Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tom's Great Waffle Quest

Poster: A snowHead
Can you get from La Plagne to Val Thorens and back again by ski (and bus) in a day?

My son Tom (15 yrs) has never forgotten the yummy waffles served up at that Chalet du Thorens in Val-T.

Every year wherever we go skiing (even Whistler Shocked ) he always asks can we go to The Waffle Place (as he knows it)
Last year I thought the trek from Val d'Isere not really worth it
But next year we might be in La Plagne and I'm tempted - it might be quite an adventure - but is it possible in a day?

Starting from La Roche (bottom of the Toboggan run by Plagne 1800) you head for Champagny via Plagne Centre and Grande Rochette.

At Champagny there is a bus service across to Courchevel, but I don't know how often it runs

And then it's over to Meribel via Saulire, on to Val Thorens and finally up the Cascade Chair to Chalet du Thorens.

All for a waffle snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do they not do a delivery service? wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim, I'm sure Redrunmarcus will give you some help for a price wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you Elizabeth B and boredsurfin, but we are keen to ski as much of the way as possible (Tom is not happy about the bus), and a significant part of how yummy these waffles are is the location. Similar waffles last year in Val d'Isere just didn't taste the same.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
damn, I thought this would be about waffles invites Sad /backs away and closes door
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, this is a fabulous mission you are planning - people just don't have adventures anymore Cool .

Who would you like to play Tom and yourself in Waffle Quest the movie??

CD.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisdavis, I was just thinking it would make a great title for a childs book Laughing
In the same territory as 'James and the giant peach' as a title.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 4-11-07 22:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stab, haha me too Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I was leaning more towards It's a mad mad mad mad world, or The Great Race Laughing

CD.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mind you these waffles sound the business - I assume we will be in waffle territory next April Toofy Grin Maybe I'll save a few euros and treat myself snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, I take it that they were waffles like these, and not crepes or galettes?
They're all great aren't they? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, are you not in danger of a big let-down, when the fabulous waffles of recollection turn out to be, well, ordinary, really? Maybe the Waffle Myth is better than the Waffle Reality?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, they're going a waffly long way to find out. I thank you Razz

CD.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Waffles ummmm, there was a Waffle caravan in Les Gets town Centre many years ago.......
They even had Grand Marnier as a topping Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Just make sure you are getting the king of waffles, the Gaufre de Liège. A far superior beast to its inferior cousin, the frankly floppily disappointing, Gaufre de Bruxelles.
ski holidays
Jonpim, Note for planning: Check opening times before setting off!!
ski holidays
Did you go to the waffle place at Whistler (top of Crystal Chair on Blackcomb)? Pretty damn good waffles.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I assume we will be in waffle territory next April
In the right territory yes, but this year the waffle man had gone Sad and only rather tasteless toasted paninis were available.

And yes, Alastair Pink, we are talking real chunky yummy waffles.

For the quest, it is the bus that concerns me - anyone know how to find out the timetable?
snow conditions
ami in berlin, Excellent ones with all that fresh fruit Smile Especially on a cold day Very Happy Seating can be a bit cramped tho Shocked
latest report
Jonpim, I assume the waffles in the Crystal Lodge on Blackcomb mountain didn't live up to his expectations then?
snow conditions
Jonpim, I had waffles this year from the chalet du thorens and they were amaazing!

the paninis were revolting though.

Even though I cant help: Good luck in the journey! It will be worth it!! snowHead
snow report
Jonpim,
Quote:

For the quest, it is the bus that concerns me - anyone know how to find out the timetable

Timetables here (be aware its a 15 page download!) Toofy Grin
http://www.alpski-bus.com/pdf/aeroski-bus.pdf
not Champagny / Courchevel Sad But LP to VT Toofy Grin
latest report
Jonpim,

The waffles are great. The self service restaurant at the chalet also does great fresh pasta dishes cooked to order, and if you are a fan of european sausages their local savoyard sausage and chips is great value.

On the subject of the buses I think you will need to get 2 from Champagny to Courchevel changing at Bozel. It would be possible to get a bus to Brides les Bains and then take the 25 minute gondola to Meribel. This will put you one valley closer to Val Thorens.

Your biggest problem I should think is not getting there, it should be possible, it would be getting back. If you miss a connection, La Plagne will be an expensive taxi journey from any Les Trois Vallees resort or Champagny!
snow conditions
ami in berlin wrote:
Did you go to the waffle place at Whistler (top of Crystal Chair on Blackcomb)? Pretty damn good waffles.

The waffles there are so good even Jack Bauer stops saving the world and eats there (no joke - I saw Kiefer in there once).
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, ami in berlin, Somehow we missed out on the Whistler Waffle Place (try saying that with your mouthful Smile ). Don't tell Tom.

sideslip, thank you for your concern.
Ski-jungle.com clearly says the bus trip from Courchevel to Champagny only takes 25 minutes so i assumed it was direct.
(and assumed there was a bus going in the opposite direction . . . . )
I still would like to see a timetable (thank you boredsurfin, but please try again Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
Jonpim, best bit was chooisng a famous person's name for them to call out when your waffle is ready Laughing Laughing
snow report
Helen Beaumont, That's a great idea - was one of the options 'Spartacus' Laughing
latest report
Your son is 15?, I'd say it's time for a harsh lesson in life that you don't always get everything you want.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guvnor, killjoy. Trekking from La Plagne to Val Thorens for a waffle sounds character-building to me. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, I'm sorry, I've got the hump today for some reason....
snow report
As a Eurostar fan, I would suggest a taxi down to the station at Aime, train direct to St Pancras, National Express coach to Luton Airport, Easyjet flight to Geneva then Altibus or even a hire car should get get you to Val Thorens in about 3 hours......no? wink
snow conditions
why not stay in VT from the very get go? save all that schlepping around!
snow report
Jonpim, Using the timetable provided above Toofy Grin
From La Plagne ski over to Les Arcs enjoying the Vanoise Express on the way, get the Funicular down to Bourg St Maurice (and then bus to Val T) OR train to Moutier and then bus / taxi up to Brides le Bain and get the bubbles up to Meribel and then ski to VT Very Happy
Sorted! Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin, not bad, but I think Hywel has got it right - thank you: made me really laugh Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy