Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Les Angles/Font Romeu area?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Okay I've just booked my annual february ski trip, this time to Les Angles. I'm just wondering if anyone's been there before? I'm doing all this independantly (v. cheap!). I would be getting the 'Neiges Catalan' ski pass which covers 8 (I think) resorts. I won't be driving though. Does anyone know how much taxis cost over there, say from les Angles to Font Romeu, approx. 10 km?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lrx28, no idea (does that help...?) but I'm going to be just down the Tech valley in Feb and was planning on taking a day or so in les Angles to check out the skiing. Where are you staying - I'm looking for a hotel for the family? You're about right on the Neiges Catalan pass - I think it's 9 or 10 resorts (they added Puyvalador I think).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello Michael, I'm staying in a house I conventiently rented online through the resorts website www.lesangles.com I don't get the impression there are many hotels there, at least not as cheap as Cauterets for example. But they certainly exist. Have fun! Liam
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I found a couple of hotels (Bel Angle, Coq d'Or and one other) and as it's only for a night or so a house isn't an option. I'm hoping the area will be a small hidden gem. I know it won't have the vertical or extent of the Alps, but I'm willing to trade that for something more "authentic" than most French alpine resorts. Not hearing constant English voices would be nice too. Also did you see that the plans to link Porte Puymorens to Andorra were approved the other week? Mixed news, as the link won't be good for the mountain (neither will be enormous proposed development), but it will open up a load more skiing. Find out more at www.pistehors.com.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure about that Porte Puymorens - Pas link either. Not that I've ever been to either, but Porte sounds like a pleasant sort of place! When in February are you going to Les Angles? I'd be pleased to hear a report! I'm there 12th - 19th of feb.
I too am hoping for that hidden gem thing too. On paper the resort sounds small but well formed, however I do know they were the first in the French Pyrenees to install snow cannons.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm due to book the flights this week to go on the 10th for half term. When I'll be in LA (as I now like to call it...) I don't know. I think I posted a question the same as yours a while ago (may have been on the SCGB forum) and got no response at all. I think it's a bit off radar for most people. If you have one trip a year, then go to the Alps for sure, but if you fancy somewhere different or have other reasons to be in the area, then it's worth a try. Font Romeu has about a zillion cannons as well, which, on the upside, means you will get coverage, but on the downside, they must really need them. I made it as far as Mont Louis last year, having a look around, and coming up from sea level, it changed from high summer to late autumn up there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been to Font Romeu. Stayed a French PTT place on a twinning holiday. It was not a bad little resort. Certainly not overrun with English speaking skiers.

Good for a week but not very extensive.

Also did Areche, La Toussuire and Les Karelis on the same basis in PTT lodges. La Toussuire was by far the most extensive in terms of pisted runs and now features in the big tour operator brochures.

Loads of snow cannon in Font Romeu as someone else said. All our food and entertainment was in the lodge and we got a bus to the slopes so I cannot comment on the night life there, but the other towns were fairly sleepy of an evening.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Font Romeu is meant to be quite flat, as it's on a plateau, I think a good skier on goski (?) said it was pretty unchallenging, and he had to go to Puymorens or Puyvalador to get some serious skiing in. Latchigo, sleepy of an evening normally describes me, so it looks like I might fit right in.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been to Les Angles a couple of times but only once to ski. The resort actually has a fair amount of skiing and the lower 3rd is well covered with snow canons and if i remember correctly its from 1600 - 2400m. there is a huge lake (I think largest in the pyrenees) in front of the resort.

Skiing is focussed on intermediates and there are a few blacks too. Snow when I went was pretty reasonable, resort is compact but there are a couple of hotels, mainly accommodation is in triangle shaped chalets and appartments. The town has a large sports centre and a few retaurants and I think 1 nightclub.

Close by you have Formigeres (or something) which has more limited skiing and lower and then a tiny village of La Llagonne which is near an airstrip. There are 3 runs, all flattering to ski but would be excellent for a novice or early intermediates who want something very quiet. We skied there for a day on good groomed snow and for much of the day it was just us and the lift. Restaurant at the base has hire facilities too and is family owned, their food was cheap and tasty! Wink

Font Romeu is about 25 mins away and Andorra is an easy drive too. There are other resorts on the spanish border Pau-Engaly and another I forget but in the right conditions you would have fun in all of them, otherwise they have extensive cannons to help mother nature.

Have Fun, some of the runs off the back towards Lac Balcere are good IIRC.

David
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy