Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK Metoffice winter forecast - Another mild winter

Poster: A snowHead
This winter is forecast to be warmer and perhaps drier than average. However, it is expected to be noticeably colder than last year, which was the second warmest since the UK Climate Series began in 1914.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2007/pr20070927.html

Forecast for Winter 2007/8

Temperature
Above-normal winter temperatures are more likely than below-normal temperatures over much of the European region. However, this winter is likely to be less mild in most regions than last winter, when exceptionally mild conditions were widespread across Europe. The influence of La Niña is to slightly enhance the likelihood of near-normal temperatures in early winter and mild conditions during late winter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Met Office is saying a warm and dry Winter.

Others are predicting a cold and snowy one.

All longterm forecasting is finger-in-the-air stuff, but it will still be interesting to see who guesses right.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it will happens the same than past summer: snow and
cold assured.
I don't understand this forecast with La Niña and negative NAO predicted
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i'm tellin the its gonna be chilly - its cold already - ski coat will be out for walk to sandwich shop at this rate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is this the same forecasters who promised us a long hot summer and never mentioned flooding and persistent rain for the school summer holidays 2007. rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, course not, they were fired! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, In a past job I had reason to visit the old Met Office in Bracknell and was astonished to see displayed that their Government set target was for a 40% accuracy rate!

More surprisingly this was based on the accuracy of the 9.00am forecast broadcast on Radio 4 for that days weather Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see the forecast is to be updated in November, December and January, giving the Meto a chance to fix the forecast if they've got it wrong.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But in June they were saying that the summer would be hot and dry while the water was flooding their offices Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They have just updated the weather forecast for tonight.

It will be dark.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
don't do this to me, I've just quit my job to do a season
ski holidays
 brian
brian
5stitches, don't panic !

When they say mild they mean relative to the 1971-2000 average, which compared to recent winters is pretty cold and when compared to last winter is positively polar.

If you look at the numbers behind the forecast, they're actually not really making any forecast about dryness, and only slightly favouring mildness.

An "average" season in Scotland (or the alps) would be just fine, thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, cheers for that - after the last few years I've given up on forecasts anyway. figures crossed though!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
This winter is forecast to be warmer and perhaps drier than average. However, it is expected to be noticeably colder than last year, which was the second warmest since the UK Climate Series began in 1914.

Well I'm not planning on skiing in the UK this winter so pffff, whaddever.
snow report
boredsurfin,

Yeah, but that was in 1942. Things have moved on wink
ski holidays
Mild weather in UK could bring North wind flowing to europe!! High presures in UK and north winds above the Alps.....The weather isn't the same in both places.
snow report
Let's be honest they haven't got a feckin' clue... It will be mild but not too mild - talk about hedging their bets! Utter b***cks.
snow conditions
Actually if you look at the charts, since there is a 25% likelihood of below average, and a 30% likelihood of average temperatures, by thier own calculations it more likely to be "average or colder" than "milder". They do have a better record of forecasting winters than summers, but this one is pretty much as non-committal as you can get.
snow report
Exclamation i did plenty of skiing which did not suck at all last season, so if this one is better - wahay!

less of the doom and gloom, people
latest report
johnboy wrote:
boredsurfin,

What Shocked in the Met office! The only thing they have moved since 1942 is their office from Bracknell to Exeter Laughing
ski holidays
RobinS, but it's also more likely to be average or milder than colder wink

Arno, I concur Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
johnboy wrote:
boredsurfin,

What Shocked in the Met office! The only thing they have moved since 1942 is their office from Bracknell to Exeter Laughing

The Met Office was in Dunstable in 1942.
snow conditions
I like the precipitation graph, nothing like sitting on the fence Shocked . I agree with dk100, they haven't got a clue.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy