Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

East coast skiing - advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys and gals.

Havent posted on here in a few months. lurk yes, post no Shocked

For various reasons, my skiing holiday this year will probably have to be in east USA. having been there before in the summer I know that there are dozens of 'resorts' - mostly small to tiny.

I have looked at 3 of the larger ones so far, sunday river, killington and looney tune mountain. Wondered if any of you have been there and if you were to be stuck in 1 for a week, what's the best.

Problem I have this year is that there are only 4 of us going ranging from a total novice to me who is a fantastic skier who only falls because his equipment has failed him...hmmmm

If there is a similar discussion on the site somewhere else, sorry in advance.

andy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andy b, Hi
I had 10 days at Killington a couple of years ago and providing that you get some ok weather it would probably fit the bill for you.
There are some good beginner areas with some fairly easy stuff to progress to plus some more interesting stuff for experts like you (although it sounds like you might want to miss some of the bumpier blacks).
There is a pretty good apre / night life scene and the only real drawback I found is the lack of a resort centre which makes a car rather a neccessity.
It can also get VERY cold.
During the week it was pretty quiet but at weekends it got busy with people up from Boston and New York (you can get some good bands on at the weekend).
Its actualy pretty good for a week unless you are a real piste hound.
Stephen.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You probably need a car to get the best out of anyplace but a car opens lots of opportunities for you. I'd say loon is quite a bit smaller than either Killington or Sunday River. Killington probably has the most terrain and the best party scene, if you're into that. Either Killington or Sunday River will be among the best choices for ski-in/ski-out accomodations, and would be among the best if you're confining yourself to one resort. With a car you could stay in someplace like Lincoln NH and be within easy driving distance of Loon, Cannon (more challenging terrain), Waterville Valley (nice for intermediates), Bretton Woods (excellent for novices and cruising intermediates with little to challenge advanced skiers), and not too far from Wilcat, Black, Cranmore, and I'm probably missing some. You can compensate for the relatively small size of individual ski areas by visiting several. I'd also take a look at Stow, which has become our favorite NE area. Terrain from very easy learning areas to true expert -- and quite a lot of back country if the snow is good and you can find it. Stowe Village is quintessential VT with lots of very good restaurants and shops. Stowe is not good for ski-in/ski out, you really need a car. The village is about 6 miles from the ski area. Less of a hard party atmosphere than Killington but IMO, more romantic with better dining. You could also stay in someplace like Warren or Waterbury (Vermont) and be within easy driving distance of Stowe, Mad River Glen, Sugarbush, Bolton Valley, and only about an hour or so from Killington.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Killington and Sunday River certainly work for a mixed group. Here are reviews of both places in the early season:

Killington:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=286&mode=headlines

SR:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=391&mode=headlines

There's also a ton of information about both place in the forums of www.dcski.com, and www.epicski.com.

I prefer Stowe, however, to both of these mountains because the terrain is just so much more interesting. Unlike SR and Killington, Stowe offers a lot of big vert. trails that are only occasionally interrupted by traverses. Also, no expert trail at SR or Killington compares to Goat or the Mansfield off-piste. Bottom line: Stowe skis much, much bigger than SR or Killington. And neither Killington or Bethel match Stowe for restaurants, nightlife, charm. You need a car at Stowe, but you also need one almost anywhere on the East Coast.

Loon and Waterville, btw, are Boston commuter mountains. Both are nice intermediate hills but not destination places like SR, Stowe, or Killington.

One last idea: rent a car and ski a different mountain in VT every day:

Stratton
Killington
Mount Snow
Sugarbush
Mad River Glen
Okemo

You would not get any ski and stay package deals but you would have an interesting ski safari like experience.

PS My wife is a European and the only mountain she'll go back to in New England is Stowe. She's also an intermediate skier. Go figure. I'm an advanced skier but not an expert, which to me is someone who is comfortable skiing off-piste (especially trees and other extreme terrain).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy b, I agree with johnfmh. Go with Stowe, and try Sugarbush. Both much nicer places than Killington, in my view.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not normally one to plug other forums (well I wouldn't be would I) but http://www.alpinezone.com/ is a pretty good resource for information on skiing in North East USA.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to add my 2p worth. Sunday River is nice, but as you can already ski ok, it wont last you a week. The East coast is lovely, but it will be COLD. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy