Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach and Zell am See connection

Poster: A snowHead
That was my assumption too, I would guess that Zell/Kaprun would contribute greater share of costs as they have more to gain from the link. I am intrigued to know how revenue from ski pass sales would be distributed among the various lift companies. I assume with electronic passes it is possible to track which lifts you use and distribute the income proportionately.

I hope we get some decent snow this year and you can get your peaceful turns in on 68 before us rabble from Zell descend on you!

Although I am not sure how busy the link will become though as thinking about it, from my place near Ebenbergbahn I would have to take 4 lifts (Ebenbergbahn, Cityxpress, Trassxpress and "New Lift From Viehhofen") and ski 4 pistes (Rehnstrecke, Standardabfahrt, Sonnengrat and "New Piste to Viehhofen") to get into the outer edge of S-H area. Yes it would be some nice skiing esp Standardabfahrt early in the morning (one of my favorites) and I believe the new piste to Viehhofen should be great but if I want spend a day in S-H i would probably still drive round (20 min) or get bus and spend all day in S-H. I do see the benefit of the link for marketing purposes but unless I want to see how far from home I want to get and back in a day I am not sure how much I would use this link.

Now I have been thinking about this I am starting plan a day route to see how far I could get into S-H area and still make it back to home subject to links being in place.

Roll on November I have had enough of summer and playing bad golf and would like to do some bad skiing and boarding
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mbeaney, From our place on the Saalbach side there would be several ways of accessing the Zell skiing: (1) up the Kohlmais, Magic 6er, Schoenleitenbahn (or Schoenleiten 6er chair), Polten lift, then ski down 68 to Viehhofen; (2) up the Kohlmais and Magic 6er, then ski down 61 to Jausern and get the 10 min ski bus to Viehhofen; (3) up Schattberg and ski down 2a/2b and then get the 10 min ski bus to Viehhofen; (4) take the ski bus (say 20 mins) from Saalbach down to Viehhofen. It always surprises me how far you can get with an early start, so (1) would no doubt be the preferred option, subject to snow conditions on 68.

Having arrived only a few days ago, I think we have some way to go before we get enough of the current fantastic summer weather in Saalbach. As mentioned previously we will be driving up to the Hecherhuette at Viehhofen for their Thursday evening barbecue (highly recommended!). As they are the only mountain restaurant on piste 68 and presumably regard the new link as the equivalent of winning the lottery, I would imagine that they will have plenty to tell us about the new link.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One use for the reservoir at Polten is to support more snowmaking on the Schönleiten piste (alpinforum.com reported) but maybe it is intended for piste 68 to Viehhofen as well. I look forward to hearing what the Hecherhütte people have to say.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I too look forward to hearing what Hecherhutte people say, I have never been there but I can imagine a summer evening up there with good food must be idyllic. I will pencil in a trip in for next summer. Do you have to book?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mbeaney, Yes - see http://www.hecherhuette.at/ Last summer it started at 6pm every Thursday (arrive earlier if you want a swim in their excellent pool). All you can eat for 15 euros - a sumptuous banquet, including their renowned fillet steak. Madeye-Smiley , and the August equivalent of an "apres-ski" knees-up afterwards.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@mbeaney, Yes - see http://www.hecherhuette.at/ Last summer it started at 6pm every Thursday (arrive earlier if you want a swim in their excellent pool). All you can eat for 15 euros - a sumptuous banquet, including their renowned fillet steak. Madeye-Smiley , and the August equivalent of an "apres-ski" knees-up afterwards.

Sounds absolutely WONDERFUL! The pictures of it in the summer look absolutely beautiful, I had no idea there was a pool. I would join you there if I could!

My memories of it were a lovely hot chocolate stop after a perfect run down a deserted piste 68 in ideal snow conditions in the sunshine. The view was stunning, and is just as spectacular it seems, even when the pistes are all green.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@HoneyBunny, ...and you may recall that it serves the best steaks and gulasch soup in the area!

http://www.hecherhuette.at/images/galerie/Sommerurlaub/buffet-terasse.jpg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I do indeed! I think I took this photo from it:

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@HoneyBunny, Smile Smile Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.facebook.com/herzogbau/photos/pcb.479765875516813/479765812183486/?type=1&theater
Fairly certain that this page contains a photo of foundation work for the summit station for the new Viehhofen link that will be installed next summer. There are 5 photos in this group so scroll through if needed. All work being undertaken by Herzog Bau on the Smitten. Busy boys!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

This is the new summit station for the Viehhofen to Zell am See link. Photo posted on Herzog Bau Facebook on 1st Sept . I was up there last week and progress is fast much more superstructure is now in place. I'll try to post my own photos but not sure how to on here.

https://www.facebook.com/herzogbau/photos/pcb.483194858507248/483194821840585/?type=1&theater
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New piste map for Zell on the Schmitten website, I see that Saalbach/Hinterglemm as well as Viehhofen sneeking in on the right hand side now, also a lot or re-numbering of runs gone on.

http://www.schmitten.at/en/winter/ski-area/ski-map-bus
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From over the valley at the Hecherhuette (on Saalbach piste 68 ) above Viehhofen, we could recently see other similar construction works at a slightly lower height than us, fairly low down on the Schmittenhoehe. I assume this to be an intermediate lift station.

Incidentally I'm overjoyed to see that new snow cannons have appeared at the bottom of piste 61 from the Wildenkarkogel to Jausern - a superb run that has hitherto frequently been closed due to poor snow coverage. Yet another link in the Snow Circus strengthened - which makes sense, as it will presumably soon be possible to get the ski bus from Jausern to the new lift up the Schmittenhoehe.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latest update (Oct 2015) from ‘Hoch hinaus’ – the annual pre-season brochure from the Saalbach-Hinterglemm Lift Company:

In den kommenden fünf Jahren stehen vier Großprojekte an. Der Neubau der Schönleitenbahn, der Kohlmaisbahn und der Zwölferkogelbahn sowie die Verbindungsbahn von Viehhofen ins Schönleitengebiet sollen bis 2020 realisiert werden.

So, in the next 5 years, four major projects are planned that should be completed by 2020. A new lift replacing the old stand-up cabin-lift at the Schönleitenbahn, replacement of the ‘beer-can’ cable cars at the Kohlmaisbahn in Saalbach, and replacement of the Zwölferkogelbahn in Hinterglemm. This is presumably preparation for what is hoped will be a winning bid to host the 2023 World Championships.

The fourth project is establishing a new lift from Viehhofen to the Schönleiten ski area. If Zell am See build the lift and pistes on their side of the valley between Zell and Viehhofen, this will complete the link between Zell and the Ski Circus.
snow report
quinton wrote:
replacement of the ‘beer-can’ cable cars at the Kohlmaisbahn in Saalbach

Oooo that's good, I really hate that lift. I find it very claustrophobic.
latest report
Quote:

I really hate that lift. I find it very claustrophobic

@HoneyBunny, ....and there was me, thinking that the moans and groans were of pleasure (being squashed up with me in that lift Little Angel ). Actually, I suspect that many people will be delighted to see the upgrading of the Schonleitenbahn - hopefully no more standing up on any of the lifts.
I see from Hoch Hinaus that EUR 390 million has been spent in the last 15 years, of which 47 million has been spent for this coming season, so I expect that that the resort must be in the running for another award. (Some of you may recall that it won the 'Best European Ski Development" award in 2009 from 'Where to Ski and Snowboard).
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

I really hate that lift. I find it very claustrophobic

@HoneyBunny, ....and there was me, thinking that the moans and groans were of pleasure (being squashed up with me in that lift Little Angel ). Actually, I suspect that many people will be delighted to see the upgrading of the Schonleitenbahn - hopefully no more standing up on any of the lifts.
I see from Hoch Hinaus that EUR 390 million has been spent in the last 15 years, of which 47 million has been spent for this coming season, so I expect that that the resort must be in the running for another award. (Some of you may recall that it won the 'Best European Ski Development" award in 2009 from 'Where to Ski and Snowboard).

I have no problem being squished in with you Mr T, it's everyone else!

That lift is just a bit too small and cosy.
ski holidays
I for one will be extremely glad to see the back of the stand up cabins on the Schonleitenbahn. We call it the lift of pain.
latest report
Every time I'm squashed into the corner of a cabin on the Schonleiten, I remember what it as like when you used to ski down to Jausern from the Schattberg, go under the road, pole up the slope and discover a 40 min queue for the old 2-man. No doubt just glimpsing the ski-bus disappearing up the valley. I still remember one February half term when hundreds of French school children, all with the innate ability to queue that all French skiers possess, ensured that the time spent waiting was extra special...
No, I agree, a seat will be better, but what's there ain't that bad...
snow report
@Colinthc, Your post is a reminder of how spoilt we're getting these days with all these comfy, seated gondolas with wi-fi, and multi-heated-seated chair lifts with bubbles. In retrospect it's amazing what we were prepared to accept as normality all those years ago. Just waiting for someone from up north to chime in with, "You were lucky to 'ave a 2-man chair....."
snow report
Actually, as a northerner, a Scot to be precise, who had started out at Cairngorm and Glenshee, the Glemmtal in the mid-80's seemed like wonderland. So, yeah, "2-man chairlifts, and you can keep your skis on!... How amazing is that!".
I do love the lift system in the area today, but there is a part of me that misses the silence of the old chairlifts, save for the chug-a-chug-a-chug as you crossed a pylon, and I genuinely grew to love, well, like, T-bars. Don't miss the queues though...
latest report
Quote:

I genuinely grew to love, well, like, T-bars

Shocked Puzzled Puzzled Shocked
latest report
Seriously, any form of transportation over snow where you could have battles with your brother to try to push each other off at the steepest, most awkward point, furthest from the piste, had to have its merits. And if you learned how to survive these battles, you became an expert at riding T-bars in all situations and with all people, and they became kind of fun. I will be heading to the Seekar in January anyway...
ski holidays
Quote:

I will be heading to the Seekar

That's a point! In the Lift Company's Hoch Hinaus magazine, DI Walter Steiner, the operations director, comments: "Worauf wir besonders stolz sind: Mit der Errichtung der Bernkogel-6er-Sesselbahn wurde der letzte Schlepplift im Skicircus - ausgenommen Einzellifte fur Anfanger - durch eine hochwertige Bahn ersatz.", which, roughly translated, means that they are particularly proud that the installation of the Bernkogel 6-seater chairlift means that the last drag lift in the Ski Circus - except isolated lifts for beginners - has been replaced by a high-quality lift. Has he forgotten about the Seekar Lift? Since there is only a red run from the top, it's hardly a lift for beginners.

More generally, I well recall my first experience of drag lifts on my first ski holiday in Cervinia in 1981 - there were a couple of long ones from the bottom - pomas I think, rather then T-bars - and I remember being most impressed that people were reading books as they went up. (Fighting on T-bars is all very well, unless you happen to be following the combatants up a steep bit, in which case carnage invariably results!)
snow report
If the T-bar puts a lot of people off Seekar, I for one will be delighted to continue to experience its magnificence in relative quiet wink
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, On the other hand, it will be practically the only place to go for all the T-bar aficianados, like @Colinthc, so it may be full of people fighting to push each other off and all kinds of fun wink Smile (The Spieleck lift doesn't really cut the mustard.)
ski holidays
@mbeaney Interesting, thanks for sharing - I'd been looking at the interactive panorama (linked from the same page) to see if there had been any changes - but that doesn't seem to have been updated. Other areas on the site still use the 'old' numbers too (e.g. the nightslope being 17 on the nightslope page, but 6 on the 'new' map). Methinks their webmaster has some works to do..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey have you seen the new Zell am See piste map? Seem to be quite a few changes this year! http://www.schmitten.at/content-images/panoramen/zellamsee_schmitten_pawi_15-16_aktuell.jpg
snow conditions
@frankEvb, Apart from the better marking of the ski route (X4) I don't see many changes to be honest - it just looks a wee bit tidier and consequently clearer than it used to! I think they have added the ski routes perhaps, but they were always there. No new lifts yet although the Arietbahn is struggling at times and is surely inline for an update in order to avoid all the negative publicity it drew when it broke down over the New Year (a couple of seasons back) and Fasching (last season I believe)!
ski holidays
It is much clearer and looks a lot better. Seems they have shifted focus from Kaprun over towards the renewed (X4) route towards Viehhofen. The changes are on the Sonnenalm - lots of re-numbering of the pistes especially area near the Kettingbhan lift. Also the main run off the Sonnenalm is now a red (20) instead of a black (old 15)... Hope this means they've widened it and improved snow making there. Call me green and kill me now but I never did like the bald bits!
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, @frankEvb, The new aspect is definitely much better but they have been doing a fair bit of recolouring, I predict some unhappy punters who don't know the resort next winter. As well as the Südabfahrt going red the Schütt and part of the Nord is also now showing as red and even blue which will catch a lot of the braver blue run skiers out badly, especially the former two if its a poor snow season.
snow report
Totally agree. Why so many changes to the map? Do you think this will corespond to actual changes on the piste (can't see how!?) or is this just an attempt to make these area's seem more "do-able" to new-comers? I learnt to ski in Zell (and return most years) and personally found that top section towards the Sonnenalm, and old red 20, initially at least, far more of a challenge than the Reds over on the other side... I am maybe more curious than most about this; we are off to Zell in January Very Happy. Will be my first time skiing since a nasty shoulder injury. One of the ways I have managed to convince myself that this is, in fact, completely fine and not at all too soon... Is that "well at least I know the mountain really well..." !? rolling eyes
latest report
@frankEvb,Likewise, skied there for at least a week, sometimes 3 weeks every season since 2005/06. Yes, I think 'brochure' appeal is what it's been done for. Anyone who's been there knows its ok for beginners and early or less confident intermediates but that theres plenty better resorts for that group. The piste map (when it told the truth) showed that there is genuinely no resort runs for that group and suddenly now it shows three?
The Süd as you say needs more snowmaking but no amount of man made snow is going to change the fact that its directly south facing and half below the reliable snowline. The Nord does ok for snow until the very bottom as it faces almost north but those schüsses are narrow and icy as are the 'blue' cut-arounds. The Schütt is a horror at the bottom, steep, very red and either icy or slushy and usually carnage!

Not going to Zell this season, had a week in Obergürgl in January and loved it so going back there. A very mild week in Zell in March has put me off although will still go back in summer.
snow report
@robboj I can't see how they can suggest that what was always a dodgy black (15) can now be classed as red without any work at all, especially given its topography!? Unless they just keep it closed when it's bald... I was there mid January last year and even then there were large bald bits from the tree line despite a big dump of snow...
I can well recall my frustration at being advised not to ski down to resort (from anywhere) my first few trips. I was stopped by my partner and his sister (who knew better both having instructed there many moons ago). Given the new map - I feel for those who might not have such useful ski buddies! Esp now Crystal are no longer providing ski hosts/resort guides... To suggest there are three easier routes down, is as you say, a stretch! I am by no means an expert skier (despite the best efforts of my family) and since my crash my confidence is approaching shot; I worry I may have regressed from confident intermediate to progressive chump! There is potential that I may go back to a catching a lift down - at least until I get my Mojo back wink.
Have only been to Zell once in the summer and found it somewhat of a cultural eye opener to say the least!
Enjoy Obergurgl at least you'll definately have snow Very Happy
latest report
http://www.bergfex.at/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/panorama/ - New piste map? New blue diversion to Leogang from polten? New blue down to bottom of Polten from blue 68? Unterschwarzach, top red changed to blue. Red 83 changed to blue.
latest report
@Saalbachsnowhead, The Bergfex map that you link to differs from the lift company one on the Saalbach.com website and the 2015-16 paper map. http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/lift-company/skigebiet/piste-map.html

Red 81 from Polten towards Leogang is still all red on the official map, as is all of red 83 from Asitz back towards Saalbach.

The blue link from 68 back to Polten has always existed. It is the route out if you inadvertently start to go down 68 and find it closed, i.e if you've overlooked the '68 closed' sign on the bottom of the signboard at the top of Polten. Interestingly it is not shown on the official map.

The left-hand floodlit piste off the top of the Unterschwartzach U-bahn lift is still red on the official map.
ski holidays
I assumed they just hadn't changed the one on the Saalbach website... Is that one not official then?
Is also featured these websites :
http://www.onthesnow.com/salzburg/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/trailmap.html
https://www.snow-online.com/ski-resort/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang_trailmap.html
http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang-fieberbrunn-skicircus/trail-map/

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 15-11-15 0:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Saalbachsnowhead, I'm assuming that the Lift Company map is the official one, not the Bergfex version.
ski holidays
ah, ok, shame, I think I prefer that version, I don't like the yellow snow making glow of the runs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy