDisc
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
MP3
29%
 29%  [ 11 ]
Other
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 36
Total Votes : 37

Poster: A snowHead
There's a good informative chat on natives.co.uk about the respective qualities of iPods or MiniDiscs when on the snow: here's the link, and here's one comment - from sam_c - that caught my eye (as a prehistoric vinylHead):

Quote:
"...to be honest there's nothing like using real vinyl and having a proper solid music collection. I've also had a computer crash on me before and i lost about 1000 tunes
I'm in the process of copying the 3 1/2 thousand tunes I've got at the mo on to cd but live in constant fear that my computer's gonna die on me again!"

Any snowHeads' insights into this? The first time I skied to music was on Cairngorm in 1975 with a cassette corder (approx 30cm x 15cm with piano-type keys) and big headphones, and then I was attacked by a dinosaur.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-11-04 17:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
iRiver

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=72
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I currently use minidisc, but am trying to weigh up whether to convert over to a mp3 player. The personal minidisc that I have only plays back (doesn't record), as does the one I have in the car. The stereo unit, that I only ever used for recording (not playback) has just packed in, and a replacement would be in excess of £150. However, I'm concerned that playback quality is far inferior on mp3 players.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im thinking seriously about an ipod because of the multiple file formats it can play but dont know if I can justify the cost.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
iPods are great (I currently have two - a big one and a little one - and have had four in total), but I no longer feel comfortable skiing while listening to music. I used to do it a lot, especially when I went on trips by myself, but now I can't ski and listen at the same time. I don't know whether this is because I'm skiing at a more intense level or because my failing mental facilties can't process all that information coming into my brain at the same time. Whatever the reason, I'd now be a danger to myself and others if I stuck my earphones in while trying to ski!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The swish of my skis and the air whistling past my ears will do for me!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would like to ski to music, but too many times a squeal from behind has alerted me to an out of control skier and saved my skin!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thinking of maybe buying a MP3 player - handy in the gym top drown out what they play over the speakers. But is ipod, or mini ipod, the way to go? Have they found a way of easy battery change? Is it easy to download music without a mac computer? Is there better value for money? Must admit I am pretty ignorant on all this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've a Rio Cali mp3, I use it for running, cycling, gym, ski, everywhere really. Also, I tend to buy the CD and convert it to wav file - so there's no chance of losing it and it supports the band.

If anyone here can tell the difference in quality of the medium used, whilst partaking in an active sport, then they're a better man/woman than me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with rob, snowball and Paul on this - for safety and aesthetic reasons, i prefer to go au naturel.

I have often wondered about a music player to fill in those lifts when you're by yourself - but most of the time I'm with a friend or might even speak to a stranger. It just seems rude to sit next to someone on a chairlift with headphones on - and as a boarder i am sure that it would just reinforce an inaccurate stereotype.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick Zotov, iPod mini works wonderfully in the gym. You can get a neoprene armband which holds the min iPod very securely and discreetly (can't really be seen under the sleeve of a t-shirt), and this way you don't have to worry about carrying it or getting it snagged on any gym equipment.

All iPods work equally well on Mac or Windows. It's the same software available on both platforms, downloading tracks from the iTunes Music Store is available on both and it is equally easy to transfer music from your CD collection to iPod.

marc gledhill, absolutely right about whether there is any quality differences between different audio formats on lo-fi headphones while engaging in another activity. I don't believe there are any perceptable differences, and if you're interested in hi-fi quality why compress the music in the first place?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The mountain sounds better than any music, it's also v.dangerous and in the case of the i pod, a waste of time as any sudden movements and the ear buds fall out, if you want to change tracks/playlists it's a marathon of wires and gloves and you'll probably lose it/have it stolen or break it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When you consider what an incredible act of creation a work by any of the great composers is, and the years of hard work put in by performers in the perfection of their craft, I find it amazing that anyone would want, or even try, to listen to music while engaged in an activity such as skiing, which also requires the intense and singular focus of the mind which transports us beyond the mundane dreariness of the everyday existence.

The fact that a huge industry exists which is devoted to reducing, and not increasing, the quality of the experience whose creators have sweated blood to produce is mind boggling.

Rise up fellow snowHeads, throw away your compressed digitally sampled raucous noise players with their tiny tinny earplugs and either ski or listen, but not both at the same time. It's time for the dumbing down of everything worthwhile to stop Exclamation Exclamation
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes. I dislike background music. If it's good I want to concentrate on it and actually follow what's going on, if its not or I'm in the wrong mood I don't want it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alan Craggs, in my defence I have a pretty good hifi system at home, so when I want to focus on the music I can do that as well. Being able to carry your entire CD collection in your pocket and listen to it at any time in (almost) any location has transformed the way I listen to music. I'm slowly re-discovering my cd collection after many years of listening to less and less music. The iPod is a wonderful invention!
ski holidays
I wouldn't personally use an iPod whilst skiing (i prefer the wind rush and the swish of skis through snow) but I would definitely recommend any Apple equipment (I love my Macintosh and my Macintosh loves me! - see link below).
Little sister has just bought a mini iPod and can't believe how easy it is to use - her old mp3 player/windows system was "a real pain" by comparison.
The truth about Mac users
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, I found that a strange and unexpected effect of the iPod, I'm listening to some stuff I've not heard for ages and ages.

I haven't listened to my iPod skiing yet, it's a new toy, but I'll be using it at the weekend at least if I'm alone. I had a Samsung MP3 player I used and it's great, something to listen to in the lift and on the slopes, it's something I would only use if it's reasonably quiet though. There's something to be said for skiing to something fairly rhythmic.
snow report
I'm another long-time Apple devotee and yes, I have an iPod. I mainly listen in the car -- I bought an iTrip in the States, that plugs into the iPod and broadcasts the output to a vacant FM channel (at low power, of course). I don't listen to the iPod skiing, cycling or in the gym. However, I also use it as a vanilla hard disk for backing up important work files.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 1-11-04 20:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Alan Craggs wrote:
..Rise up fellow snowHeads, throw away your compressed digitally sampled raucous noise players with their tiny tinny earplugs and either ski or listen, but not both at the same time. It's time for the dumbing down of everything worthwhile to stop Exclamation Exclamation

I'm with you about not using a "sampled raucous noise player" whilst skiing. But the gym is mind-numbingly boring. Thanks rob and marc gledhill for your advice.

Mind you, Senior Management wants a new washing machine....
snow conditions
Too dangerous while skiing, got to have your wits about you when in boarder country Wink
ski holidays
Ah, yes, I can see the point in using something like that in the gym (but I don't go to the gym - too boring. Perhaps listening to my choice of music might get me there!)

But we were talking about on the slopes (perhaps making the first tracks down a steep slope of powdery white crystals, and then threading between trees with chamoix tracks in the snow...
latest report
Another Mac fan here. Used them since the late 80s, although I did have a dalliance with the dark side in the mid-90s when Apple lost its way. Since the Jobs/Ive combination came to the fore just about everything they've done has been insanely great.

Thanks for the link Hywel, shows we Mac fans can laugh at our obsession!
snow report
My IPod is great - it has the added bonus for me of actually funding my skiing as the company I work for makes the controls for them snowHead

Having said that, I don't use it for skiing - I want to hear people careering towards me or just not have the wonderful silence disrupted by music (whatever sort), It is great for the gym, though the battery ran out today (minor gripe of IPod is the shortish battery life) ending my gym session! rolling eyes
The new Sony 'walkman' digital music player looks great too - very small, 20GB capacity and 30 hour battery life, now if only it had a touchpad....

BTW 3 ways of getter better sound from your IPod are 1) ditch the headphones that came with it 2) Record as AAC rather than MP3 (though this restricts you to IPod/ITunes you can convert them back to MP3 apparently if you need to. 3) get a US spec IPod, I have a US spec IPod mini and it does not have the volume restriction that EU spec ones (my normal IPod) do - sounds better somehow IMHO, cheaper too snowHead
snow conditions
Like many other earlier comments I think music whilst skiing is far too dangerous as it's only your sense of hearing that alerts you to anyone behind you - especially as helmet mounted rear view mirrors having not yet been invented.

I'd also get a little hacked off if my hard earned peaceful lift ride enjoying the scenery etc was ruined by the beat coming from the headphones of the person sitting next to me.
ski holidays
I think MP3 would be my choice but not while skiing for the same reasons as above.
latest report
An MP3 player with really loud sounds (chillies, Slopknot, Nirvana) is awesome when you really want to get aggressive with a slope.
It's the rhythm in the music that works for me. Hifi quality not as important when your huffing and puffing through turns and the winds blowing over your ears.
Good loud sounds are particularly good in off piste, moguls or steep piste where loads of short radius turns are required - I never use on the main pistes unless it's really quite.
A particularly great memory was "The Wall" in Avoriaz, almost 1/2 meter of fresh snow and Nirvana "smells like teen spirit" LOUD!!!! ....true Nirvana! snowHead snowHead snowHead

MP3 is best as there are no moving parts to screw up with condensation as you go from plus 25 degC to minus 10 degC and vice versa. They also cost a lot less than Ipods etc so loosing or breaking is not such an issue.

Your own music (any format) is very useful down the gym as you can workout in time to the rhythm that suits you rather than the continuous 140bpm dance crap that blurts out of the gyms sound system.

Q - Any of you techies know how to modify the speed of MP3 tracks?
The reason I ask is that I would like to slightly speed up or slow down a number of tracks, before dumping on to the MP3, so that I have constant rhythm across all my fav songs. I'm sure it'll help me run for longer on the treadmill.
ski holidays
MP3 player off eBay-£40.Cheap,tiny(even compared to a mini pod)256MB,so around 5/6hrs music.Quality;as good as anything else with earphones?Skiing with one,never tried it.But,choose the right music and it may give you extra aggression,or calm you;depending on your needs or the strength left in your legs Confused
snow report
I'd rather use a solid state memory player (I think what you here refer generically to as MP3)
Don't like the idea of a disk unit on me while skiing...I feel a crash could damage it.
Ever thought of a cell phone wioth integrated MP£ player, like the Nokia 6230?
Also, there's a thread about this over at Epic ski, somewhere...like here
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=19530
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
Like many other earlier comments I think music whilst skiing is far too dangerous as it's only your sense of hearing that alerts you to anyone behind you - especially as helmet mounted rear view mirrors having not yet been invented.

I'd also get a little hacked off if my hard earned peaceful lift ride enjoying the scenery etc was ruined by the beat coming from the headphones of the person sitting next to me.

Which is going to some way to explaining why it's getting so dangerous on the slopes. I'm aware of the position, speed and direction of travel of other slope users well before I can actually hear them, headphones or not, just like I am in the car. In fact I probably know more about their speed and direction than they do.

Another advantage of headphones on ski lifts of course is it drowns out people of the lifts talking rubbish.
snow conditions
ise, Do you have one of the aforementioned helmets then Puzzled
latest report
i have 2 mp3 players, 20GBs, at the moment:

Archos recorder: www.archos.com
Creative Nomad Jukebox 3: www.creative.com

Don't be swayed and sucked in by the apple advertising and marketing, there are lots of makes out there, personally i prefer the latest Creative Zen players, look a lot better than the ipods, functionality is simpler and cleaner and i've found the sound in the Ipods inferior to most mp3 players i've tried (admittedly the last time i listened to an ipod was 2 years ago...........things may have changed?)

a few years old but work perfectly and sound brilliant. Don't believe all this hype about compressing music making it sound pants.........it doesn't, it depends on the bit rate you compress it at, 160 kbs and above and you really will find it hard to find a difference. Only if you are playing on a really good audio player can you pick up the difference. I have heard rumours about classical music suffering but again i have not experienced this.

Note: that these are no good for running unless you are doing it on a machine and can place it down as they have a hard disk that after about 2 minutes of running it needs to restart due to the buffer running out. If you want one for running, get a solid state one (flash memory or the like), i think the new mini Ipods are 4.5Gb of flash memory.
snow report
Boardski wrote:

Q - Any of you techies know how to modify the speed of MP3 tracks?
The reason I ask is that I would like to slightly speed up or slow down a number of tracks, before dumping on to the MP3, so that I have constant rhythm across all my fav songs. I'm sure it'll help me run for longer on the treadmill.

Boardski, Google mp3 tempo morph (+ Windows/Mac) and you'll come up with a number of possibilities, some of them freeware. Can't vouch for any of them though. As a (not very good) guitarist I have the same issue with MIDI files: I need to knock out the guitar part and slow the rest down to enable me to keep up. That's bog standard functionality with MIDI software though, since a MIDI file is just an electronic score. It's a bit harder to do with sampled music like an MP3.
ski holidays
Paul Holland wrote:
ise, Do you have one of the aforementioned helmets then Puzzled

No, just eyes. Are people genuinely saying they’re not aware of what’s happening behind them unless they can hear it? Clearly you’re not looking around if you’re going through gates but where we are on pistes with recreational skiers I was rather hoping the people around were paying attention.
ski holidays
ise, you can be aware of roughly where people are but there's always going to be someone doing something unexpected. I'm not sure the safety issue is such a big deal though.

However, why would you want to listen to music when skiing/boarding?! Isn't the sensation of the snow and the beauty of the mountains enough for everyone? I don't want/need music intruding on my experience.
snow conditions
I'd love to have an MP3 player but not for skiing, more for the gym etc. I prefer the sounds of the mountain when skiing.

Can anyone give me some 'impartial' advice on MP3 players! I'd love a mini Ipod but hubby says its too expensive at the moment - probably true. The Sony version is supposed to be superior for the price and Dell are releasing one soon I think. Is there a cheaper version which offers a good memory and sound quality but is compact and looks good (which is what attracted me to ipod initially)?
ski holidays
Dan wrote:
i think the new mini Ipods are 4.5Gb of flash memory.

No, still a hard disk, just a smaller one.
IPod mini is really cool (and small!), but 4GB isn't really enough (unless you like having the hasle of keep changin the songs stored on it).
With regard to sound quality, newer compression techniques (MP4, ATRAC, AAC, etc) are far superior to the rather creaky old MP3, Minidiscs are compressed too (though not as much) so there would be sound quality loss here too (also an old compression algorithm), though with any of them (including MP3 if you use a high enough bit rate >128KBits/s) are indistiguishable from the CD to me, even playing through my expensive hi-fi.
In the coolness and useability stakes, IPods are far and away the best in my opinion, though I'd like a look at the new Sony one (except that would make me want one! snowHead )
latest report
alan empty wrote:
ise, you can be aware of roughly where people are but there's always going to be someone doing something unexpected. I'm not sure the safety issue is such a big deal though.

However, why would you want to listen to music when skiing/boarding?! Isn't the sensation of the snow and the beauty of the mountains enough for everyone? I don't want/need music intruding on my experience.

No, the safety issue isn't a big deal. If people think they can localize the sound of a moving skier as they're moving themselves without any visual input then they're deluding themselves. The false sense of security (and apparently associated self-righteousness) goes a good way to explaining why people react like they’re unaware of you until you’re six inches from them. At the range you could localize the sound, it would be far too late to judge the speed or direction of the oncoming slope user and certainly too late to actually react.

And why? Skiing, being in the mountains and music are life’s most sublime pleasures, I can’t see why they cannot be mixed. Personally I only use an MP3 player if I’m skiing alone, if you’re predominantly skiing in groups it’d be a bit rude if nothing else.
latest report
ise, I am aware of what is going on, but I don't ski looking behind me all the time. Maybe I should ski a little faster so less people pass me.....Wink

As Alan says, there's always going to be that unexpected time though when your hearing saves you. I also don't think it's a huge safety issue, I just like to hear what's around me.
snow report
hayley t, if you just want it for the gym - how much music do you want? are you bothered if you have keep changing the music stored on the player - depends whether you want to store your entire music collection or just a few ablums worth of various tracks you want to run along to.

If you only want to store a few tracks - say a few hours worth, then there is no need to spend say more than £80. Again e-bay is a good place to buy.
snow report
It's all down to personal preference if you listen to music whilst skiing or not. Remember, when radios were first installed in cars the theory was that it would lead to increased accidents, but now they are still here and getting more advanced.

Having just swapped from MD to iPod, got to say iPod is the way to go same as carrying a phone its so small.

And not enough memory? if you use it only for music, how many tunes do you need to not get bored? i would say 1000+ is easily enough - after all if you just play the entire song list through, its a few *DAYS* before you hear the same track again!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy