Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth a little warm up before you ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Or is lugging all your gear to the lift sufficient effort? Or do 'real' skiers not bother?

If so has any one got any useful exercises/stretches they'd like to pass on and is it worth doing them where you can't be seen Embarassed ?

N.B. This is unashamedly picking up from the line of thought in Cathy's thread.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum,

Any physical activty is worth a warm-up.. a few stretches might protect those cold muscles...

Concentrate on the legs just after getting off the lifts....hamstrings and quads for starters along with a binding check if req'd
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, hmmm - I never bother, but I realise that really I should, so bear that in mind when I say...

A warm-up should do a few things - raise the heart rate, warm the muscles, take your joints through a full range of movement, and stretch the muscles. The aim is to prepare the body for what you're about to do, and to do this is a controlled manner. So, getting out of breath as you walk up the steps towards the first ski lift does part of this, but doesn't address the other three elements as I've described it.

Take a look here for a skiing warm-up http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/online-tips/Ski-Academy_DVD-clips_Warm-Up-and-Stretch-Routine.htm, sorry if it isn't any good - I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to load! But, I did see his routine on a DVD I bought and that looked OK.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, my instructors always insist on a warm up run - not so fast or aggressive etc as a full on run... they suggest stretching after skiing - but within 20mins or so of stopping.... also they suggest swimming afterwards - but not the hot tub... If I choose not to swim they will accept a walk...

Warm up run consists of a few basic moves to warm up joints etc... also they like me to swing my arms around etc etc I usually would ski warm up with boots unbuckled and do stuff like hops(bouncing) and ankle rolls... a few other things.... just general functional movements...

Surf coaches use similar - slow run, paddling in air, practice jump ups, arm swings, etc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, yes. And a bit of stretching too - once warm.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I did group lessons as a child we had warm up sessions for 10, 15 minutes. I never warm up now and never got a cramp but I tend to do "warm-up runs" to get me in the flow of skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, no stretching of cold muscles. Take a slow speed, low intensity run and gradually ramp it up. Stretch once warm.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, one problem is that sitting on the chair lift allows the muscles to go cold.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I like to keep my legs moving if I have to stand still for a while or just come off a chairlift - shuffle the feet back and forward, bend the knees a bit, that sort of thing.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have never really bothered im normally stupidly hot from gettin gear on that by the time i get on the slopes im actually sweating, also walking in
ski boots tends to get the legs moving.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you really want to look after yourself you should warm up & stretch after breakfast in the comfort of your room, before putting all the gear on. What you're aiming for is deep muscle warmth before attempting a stretch... not the feeling of just being hot you get when walking around a bit in your ski gear or going for "the warm up run". A gradual build up to some light aerobics, mobilisation of all the joints and good stretch routine will set you up far better than that daft arm waving and toe touching you see groups doing with their instructors. Eg... going down to touch your boots might give you the feeling of a stretch taking place in the hamstrings but, actually, all they are doing is contracting like crazy to keep you from falling over! Hamstrings are much better tackled on the bedroom floor when they are unweighted and can be relaxed to stretch. In short, most so called stretches offered on the piste pre skiing aren't helpful. A sound warm up routine doesn't take more than 5 - 10 mins (and the more you make it a habit the longer you'll take over it).

... 'course, I can't be arsed with any of it wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, Last season walking 200m uphill to the lift from the car park (rather than taking the bus) followed by a coffee while I put my boots on did the trick.

There does seem to be conflicting views on warming up depending on who you talk to. The last physio I spoke to on the subject was with veeeight,little tiger, & Timmaah, recommending doing your activity gently / slowly & building it up.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 29-10-07 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, good question. I have wondered if ski-in-ski-out increased injury and a good long trudge to the lifts with its natural warm up was preferable.
But then walking in ski boots over icey bumpy tracks probably results in a number of injuries, not to mention all those bruised heads from swinging round with skis on your shoulder and clobbering your companions.
For most of us the warm-up is walking up and down the stairs to and from your room as you discover you have left behind your lift pass, then getting your lift pass you leave behind your gloves, and then you can't remember if you locked your room . . . . a good 3 or 4 trips up and down those stairs is warm-up enough for anyone snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure I read somewhere recently that stretching didn't help, but a gradual full warm up where you slowly increase the intensity of what you are doing was beneficial.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Time for a quick poll.

Embrocation:

a) live by it, swear by it, here's my favourite

b) I was embro-curious for a time, don't noise it about

c) isn't that a silly french cyclocross thing?

d) only for the Lycra set!

e) Granny wore brocade, what's that to do with skiing?

f) We don hav dat roun hear, since we kilt the possums off
latest report
JT wrote:

Any physical activty is worth a warm-up.. a few stretches might protect [PULL] those cold muscles...

Concentrate on the legs just after getting off the lifts....hamstrings and quads for starters along with a binding check if req'd

should never stretch cold muscles!
snow conditions
kermit, agreed++++

No harm in starting exercising gradually, but no evidence that pre-exercise stretching does anything much. However post-exercise stretching as a means of preventing injuries has a fair amount of evidence behind it.
snow conditions
Nick L wrote:
kermit, agreed++++

No harm in starting exercising gradually, but no evidence that pre-exercise stretching does anything much. However post-exercise stretching as a means of preventing injuries has a fair amount of evidence behind it.

A study published in the BMJ states that:

Quote:
Stretching before or after exercising does not confer protection from muscle soreness. Stretching before exercising does not seem to confer a practically useful reduction in the risk of injury, but the generality of this finding needs testing.

It's an interesting article, seems to indicate stretching does not do much good.

snowHead
ski holidays
No opinion. Ah, well, Edmund Burke didn't think much of them either.
snow report
Sage wrote:

It's an interesting article, seems to indicate stretching does not do much good.

snowHead

Stretching may not help in the releive of DOMS, but will help with flexibility which will help reduce injuries.
latest report
kermit wrote:
Stretching may not help in the releive of DOMS, but will help with flexibility which will help reduce injuries
You may be right, but do you have any references for that statement?
snow conditions
This thread reminds me of a friend's story. He's a very keen skier but went for a trip with a group, including his wife, who were more into the 'let's relax in the mountains, with a sprinkling of skiing' mood.

In his words: 'I was ready to go by 9 am every day. At 9.30 they would start to come out of their rooms, still in pyjamas. They cooked breakfast, got dressed in skiwear at a leisurely pace, made small talk. (Apparently, he was not allowed to leave first, as he had to show them around, being the most experienced skier). By 11, or 10.30 if we were lucky, we were AT LAST at the top of a gondola / chairlift. I would click into my bindings, ready to go, but do you think they were ready? NOOoooo. They started flapping one arm, then another. Then they flapped the right leg, then the left leg. Then they started bending in all directions. I said "it's only a blue run, you can warm up skiing it slowly". No way. It took them 15 bloody minutes to go through the whole routine, looking like a yoga class teleported into the wrong place and wrong clothes. By 12.30 they wanted lunch and by 3.30 they called it a day...'

Every time I see someone stretching at the top of a run I remember his words ' flapping one arm, then the other'...and I can't stop chuckling. Laughing
snow report
Carry your and your kids skis from chalet to lesson meeting point, help them get into skis etc, run back to chalet to get the inevitable forgotten lift pass or hat, run back again to get the pole you dropped, wave goodbye to kids, go into bar for coffee and cake and hey warm up done.
snow report
The bestest coaches/teachers I've been with have always used a warmup.
ski holidays
Boris, That's about the measure of what I get up to as well!! Hence the question 'is it likely to be sufficient?'
latest report
Megamum, in ski school we have a 1.5 hour training session every morning before we start teaching lessons. An important part of that training session is getting the muscles warm, the tendons stretched and your balance on an even kilter before strapping the planks on.

I do truely believe that a warm up before skiing - including muscle warming, stretching and balance work greatly improves performance and reduces risk of injury... a warm stretched muscle is less likely to cause you problems than a cold stiff one. .. although a cold stiff shot is sometimes what you need to get you going in the morning Laughing
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
kermit wrote:
Stretching may not help in the releive of DOMS, but will help with flexibility which will help reduce injuries

You may be right, but do you have any references for that statement?

Methinks it's a bit of a generic statement.
If you're flexible, your range of motion is increased (joint movement), which will reduce the number of pulled muscles at least.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7046634.stm

specifically

However, the researchers said it might be more help for people with reduced flexibility.
And a UK expert stressed the main reason to stretch was to prevent injury, rather than soreness.
snow conditions
Nice of Mrtoastie to mention balance work, often ignored. Wakes the brain up.
And with the muscles don't forget the back/lower back, they do a lot work.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
Or is lugging all your gear to the lift sufficient effort? Or do 'real' skiers not bother?

If so has any one got any useful exercises/stretches they'd like to pass on and is it worth doing them where you can't be seen Embarassed ?

N.B. This is unashamedly picking up from the line of thought in Cathy's thread.

Its like warming up with Lager before you hit the vodka Shocked wink
snow report
usually you have to go up a lift and ski down a bit to keep on going on more lifts to ultimately get to the top and usually this little ski down is on something tame - after skiing down the first or second baby run, do some stretches, then unleash yourself on the mountain.
latest report
Warm Up = A brisk march and no stretching.

Warm Down = A steady march and some moderate stretching.

One's 'exercise curve' should look like an upturned bathtub: a steady incline in activity, followed by a peak, followed by a controled slowdown.
ski holidays
Warming up is for loos(en)ers

Drinking up is where it's at.
snow report
lol..

I warm up a couple days in advance. I have a long drive to ski so each pee break I stretch what I can. I try to work out what I can stretching when I get there. Then I spend a good hour on the bunny hill doing things like skiing on one leg, side slipping, falling down (oops.. not intended) and other things.

Then a few drinks and I'm ready to go!

(part A is optional - part B is mandatory!)
snow report
a good exercise to get the thighs toned before going and to warm up/cool down - keep repeating it until your thigh can't take no more, do it 3 reps each side.

while standing, lift your knee up in front of you, so thigh is parallel with the ground, while lifted, point the knee outwards/to the side to 2o'clock, the foot should be below the knee (45 degrees) put foot to ground, lift it up and bring knee back to the front again and put foot down, (so it is like stepping one leg in and out in an n movement - repeatedly

Another way of doing the exercise is to do it in circular movement

while standing, lift your knee up in front of you, so thigh is parallel with the ground, while lifted, point the knee outwards to the side and point your foot the same way, this time, keep heel close to the other leg you are standing on and let the foot slide up and down your leg, bringing knee across to front until in normal standing position, repeat in circles, and do the reverse to exercise the other movement. this one is like making an o movement with the knee
snow conditions
I always stretch in the shower in the mornings (necessary at my advanced age), but then ski gently to start. If I've had a very long cold journey up the mountain then I'll hop around a bit flapping various bits and pieces of my body. I know one should do a bit more, but I can't be bothered!!! A few exercises on a green run do the trick quite nicely - but then that's nearly all I do all winter anyway! Shock
ski holidays
Based on 20 years of playing rugby in miserable English weather. Always warm up and stretching helps but stretching after you finish, that really makes a massive difference.

For running, just stretching awfterwards made a massive difference.

The older you get the more it applies.

Mind you, for skiing the temptation to just go and have a beer at the end of the day. Hot tubs seem to help reduce stiffness though. So ski in/ski out accom., quick change at end of day and in to the hot tub with a cold beer. Sorted.
snow report
Nickski, in LDA last week, my legs were really aching after a lesson with easiski. A soak in a hot bath certainly helped, followed by a stroll around town.
snow report
My 2p - Why not stretch - can it actually do any harm? I am a convert to the stretching business after an injury a few years back, thus I think the injury prevention rather than muscle soreness is probably a valid point.

Ive found that these days the 'day three' syndrome of barely being able to hobble out of bed after going mental for the first couple of days is certainly less of an issue. Maybe I'm getting fitter, maybe its teh stretching (before and after), or maybe I'm just getting old and going less mental in the first couple of days! Confused
snow report
pielot, There is good evidence out there that stretching pre-exercise does no good and may in fact do harm. (Also consider, you just spent 15 mins warming up, then stand still and stretch for 10 mins...your muscles are now ... cold again!!)
Definitely warm up, definitely warm down, and definitely stretching/mobilising as you warm down. Light exercise has been shown to vastly aid recovery times (Redgrave & Pinsent 'went for a walk' to assist recovery between their 2 golds in 1 day the other year IIRC ).
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, One of the advantages of stretching in the shower is that all of you is nice and warm!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy