Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapo bindings or quiverkillers?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Ive got several pairs of skis due to some overenthusiastic ebaying, 2 pairs dont have any bindings and the other new pair I bought has now had some Markers fitted.

Im wanting to get some bindings put on one of the pairs which are park skis, Line 1280's I think. Just to goto the fridge with and practice some daft jumps and rails.

Im wondering if its worth buying a cheap second hand pair of bindings for this or even buying some old skis and ripping the bindings off those or should I get quiverkillers fitted onto all 3 pairs and just use the Marker bindings I already have on all of them?

Im well out of touch with equipment, is there much difference between bindings? do you get special freestyle bindings which are lighter etc?

What would you guys suggest? Im wanting to keep cost as low as possible as I already have 2 working pairs of skis and a snowboard this is just for having a laugh in the fridge.

Would there be anything too stupid about fitting 20 year old bindings onto these skis?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
medlington,
Quote:
Would there be anything too stupid about fitting 20 year old bindings onto these skis?

Nope ...................... but only if you intend to use them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimastaaah wrote:
medlington,
Quote:

Nope ...................... but only if you intend to use them.

But in what way?

Will they be too heavy?, snap off too easily or what?

I have seen a few new pairs on Ebay for around £50 which would probably be better that the old ones but Im just interested in the actual difference between them. I still ski on my 20year old skis and love them so what would be the problem with the bindings?

Also on a side note is it a big job removing a pair of bindings and fitting them to another set?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
medlington, Do you drive a 20 year old car ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
medlington, Do you drive a 20 year old car ?

Haha, not far off mate and all my music taste is stuck in the 90's too
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
medlington, Depends if they're on the Indemnified List (if you know the model, maybe someone here can tell you). I'm not too clued up on bindings, but if the springs or plastic is old and fatigued, release values could be compromised, or the binding could simply break under stress.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do not think the 20-year-old car comparison is helpful, as many people drive cars over 50 years old. And, I am fairly sure there are people out there skiing on skis and bindings of similar vintage which are still safe.
However, from where you are starting out, I would not go as far as using bindings as old as 20.
If the bindings are less than 10 years old, still new or in good condition and on the list of indemnified bindings then the only remaining thing to do is get a shop to fit and check them. If they are not on the indemnified binding list a shop will almost certainly not fit them for you; they may still be safe, but the risk is obviously greater. Fitting will cost about £25.
http://www.playitagainsportslatham.com/users/pias-10966/documents/2013_Indemnification_List.pdf

Declaration of interest: As per PM, I have a couple of pairs of unused bindings which may suit and are less then 10 years old, details to follow when I get home this evening.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks clarky999,

Dont know any model numbers as Im just thinking of buying some now, this was just an idea as Im trying to do it as cheaply as possible as I already have a couple of pairs just wanted to get some use out of the park skis that have been sitting in my bedroom for the last year, I have got a pair of head mojos without bindings too so thats why Im considering going down the quiverkiller route and then I can use just the one set of bindings I already have on all 3 pairs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unindemnified / non torque tested bindings on a park ski Shocked rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not suggesting that myself - is anyone? Would definitely not sell anything which was not on the indemnified list either
Quote:

the only remaining thing to do is get a shop to fit and check them

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
20 year old car, even a 50 year old one, if it was a good car, with good maintenance then no problem - but then again I've done some monster road trips in 30 year old heaps of junk, bought for a few hundred that had to be push started - ran nice by the end of the trip when we had don some running repairs Wink

Bindings, there are a lot of 20-30 year old bindings I wouldn't just ski on I'd rather ski on than a lot of stuff I can buy today... getting wide enough brakes is a problem - also knowing what you are looking at can be an real issue. An unused (or lightly used) pair of metal salomons from from 20 years ago would not worry me in the slightest. Skiing something really serious on a new z12 would be a risky undertaking !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Idris - thats pretty much the way Im thinking.

The Salomon bindings I have on my old GS skis seem more than capable of handling what Ill throw at them thats why I was considering just getting an old pair and stripping the bindings off which would cost me next to nowt.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
medlington, Best of luck sorting your kit out. I think Spyderjon's post says it all though. Skullie
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers for the advice guys.

Think Im going to take beequins offer of some Salomon C610 bindings which are indemnified (and hopefully torque tested)

These will only be used for messing about in the fridge, if I get any good then Ill probably start looking for some better kit.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
medlington wrote:
.....Think Im going to take beequins offer of some Salomon C610 bindings which are indemnified.....

I had someone in the shop a couple of weeks ago with some old Sallies to test & IIRC some of the 610 series are still on the Indemnified list but not the actual C610. On my mobile at the mo so can't check.
snow report
i bought a set of Tyrolia Peak 12 from EB a few weeks ago in the sale for just over £60 , much to my surprise they fitted them for this price too. Very Happy
snow conditions
icyjock wrote:
i bought a set of Tyrolia Peak 12 from EB a few weeks ago in the sale for just over £60 , much to my surprise they fitted them for this price too. Very Happy

Wish Id known that sooner as Ill end up paying about 50 by the time I have these fitted, prob 60 if I include petrol to the ski shop although Im pretty sure beequin said they were not used just abit old. Still would of been nice to get some straight from a shop with a warranty and all that.
latest report
Unused, but will knock a fiver off to make us both feel better. icyjock bargain, but not everyone may be lucky with the fitting?
snow report
beequin , I think i may have been lucky , i wasnt looking for them fitted at this price but it was quite a nice surprise ,theyre quite a nice bunch in my local branch though
snow report
beequin wrote:
Unused, but will knock a fiver off to make us both feel better. icyjock bargain, but not everyone may be lucky with the fitting?

Nice one! Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy