Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is ski theft a problem

Poster: A snowHead
I have noticed a few people mention ski theft is this becomming a problem on the mountain or is theft occuring from storage lockers. Does anyone know how serious a problem ski theft is.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I spent a season in Alpe d'Huez, and didn't have a problem for most of the season. Although during the French mid-term severals guests skis / boards were stolen mainly from outside restaurants at lunch time, but we did also have guests equipment stolen from the lockers in their accommodation during the mid-term.

So in ADH anyway, it only seemed to be a problem during the busiest weeks. Mixing up skis outside restaurants, and taking your equipment into your accommodation (rather than lockers) seemed to help ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had two pairs of skis stolen on the same day in Passo Tonale. It wasn't a mix up as there weren't any other skis left in the rack when we came out of the bar.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have had a pair of expensive ski poles ( the thin ones ) stolen from the ski room at Club Med in Val D'Isere in 2000 and a review of the CCTV failed to finger the culprit. Since then my ski poles are stored in my bedroom. Lesson learned!.

Common sense indicates that anything that is valuable or non-hire equipment has a very risk of been stolen.

Splitting skis at lunchtime is a good idea and I always do it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm going to invest in a couple of these
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, you haven't heard of the Kryptonite/BiC pen bike lock hullaballoo? Edit: Apologies to those of you who are sick of yet another mention of this

Nothing with a key of that shape can be assumed to be safe anymore; it's become a bit of a cult lark to make sure to open every such lock.

FLAT keys!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 29-10-04 20:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, The skiloc says they are being upgraded for 2005 may be they will charge the lock from the 1 pen barrel fits all system. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russell, Laughing how best to avoid hibernia's troubles (with the poles that is snowHead )?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, yes I had, but, it is merely a method of keeping our insurers happy, if someone wants to steal them, they will regardless of your security.
You could always take your poles inside with you .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When will the 2005 models be ready for order? I'll be doing some skiing in Eastern Europe this year where ski theft is apparently more of a problem, and I do not want my new pair of Volkl 66 stars to sprout legs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

method of keeping our insurers happy

Helen, My insurers also stipulate that you should be able to see your skis at all times or have them locked by some means.
Have you actually seen this product? How heavy/bulky is it?
Could it be carried in a jacket pocket (I dont like using a rucksack)?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hope to have some information on the skiloc next week I have asked for details of the up grade they are planning, cost etc Will post details as available
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski theft isn't a problem, you just walk up to the rack and grab a pair.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In case you didn't see the insurance thread Snowcard (never used but like their Ts & Cs) says the same - but also says : "This exclusion does not apply to skis left unattended during the daytime for the purpose of obtaining refreshments."
Which is nice - and fair.

David
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, and if u get caught, claim diplomatic immunity I suppose?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 30-10-04 16:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
well, you always choose the fastest pair so you don't get caught, but the diplomatic bag always comes in useful...
ski holidays
Linds, saw it attached to a pair os skis last season , width of a pair of skis obviously, but smaller than those velcro ski ties, so should fit in a pocket OK-anyway, I have 2 sons and a hubby to carry my stuff.
latest report
Helen, bought one of those 2 years ago and just could not be bothered with it. They are fairly weighty for such a small thing, it became too fiddly with the keys and all and I found I was always last in the bar (not necessarily a bad thing, but people started to wonder after a while). In the end, I resorted to a simple combination cable lock which I used all over the Alps last season. That said, the lock jammed in StAnton one day at the end of the season so I just walked into the nearest ski shop and asked to borrw some cable snips - which were duly provided without question. 5 seconds later, I had my skis back. Still, something is usually better than nothing.
snow report
i found the skiloc really cumbersome - really quite hard to fit it round my b2s
ski holidays
Caspar, Ive seen the combination/cable type in Ellis Brigham cheap enough, a cable jam was one of the things I thought could happen to them espeacially if they get wet.
ski holidays
That's what happened. What shocked me was the ease with which the cable can be cut (and the readiness of a shop to lend the tools to do it).
latest report
There are 2 solutions to this problem:
1. Never buy the latest, trensiest ski, but if you do, immediately cover it in stickers and scratches
2. Don't have lunch! Laughing

Seriously, whenever I get a new pair of skis I always deface them in some way. Most skis are stolen to sell - the thieves can't sell a pair that look a mess. Of course the soles will be left pristine.... Also, always write down your serial number (even for hire skis), then you can at least file a complaint with the police.
latest report
I have just got my insurance renewal, and according to the policy, I can at least leave them outside a restaurant, as long as they are "locked to secure racking when available during the day only". So does this mean , that if there is no secure racking, and they get stolen, I can claim.?
ski holidays
As a side note to insurance - make sure your skis are covered by your house insurance! I had 2 pairs stolen from my student flat in Durham (they were tucked away under the bed, behind lots of boxes, but they still got nicked when we got burgled. I was gutted - hadnt skied on either of them, and my house insurance didn't cover them.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, sounds like one to confirm with your insurers, in writing, just in case Confused
latest report
Helen Beaumont, did you get a SkiLoc? i would be interested to get some feedback on this type of lock, or any other for that matter.
ski holidays
snowman, no, they don't seem to have been released yet. Aslo, as everyone's comments were less than favourable..............
ski holidays
The ski lock looks quite heavy. I have a fairly lightweight locking system bought from a travel shop that is quite strong. I don't think it has to be foolproof. Most people don't lock up their skis so if yours have any decent lock on they won't be taken in preference. I have my name written on my skis, swap them and lock them. My fellow skiers take the micky, but I haven't had mine stolen, mind you neither have they!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In my heyday repping we did the usual mid-week nonsense with prize giving before dinner in a bar. During french school vacs we had a few weeks where a (large) number of skis went missing during the prize giving.

So after a couple of weeks of this we sat in the bar across the road and watched while the event was going on. Couple of unknown blokes turned up in a van and started loading our skis into the back. A short and forceful conversation later we delivered them to the Gendarmerie.

End of problem Twisted Evil

Having "lost" a pair of poles last year and planning on acquiring new skis this season I'm going to buy a cable lock
snow report
I'm no technical guru when it comes to skis (come to think of it, I'm no technical guru fullstop),

but,

would it be possible for the ski retailers to engrave your personal details into the ski. I mean this would be a pretty permanent solution and make reselling the skis pretty difficult. Once engraved, the ski retailer could fill the engraving with a coloured gel/putty Puzzled
snow report
I still reckon RFID is the way to go Smile
ski holidays
i also had trouble with an extending cable lock which ended up in the bin, so i have now got myself a cable and combination lock(my gym locker lock) the cabe is similar to a push bike lock....and i recon it will take up no more room in my pocket .. lifesystems do a similar thing...from most outdoor shops i would think... any lock is better than nothing and a cable that cant be cut easily will help
snow report
I use a small luggage cable lock that includes a combination padlock and a free cable that I have to coil up when not in use. I guess it isn't particularly strong and wouldn't last long if somebody was determined to break it, but it might just act as a deterant or somebody might just challange any would be thief forcing it.

If nothing else it might make the unlocked skis standing beside mine an easier target.
snow conditions
Although it varies from resort to resort the French police claim that a lot of theft reports are down to Brits making false insurance claims, organized bands of pikeys and season workers nicking gear to supplement their meagre wages:

Ski Cops Fight Pikeys and Cheating Brits
latest report
Same original source, slightly more detail:

Quote:
A crackdown both on theft and insurance frauds is to be reinforced this season, following the “spectacular” success of last year’s efforts by the police.

In the likes of Alpe d’Huez and Les Deux Alpes complaints to the police for theft of equipment halved last season (dropping to 500 compared to over 1,000 the previous year).

Captain Vincent Corbel is quoted as saying: "In our sector, 95% of complaints concern rental equipment. Most are at the end of the stay and a large proportion are made by British and Dutch citizens, countries where the insurers are less diligent in the checking claims and pay up easily. We have there decided to ask that those who claim to have been victim to these crimes first pay the full sum owed the the rental shops before lodging their complaint. We have put up signs in several languages warning of the consequences that will follow false declarations, and are backing up these measures with spot checks, searching cars and taking note of the serial numbers of skis and boards. More targeted checks will take place over the coming winter”.

In the Savoie 3,000 to 4,000 thefts of equipment are made each year, with last season seeing a 10% drop. According to Colonel Thierry Cailloz.

”Last year we cross-checked names of those who made statements alleging theft, and discovered that 621 names came up at least twice. We therefore stopped these skiers when leaving the resorts, and alerted the tour operators.”

He also pointed out that insurance fraud isn’t the biggest problem in the department. Saisonnaires steal and then sell on equipment, often in the snow train to the Tarentaise, the thieves getting off at the first stop in Moûtiers. Some rental operations make false declarations to finance the renewal of their equipment. Some thefts are to order. Some sell on their ill-gotten gains through second-hand ski sale fairs.

In the Haute Savoie, British ski tourists represent 7% of the total winter sports visitors, but lodge 24% of the complaints. As a result foreign registered vehicles are being targeted by the police.

In the southern Alps (Hautes-Alpes department) complaints are falling, with police encouraging ski rental operations to ask for hefty deposits. “Awareness” operations have also been carried out at mountain operations, Lieutenant Colonel Alain Charotte explained.

Source: France 3
ski holidays
I've never used a lock but always split skis. Unlike many insurers I notice my SCGB policy covers theft from on-piste restaurants etc. if you do this.
latest report
snowball, that's odd, I'm sure there's a thread discussing the SC's insurance policy that states the reverse to be true. Apparently a new condition from the underwriters?
latest report
snowball, I would be a bit sceptical as an insurer if I suddenly received a rash of claims from people who allegedly had their skis stolen when split, given that the policy has a clause accepting liability only when this is the case! Seems that insurers with this extra clause have all angles covered. After all, thieves wouldn't bother going around trying to match split skis when there are plenty of pairs left lying around. And anyone who claims split skis were stolen is going to get a pretty rough ride at the gendarmerie, going from the above!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 3-12-04 20:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowball, Mark Hunter, is quite correct as I understand it the latest T&C for SCGB insurance policies basically means that your skis are only covered if locked in your chalet or hotel
snow report
One of the TOs in La Rosiere had a ski room cleaned out a couple of seasons ago. It was always the suspicion that an employeee had tipped off the thieves by giving them the door code.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy