Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunglasses (prescription)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I need some new prescription sunglasses as I've just had to get a new set of ordinary glasses from vision express. I want some wrap arounds. Vision Express can do Oaklies but with prescription lenses they would cost 320 squids for the ones I like. Anyone got any suggestions for alternatives. I'm in Aberdeen if anyone has any sugestions for opticians to try.

Cheers
Dave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Horsley, I just use ordinary prescription sunnies rather than fancy ones and goggles over my glasses when I need more protection...it works for me! There are a few places on the internet where you can send them your prescription details and they're a bit cheaper than opticians.

The alternative I'm looking at is Adidas Robin Goggles which you can buy a clip in insert for prescription glazing....when my current goggles fall apart that's what I'm going to invest in (might have to try falling on my goggles a few times this season so I have to have new ones!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Horsley, thanks for that, I suspected the Cebe's I just bought here were dirt cheap and you seem to confirm it. The Swiss Visilab knocked up some Cebe frames with my prescription lenses in them for 150 chf. The lenses were charged at 80 cf and the frames for 70chf. They'll do any frame but what's the point ? Half the money you're paying for Oakleys is going on a lense that's going in the bin.

I also wear OTG goggles with ordinary glasses and have some Bolles with optical inserts. The insert is an expensive way to go though.

So, come to Switzerland, go to Visilab and go skiing, then go back and pick them up...the saving pays for your flight.. you know it makes sense Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wear a bolle Vigilante with the prescription insert. A smaller version of the same frame is the Parole. It is fine with the dark snap in lens. However I suspect it is a bit nerdy looking with the vermillon or clear lens as you can see the strange looking perscription lens thing in behind. On the other hand they don't fog, good eye coverage keeps the wind out and they are about $can 150 cheaper that Oakley (with prescription)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave Horsley,

Do you know anyone who's going to the US and can bring back the Oakleys for you?

You pay $ for £'s there & the exchange rate is strongly in your favour.

Don't have them shipped from the US though as the shipping, duty & VAT wipes out the savings.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi BABS, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead . Are you an international skier as well as poster Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Horsley, Thankyou thankyou thankyou for reminding me that I've been meaning to ask this question for ages. And thankyou thankyou thankyou BABS & ise for reminding us that Oakley ain't all there is!

Being myopic & having wanted proper wraparound prescription sunnies for years, I'm now keen on Bab's Bolles.

Quick search indicates it is definately cheaper to get the hardwear online. e.g. www.sightdirect.co.uk does frames & clipins for Bolle and other brands.
Cool
But I'm still a bit unsure about how it works - am I right in assuming that you takes your frames to yer optometrist (Specsavers or whoever) who then cranks out and fits the prescription inserts?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda, you'd have to be a total mug to have prescription fitted into something like Oakleys, you'd be paying a fortune for their flash lenses and then chucking them away.

You're right about how it works, the local lab here reversed engineered my prescription from the glasses I had on in fact. Not the way I'd go if I wanted to drive in the glasses but just fine for skiing.

As for optical inserts, I've had some Bolles for years like that, I paid way more for them than the new Cebes. The Bolles have an advantage because they have interchangeable lenses so I've normal and lowlight lenses for them but the Cebes are so cheap I'll just buy a second pair.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alan.
Unfortunately, I am not an international skier. I found this site through a reference at Epicski.
Another thought about the eyewear. My brother-in-law bought contacts. They were disposible and cheap enough that he intended to use them only when he went boarding. If you do this then, of course, the range of possible sunglass opens right up. I do not know what type of contact this would be but you may wish to look into it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've considered contacts while skiing, but haven't yet found a brand comfy enough to wear on a normal office day, let alone in high cold dry alitude. And I assume you need goggles rather than sunglasses otherwise the contacts dry out/fall out.
Been a few years since I investigated the skiing with contacts thing, so maybe the technology's improved since then.
Am contemplating Accuvue's latest & greatest ones for normal wear, but if anyone has any tips for skiing with contacts/brands please do lemme know.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, I wear Acuvue daily disposable contacts to ski and have never had any problems with them. They can dry out a little occasionally, but if you take some refresh eye-drops then it shouldn't be a problem. It's always a good idea to keep a couple of spare pairs in your jacket pocket just in case though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Manda, if you've got astigmatism you might have trouble getting disposables to work....believe me I've tried!! But if you can, then contacts are the only way to go....I just wish I could still wear mine. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use 30 day contacts. I'm only supposed to wear them 8 hours at a time but I seem to get away with a lot more. I've had no problems skiing with them while wearing sunglasses, and also no problem cycling (speeds probably up to 35mph) with them with no glasses at all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp, yep, myopic and astigmatic with it which is why contacts previously were more irritating than they were worth. Am hoping Acuve will do the job - if they do I'll try them up the mountain....along with my new prescription Bolles, and probably prescription googles too at this rate!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Contacts don't work for me either, Mrs Ise uses disposables and gets on just fine with them, for me it's just not on. In goggles my eyes get dry and in glasses my eyes tear up. I'm fairly sure contacts are the best if you can wear them.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice. In the end I purchased a pair of Oakley's with prescription lenses. They cost me £230 which isn't too bad. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) they couldn't glaze the frames I really liked as I'm just too blind, and that saved me about 100 squids Cool .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy