Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in India??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am plannig a trip to India and would like to go to Auli for skiing (the 'premier' ski resort in India) bu tthere seems to be littel information available on the location.
has anyone been there or know anything about it - length of runs, type of runs, off piste runs etc. etc.
any infor would be great.
cheers
matt
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
matt, welcome to snowheads, I don't know of anyone who has skied in India, although I do seem to recall an earlier topic re India. Good luck I'm sure we'll all be interested in hearing your experiences.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've found this link that may help.
http://www.travelmasti.com/domestic/uttarpradesh/auli.htm

The skiing appears to be a bit limited to say the least. I find that surprising when you consider the scale of the Himalaya mountain range. There is a vertical drop of only 150m, and only 2 lifts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could try the Resorts section of SnowBase (above). It has 4 Indian resorts in it - though I've not looked into how much detail they may have.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
..and I thought Gulmarg was 'the premier resort in India'...sorry, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Matt F, can't help you with Aulie. I have been to Gulmarg but not in the winter so not much help there either Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can ge tback to you on this but its late & i got to go to work in the morning Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone, have pretty much exausted the internet for info which has confused me somewhat. it appears to have only 3 lifts but one is 800m and one 500m but the overall vertical drop is just over 500m. there are alos some comments on message boards etc that talks of great offpiste etc but think this may be a ploy by the tourist board and have seen a pic somewhere that looks impressive.
any more info would be great
cheers
Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Matt, I visited Auli in April to do a trek. I could scan a couple of photos of Auli for you if you wanted (though i dont have them with me i'm afraid). But would you rather have the surprise? (also no snow in photos)
They have 1 or 2 drag lifts and 2 chairs, plus a big coffin that brings you up from joshimath (c 1800m). I wondered if there would be enough snow for runs down to joshimath, but there wasnt much of the white stuff last year apparently ..(..already 1-2 ft this year though). The vertical served by the chairs is closer to 150m than 500m, and the gradient is well, pretty relaxed mostly. The higher parts are rimmed by forest, which looked good for some backcountry, but beyond the ground gets very undulating and simply unskiable. Hire some Kuli's (porters) too..

Auli also has a spectacular setting in the Himilaya, and the area is also a very holy one for hindus. Have you checked out Gulmarg or Solang Nullah?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowHeads, sherpa snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks sherpa, thats all good to know. sounds like there's some scope for off piste.
have looked at gulmarg but that seems to be a bit risky for westerners at the moment and I am planning on meeting some friends who are in the auli region around january.
Not really that bothered if the skiings not upto much as its the whole trip that'll be the experience and hte scenery. although some heli skiing does appeal.
Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you'll certainly find more Indian Brainrotter in Auli.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tried skiing in Shimla in India about 8 years ago - there were 2 drags but skiiers weren't allowed to use them (they were only for climbers????) so you had to walk up the slope to ski down it. I guess what the early skiers did. I think Auli is better but I would only go to do some serious skiing if you are prepared to shell out for heli skjiing - then it would be amazing as there wonlt be many people around. Cheaper than europe but still not that cheap, I seem to remember reading an article about the main heliskiing company there fairly recently so you could try a web search. Enjoy it if you go for it....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Matt

In February I will be making my 5th visit to Gulmarg since 1999.

My website 'www.skihimalaya.com' will be completed after my return home to Australia in March.

If you would like any assistance or information on skiing in Kashmir in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at peter@skihimalaya.com.

Kind regards
Powdercat
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powdercat, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead Have a good trip to Gulmarg. Assume you know the new gondola is completed.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 18-05-05 6:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Ian!

'www.skihimalaya.com' will be online prior to May 28 - see story from today's Kashmir papers below.

Regards,
Powdercat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gulmarg Gondola inauguration on May 28

SRINAGAR, May 16: After several postponements, the world’s highest and the Asia’s longest cable car project at the famed Ski Resort of Gulmarg will finally be inaugurated on May 28, official sources said today.

The five-km-long ropeway project — Gulmarg Gondola — a joint venture of the Jammu and Kashmir Government and French firm Poma Glaski, was earlier scheduled to be inaugurated by UPA chairperson and Congress president Sonia Gandhi on April 8, a day after she along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh were to launch the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service on April 7.

However, the inauguration was cancelled after Ms Gandhi cut short her visit and air-dashed to Delhi on April 7 itself immediately after the first cross-border bus service was flagged off.

The sources said that the project has been completed in record time of about two years at the cost of Rs 110 million.

The cable car, which has been extended further by 2.65 km, will connect the bowl-shaped Kongdoori Valley with Afarwat, situated 13 km from the tourist resort of Gulmarg, and at an altitude of 13,400 ft (4,390 mt).

The second phase from Kangdoori to Afarwat was finished well ahead of time. Jammu and Kashmir State Cable Car Corporation (JKSCCC) officials said the project is aimed at promoting Gulmarg, 52 km from here, as a premier skiing destination in the world and give a major boost to the militancy-hit tourism industry in Kashmir.

Preparations for the successful launch of the cable car have been completed, they added.

The officials said engineers worked in huge drifts of snow to erect towers and lay cables in the area close to the Line of Control (LoC), overlooking Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).

The French company has also built the only other cable car in Kashmir, connecting Gulmarg to Kongdoori at a height of 3,930 mt.

They said work on the project was delayed by more than eight years after it was abandoned in 1990 when two French engineers were abducted by militants. It was completed in 1998. The Afarwat project, due to be completed last year, was delayed owing to bad weather.

"There is a limited working period..There is also sub-zero temperature for most several months in a year," they added.

The ropeway, which has 36 cabins, is expected to ferry about 600 tourists to and fro Afarwat peak.

The project, likely to be inaugurated by Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, comprises 18 towers and 30 stations. Earlier skiers used to access the destination by helicopters thus burdening them financially.

"The ropeway will make skiing a very cost effective venture for tourists. It will be a viable option for domestic visitors also. The return journey on the ropeway will cost Rs 300," the JKSCCC officials said.

"This is the world’s highest and Asia’s longest ropeway. It will be the only ropeway in the world that takes skiers to a height of 4,390 mt," they added. (UNI)
ski holidays
Try http://www.indiatravelog.com/india-adventure/skiing.html it’s quite useful. I’ve just been to India for work and may have to be there next Winter and would take my skis too. There was also an article on skiing in India in one of the recent SCGB Mags.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy