Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

rust on my edge (ooh err)

Poster: A snowHead
not a lot, but I have found one or two little spots. I cover the edges in candle wax when not in use which works well. I am sure that I read somewhere that you should not try and remove it.

Anyone confirm or deny this?

ta in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When you have your edges sharpened it should get rid of the rust. I'm no expert (compared to the likes of Mr Orf), but from what I've learned from their collective wisdom, don't worry...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can remove it with wire wool - but go gently.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A couple of spots of rust won't do any harm. It's best to hot wax the skis before storage, with a travel iron. That way they're ready to roll (or slide if you prefer) the following holiday. If you want advice on hot waxing, which is simple and fun, just ask.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks gents.

Andy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sometimes (not always) it is possible to remove small rust spots using an old fashioned ink rubber (the coarse type). I would always remove rust spots as they tend to grow, when you have removed them and as an alternative to the candle wax try a very little vegtable oil rubed on the edges, this will not damage the bases like mineral oil will but will help prevent rust just put a little on a cloth ann then wipe the edges with the cloth to leave a very thin protective layer.

Whilst on the subject always store your skis in a warm dry place, my swiss friends who store my skis alongside theirs have a rack in their boarded in loft space where they stick the skis, don't leave the skis strapped together base to base as you will deform the shape of the skis and don't leave them in a ski bag or tube as any moisture that may be trapped in say the bindings will cause your edges to rust, I speek from expensive personal experience on this one people Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
12" grinder with a diamond blade should do it
Then a coat of red-oxide and two coats of Hammerite.
That'll sort them out.

Be sure to wear goggle though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's good to learn a little ski maintenance - pays to have skis in good nick on the pistes, regularly waxed and tuned. Not as hard as it looks, although for edge sharpening you really need the clamps (eg 'Ski Man') and a pair of gloves! Depends on the type of snow, sticky, icy etc, but sharp edges and the right wax makes skiing for more enjoyable, and considerably easier on ice. You don't need much in the way of equipment. I prefer to use files (one coarse, one fine) and a file guide with a clamp, but you can get the all-in models. That and an all-purpose wax, an iron, a nylon brush and plastic scraper is plenty for the basics.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Slowplough wrote:
12" grinder with a diamond blade should do it
Then a coat of red-oxide and two coats of Hammerite.
That'll sort them out.

Be sure to wear goggle though.

If that doesn't do the job hit with an 'ammer. Twice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TYpical, you try and help and then someone decides to be sarcastic Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless you ski several weeks a year, I recommend you rent. Then you will have no rust problem, and can always have the latest model.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got a pair years ago, in a sale at the end of the season in Courmayeur. Despite the fact that the first thing I do when I arrive at a resort is drop them off for servicing (including removing the wax), they've now paid for themselves over renting (going DIY normally avoids ski carriage charges). They would have paid for themselves even earlier could I be bothered to learn how to care and maintain them myself.

I could just rent, but I've grown to like them, and the times I've nipped somewhere for a weekend and rented, I've noticed the difference. They're a bit like slippers, now, if you'll pardon the pun.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
steveb, yes, but you need to be competent enough to know whether the skis you are hiring have decently sharp edges. Before I bought my skis, I wasn't even aware that skis had edges that needed to be sharp!

I'd recommend people really think twice about buying skis, but even if it isn't financially worth having my own pair and IS a pain lugging them around, it's still nice to have my own!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's my point really, masopa.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skanky, Indeed, it appears to be. However, due to the fact that I was actually moving at close to the speed of light while I was typing, a significant amount of time elapsed back here on Earth and caused your post to appear, which I hadn't had a chance to read!

Either that, or maybe I'm just a slow typer and ready steveb's post and was compiling a reply while you posted yours?!

Razz
ski holidays
I bought a set of Blizzard SLK's (absolutely fantastic) a couple of years ago - ex-demo, cost 200quid, plus, more recently, a tube - 50quid. 3 services so far, say 50quid.
Total so far - 300quid.

My sister, who I often ski with, paid 80quid or thereabouts last week in Davos for rentals, 60quid or so at Xmas in L.A. Total - 140quid for 2 trips.

Given that I've been a few more times than 2 over the last couple fo years, I reckon I've saved a lot by buying. Ok, they're now no longer the lastest model, but they work fine, will last fine, and are still very responsive.

Edge-life can be prolonged by careful use of an edge-file - removes less metal than commercial action, thus prolonging life of skis.

Ski-nut friends in Germany reckon a well-maintained pair will last 10yrs+.
At the above figures, that means a pair become cost-efficient in their 3rd yr of your ownership, assuming 2 trips /yr. (I do more).

austin7
snow report
I think if you really want to make buying skis pay dividends, I agree with everyone that you really need to ski a couple of weeks a year, ideally. If you don't, it's more of a case of you probably getting bored of your skis rather than wearing them out (so, you'll end up changing them after four or five years or so - whereas even after 12-15 weeks of skiing, you'd probably find they still had a bit of life in them).

Best way of making them pay is to buy ex-demo skis, as austin7 said. As for servicing, spend 30-40 quid and buy the kit to do it yourself. Saves spending upto £25 a time. Don't really know whether edge sharpening will cause your skis to age prematurely - unless you're radically changing the edge angle each time. What will kill your skis is excessive base grinding. Many shops I've found recommend you to do it every service - talk about over the top!
snow conditions
masopa - the commercial edge-grinders can remove quite large depths of metal, reducing the number of times they can be re-ground. They vibrations from such can, sometimes, lead to the metal/base join becoming widened, allowing ski-fatal water penetration into the matrix.

Thus my point about gently edge-tuning with a hand-file/diamond file - just to take the burrs off.
snow conditions
Didn't know that Jon - definitely worth splashing out on getting the kit then!
ski holidays
masopa wrote:
skanky, Indeed, it appears to be. However, due to the fact that I was actually moving at close to the speed of light while I was typing, a significant amount of time elapsed back here on Earth and caused your post to appear, which I hadn't had a chance to read!

Either that, or maybe I'm just a slow typer and ready steveb's post and was compiling a reply while you posted yours?!

Razz

Sorry, I was really just saying that I agreed with you, not having a go for repeating me. I'll word it better next time Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy