Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Satski - an interactive piste map

Poster: A snowHead
A British company is hoping to offer skiers and snowboarders a way of tracking where they are and even how fast they going on the slopes this season with the launch of a new GPS device called the Satski. The pocket-sized device comes with a large square touch screen display, with an interactive piste map that allows you to track your journey around the mountain....It will be possible to get all sorts of information on the device, like your average and maximum speeds achieved, the distance you have covered, the altitude you have climbed/descended and more. The promised battery life is 4-6 hours, and the device will also have an MP3 player. But, it isn’t shock or waterproof.

It also comes at a high price - £1,500 - which might put quite a few people off. So, the company are hoping that customers will instead spend up to 40 Euros a day hiring one.

For more details see: http://www.satski.com/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't there also another device which uses bluetooth and your mobile that's being tested out?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Am I just tight - but 40 euros a day! For something that isn't waterproof or shockproof, and where the battery will run out halfway through! What happens when you bring it back wet and shocked?

I think further development on battery life, robustness, and cost reductions urgently required!

Robin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

A British company is hoping to offer skiers and snowboarders a way of tracking where they are

......... because up to now we've all been hopelessly lost all of the time. rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IN all seriousness if it was less expensive, water/shock-proof I'd get one... I'm a statistic whore.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If its just the stats get a standard GPS or even something like the Garmin Forerunner 305. The former you'll be able to use for navigation, download tracks to your computer etc. aswell as total distance travelled, height gained?lost max speed, average speed etc The Forerunner you'l be able to download heart rate data aswell, though the navigation won't be so good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't sumitski.com do a similar thing?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you can get programs for a GPS equipped PDA which allow you to record where you go and upload to Google Earth...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I keep meaning to ask kitenski, any good ones for a GPS equipped phone worth a look other than Sportsdo?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've come across 2.

This one which I've used ( I can email you a sample GPS trace that loads into google earth if you wish)

http://www.navideo.de/

and this one which I haven't Wink (but hopefully will this year)

http://vitotechnology.com/en/products/activetrace.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the clever it must be doing, that you cannot get on a normal GPS is lock you into the pistes (at least I thinkso from the online demo).

This won't be much use if you live off piste, but must be quite clever as piste maps bear very little relationship to a real map. This explains why it is limited to certain resorts, as each one needs to be coded individually.

For normal GPS's if you want to see your route in Google Earth or on Google maps
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
is the daddy (and free!) It eats the output from pretty much any machine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

For normal GPS's if you want to see your route in Google Earth or on Google maps http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ is the daddy (and free!) It eats the output from pretty much any machine.

As well as the above, if you need something to extract your track log from your GPS to your PC, try the free EasyGPS software, then upload the route to GpsVisualizer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The function of a "ski GPS" is lost to me. Puzzled It's like looking at a GPS in the street of Manhattan. (for those who's not been there, it's mostly square blocks with numbered street names). With the signage and limited intersection, it's hard to get lost.

Skiing off-piste, or walking in the hills outside the established tracks, I can see the use of GPS. Overlaying a piste map on a GPS display can be a fun project and even a nice additional feature. But hardly something peeps will pay 40 eruo a day for!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried to see Satski at the Ski show today but didn't get a chance because there was always a crowd on the stand!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1. The device is about £1450 too expensive. It is atleast 95% overpriced.

2. The daily rental price is about €30 too expensive. It is atleast 75% overpriced.

3. The battery life is about 2 to 5 hrs too short. It is atleast 33% underpowered.

4. The device is not shock- or water-proof. This is pointless for a high-activity snowsport.

Without changes, this device will flop.
snow report
Whitegold, agreed - this is for gear freaks to pose with in the bar. For the same money you could get an ABS, a Pulse and some really good new skis. Much better pose value!
snow conditions
Sumitski is £16.50 per day in meribel or 25 Euro on the day.... 40 Euro sounds stupidly expensive

Other than a gimick to see how fast you ski, or how many miles you have clocked up it is just another fairly useless gadget.

Whitegold, I am starting to warm to your succinct style.... wink
ski holidays
never mind all that - check this out: http://www.sportsdo.net/Sports/Skiing.aspx

i know someone who has used this product - bought one in fact for 100 quid - swears it is amazing and addictive - I plan on getting one for this season - it just uses your mobile (as long as it is resonably up-to-date - i.e. bluetooth) - tells you all manner of things (speed, distance, calories etc) and even has lift-ackowledgement tech (whatever that may be - it apparently understands when you embark upon a lift) - you can even buy extra ski resort files from the site (very extensive list I may add) for a few quid each

check it out!
latest report
oh, and I forgot to add - at the end of the day you can plot your days journey onto Google Earth - also, if you listen to music or take pics with your phone it will plot on the map exactly where the pics were taken and what tunes you listened to etc - and, it doesnt stop you using your phone snowHead
snow report
I hired a tracker GPS in Meribel. Runs for whole day and they then overlay your route on to piste map + indcate max speed + where, distanc travelled. It was about 30 euros or so.
snow report
shenryo, Sportsdo is the best I've come across yet, I've been running it on my phone but it's a bit flaky to rely on at the moment. I know there's a couple of snowHead using it too, as I've seen their plots on the Sportsdo website.
The 2 links kitenski pointed me towards look good as well but there's nothing like a good honest report from someone who's used it in the wild to see how it really runs.
snow conditions
There is a new alternative which was launched at the Ski Show recdntly called Ski Log

http://www.skinetuk.com/skilog/skilog.htm

and at only £99.00 appears to be a bargain !
ski holidays
You know I dont understand it- how can a company state a GPS unit (satski) costs £1000+ and now they are selling them for £200!

Take a look at their webpage:

http://www.satski.com/Shop/GPS_GPRS.aspx
ski holidays
By the way you get a spare battery for this device so it seems an amazing offer! £200 for free unlimited maps. I am going to Val Thorens in December and Jackson Hole in February. Apprently Jackson hole will be available as of the 1st December
snow conditions
I'd have thought making it waterproof would be a good plan. There are a number of GPS-fiddlers on snowHeads:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1024891
ski holidays
Just got an email back from the Satski Director- I am impressed!

You can download as many resorts as you want with the Satski GPS + unlimited at £200. You choose a map so when you receive the unit it has a resort you want installed. There after you will have your password and you can go online at any time and download maps to you pc/lap top and them Sync them with the GPS unit. You then load the unit with which ever Map you need.

The maps are updated every year as Pistes and ski trails change as do resorts , they add new runs , lifts and the resorts grow and as a result the need to update. Once you have a unit with unlimited the next year you would only pay 30,00 Euro for all the maps for the new year.( year is season 2008/9 is a year)

I think its worth getting one quick!

I don't like using my mobile phone as a device because with roaming data charges some of the software needs to open a GPRS channel.

SportsDo Ultimate Bundle is £110.00 and you need a mobile phone. This seems pretty easonable to m- but then I LOVE gadgets!
latest report
FenlandSkier, I've got Sportsdo and whilst it's quite good, I'd agree it's also quite flaky. I've got a separate GPS unit and when the connection between it and the phone drops, Sportsdo seems to just give up. It might well be more reliable with a phone with GPS built in. Some people on the sportsdo forum seem to think it can do no wrong so I guess they're having more luck with it than me. I'll persevere though as it'd be nice to record my tracks for the Paradiski challenge.

Oh, the good thing about it is you don't have to have a data connection to record your tracks, just if you want to update them live (yeah, I'll just let the world know exactly where I am at this moment) or to track your "buddies" (friends with sportsdo). Down side is you have to buy any skiing maps separately.

I've just noticed that they're doing a bundle at the moment which includes a standalone GPS tracker with built in bluetooth connectivity to your phone which I'd go for if I was buying now. It tracks you even if it's not connected to the phone so if you just want to record you're tracks you'd stick that in your backpack and forget about it but if you want realtime maps, tracking etc. then you'd get your phone out and connect.
ski holidays
Satski is the best on the market and the mobile download software is cheap costs 0.50 p per day to run in france ( download package) So no fear ot extra costs
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Word of warning with Satski- I have been charged for the device yet it has not shipped. This was nearly a month ago now. I appriciate that they may be backed up with orders but I don't expect to be charged so far in advance of receiving any goods. fingers crossed it comes tomorrow. I was assured I would get it by their MD by the 3rd Dec.
snow conditions
You know what? I take my hat off to this company. I had a call from their MD, they are rushing me out a unit prior to my holiday tomorrow! What amazing customer service! I shall let you know how I get on! As you can imagine there must be an incredible number of people looking forward to these little gizmos and the demand must have been incredible.
snow report
tbanting, when I looked at their website I thought it was £200 complete with one map, and you had to pay for any others you wanted. Are you sure they're all free?

The startling changes in prices are not too reassuring here - it sounds quite an interesting idea for those of us who need specs to read a piste map. Embarassed Will it talk to you like a satnav in a car?

User reports, please.
snow conditions
If you choose unlimited option that is the one that will allow you to get which ever maps you like. I think that would be for this season. Next years maps would be an additional 30 euros I think. I am not sure how many resorts would actually need an update. If I get the chance I will see if I can do a quick video for you tube- "out of the box". I can provide a better one after I hit the slopes. It doesn't talk to you as far as I know. I will be using it to plot my way around the slopes and as I have intermediate buddies I. An select to avoid black runs when I am with them.
snow report
tbanting, yes, interesting to hear how you get on. When it's cold and windy I don't know that I could be bothered getting a little thing I have to squint at out of my pocket - especially if I also had to dig out the reading glasses. wink
ski holidays
Snow-forecast have come up with an offer for a Garmin GPS loaded with piste maps of the whole alps, for £269.99 (including 6 months membership of snow-forecast wink ).

I'd be interested in any thoughts people have about that - it sounds rather unlikely that they've actually got maps of everywhere? How do they work? The piste maps used must look very different from the ones we're used to (which are often a bit like the tube maps - not very topographical).
latest report
I am interested in a satski map for Austria. Has anybody one?

Sad
snow conditions
on the gadget show tonight, channel 5 at 8pm

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1110890#1110890
snow report
Or you can install the free iPhone/iTouch application which does the exact same thing. Confused
ski holidays
Ben3210 wrote:
Or you can install the free iPhone/iTouch application which does the exact same thing. Confused

only if you have an Iphone tho
ski holidays
I would avoid Satski- I have had problems with mine and think mine is faulty- the company will not consider a refund but are willing to offer a replacement.

I now have to go via trading standards £206 is a costly lesson.

I have, potentially, a faulty unit (unless it really is that bad that it thinks my aveage speed skiing is 68 kph when stood by a lift and jumps about 500m when viewing my days skiing across pistes) and a long long dispute on my hands.

Evil or Very Mad
snow report
tbanting, you dont like satski then Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy