Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Salomon 1080's - What Size???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Am looking into buying a set of Salomon 1080's at the moment, but I am a little confused over what size to buy.

I would describe myself as a competent intermediate that can tackle all pisted runs, a little off-piste + like to have a bit of fun in the park as well.

I have skied on 1080's about 3 times now, the last time was on 161cm's - which I personally think were a little short (i'm now 6' 0" and 85kg's) so was gonna buy some 171cm's. However when looking into them I have had a few ski shops tell me that I should actually go for 181cm's - as I do more pisted runs, with a little of the other stuff.

Hence, I am now very confused and not really sure what size to go for. Has anyone got any wisdom on this matter.

Thanks in advance...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm 5'9" and weigh 11.5 stone - I wanted to try 161 but was advised to go for 171.

If you're playing in the park mostly, then 161. If you;re always off piste, 181 (or better still some pocket rockets). For an all round ski, it's a toss up between 171 and 181 for you. Personally, I don;t care about speed and like the idea of manoeuvrability so would go for the shorter length. You however are taller and (I think - my maths ain;t great) heavier, so should prbably go for 181
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stub, welcome to snowheads, I don't know about wisdom here, maybe lots of conflicting advice. Ski length, as far as I'm concerned, is almost irrelevant now, size is more to do with weight. I am surprised that a shop would advise you to go for a longer ski if most of your skiing is on piste. I'm almost the same weight as you but shorter and the biggest skis I use are Dynstar Bigs which are 184cms, they're almost exclusively used for off-piste. For twin-tips nothing longer than 167 cms and for most piste skiing anything around 174cms. I think the bottom line is whatever feels most comfortable to you. I'd wait to til you go skiing and then hire the skis you want in a few different sizes, maybe even throw in a different pair just to see what happens, say a pair of Rossignol Scratch, you might be surprised.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 29-10-04 16:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have 171 1080s and they are fine for me both on and off piste. I'm 5'8 ish and a bit heavier than nbt (not saying how much!)
1080s are not really going flat out skis anyway, they're a bit too soft, though not too bad, so if your worried about the stability at speed then 1080s may not be the right ski. I find the softness is a bonus for jumps as it means you can land on the tails and get away with it. Having said that do you really need twin-tips? I have yet to execute any fakie take-off/landings and I've had mine for a couple of years now!! snowHead
Like David says I'd wait and try a few out, I tried Rossi Scratch's (FS) and they are also a great all round messing about ski like the 1080s (Scratch BC's are considerable more off-piste oriented).In the same-ish bracket, I've also heard K2 Public Enemies are good, and are very cool! Cool
Another (non-twin-tip) alrounder to try is the Rossi B2
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really am confused now + I think the best course of action is to go and try a few out before I buy. I did have my heart set on 1080's - but I suppose i had dismissed quite a few others without trying them out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Best thing to do is demo different lengths and see for yourself. with twintips you can deduct 5-6cm from the ski's running length anyway as the tail of the ski does not come in contact with the snow. if you plan to go off piste in the future then a longer ski will give you better flotation. but if you mainly stick to piste/park then shorter might be better. i (72kg/187cm) do mainly off piste and ski a 190 twintip and love it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy