Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you carry yours?

Poster: A snowHead
Boardski, how do you use the 'handbag' method (thanks for that name ben wright!) to carry your skis vertically?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a small bag with a shoulder strap and drawstring arrangement.

See www.skisling.com for typical example. About 12quid from a skishow, or mail order.

Very handy, minimal mass/size - keep mine in the goggle-pocket in my jacket and never really notice it's there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But is a skisling-type arrangement possible just by using ski pole straps?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes - link skis with brakes, reverse one pole, hook one strap over one end of skis, other over other end, then slide basket ends of poles through straps as well and pick the whole lot up.

A skisling is easier & more comfortable though, and enables you to use the poles as walking sticks - it keeps both hands free.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
austin7, are the pole straps long enough to allow you to put your arm through and carry your skis like a rifle on your back? I'm not sure that my pole straps would be long enough to let me do that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk, I think those are telemark bindings- very few come with brakes Wink which is also, I think, part of the reason he's walking duck-footed.

The brakes are impressively ineffective with any significant lifter plates (Atomic 9'18 with Xentrix and an Xcarve plate comes instantly to mind), so a strap is useful. In this scenario, the ski-tails in hand technique works best as some with smaller hands may have trouble holding any other section of the ski.

Snow Leopard, check your specific skis on the pack before you buy: if the skis are long enough or low enough they can slam into the backs of your legs; they can also get tangled above your head, block access to essential zippers, or even slice through your hydration hose. Some ski tails may not fit in the straps (can't use pole carry with FAT skis Cool ). You'll want to use your sternum strap if the pack is at all loaded; comfort in this area is a very good thing and you'll want to check for that. Careful in the shop, too: you're now 2 feet taller! Shocked snowHead

I prefer Dakine's diagonal carry system.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the snowman said Dunno, the wife carries mine

I find that the job is ideal for teenage son and heir. Combining dutiful baggage duties with a punishment for the amount he drank the night before is somehow a lot of fun for a middleaged father who can no longer drink as much as he can. AH....sweet revenge! AND problem sorted. The really GREAT thing is that I can then criticize the way he is carrying the patriarchal skis as well as how he shouldn't have a hangover at his age. Not like when I was young.. Oh, happy days....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Same as "Snow Leopard", I find it the safest way shoulder in front of the toe binding! I have yet to see anyone hit by a Norman Wisdom stunt, but have seen many people hit by inconsiderate b.........s who carry them over their shoulder while getting on cable cars and bubbles!!!!! Mad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suppose,in effect,there is no "ideal" way to carry skis(possible exception getting someone else to do it)
Have tried the ski strap thingies.Not ideal.They tend to slide off your shoulder all the time,which makes you put them over your neck.Not a good idea.You are then fixed with the skis across your back.Fall over and it hurts.
Same applies to Dakine bag loops.Excellent for when you have to climb etc;not reccomended in the lift line.Plus,you have to take off your backpack to attach/remove.
Me,like most I suspect,I use a combination of over the shoulder and upright by hand.Mind you,being a family man,I'm often to be found with skis,poles,helmets,drinks,food etc etc stuffed into every orafice ,whilst I recite the married with children mantra;"I am enjoying myself;I am enjoying myself" Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Japanese learned most of their skiing etiquette from Austrian military officers and were taught 'skis over the shoulder, tips down and under control' to avoid poking out people's eyes with those very pointed ends on the tips long, long ago. And as for men carrying skis for their female partners...'each person is responsible for his or her own skis'!! Unfortunately we no longer have Amo's here so people haven't quite worked out the correct way to carry snowboards Embarassed ; but then 'snowboarding has no history' and therefore 'should not be taught on school/university winter sports courses' rolling eyes ...."Schi Heil!!"
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Being a punter, for the last two years I've used slush & rubble's punter ski-strap. Works very well. Used the other proper method before that (as described by many above) and could continue to do so, but I find the ski carrier much more comfortable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mac46 wrote:
but then 'snowboarding has no history'

ahh, but it is the future!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
used to use the hand bag method back in the days when I skied and skis were 2 metres long. Now I use my leash as a shoulder strap so carry my board over my shoulder. My Mrs little skis either go over my shoulder or if it is not far I just use each ski like a walking stick
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone tried on of these?
You can then
or or
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk, no, they aren't.

I don't have problems with the skisling bag thing slipping off my shoulder. Maybe my shoulders are different to everyone elses ? Puzzled
snow conditions
As mentioned in an earlier post, I use a Da Kine heli-pack, about 40 squid for last seasons colours, and straps then diagonally across your back with a total of five straps (only three vital) also enough space for a spare layer, a camelback or platypus, a bit of food, some survival and avalanche gear. Also makes you look like a pro when wandering around town.
ski holidays
Over the shoulder everytime. Tips down, tails up, resting flat (not on the edges thats just plain painfull), toe piece behind the shoulder, brake of bottom shi infront of top ski to prevent top ski sliding forward, and away you go. Very Happy

I find this by far the most comfortable way to transport the planks over long or short distances, and am mostly spotted with a pair on each shoulder. The only way to get the other half up to the slopes without suffering verbal abuse rolling eyes It also balances you out nicely.

Have even used this technique to ski down with a friends skis after the muppets that were supposed to be supervising his first day on the slopes lost him, Shocked and I found him half way up the mountain walking down using the staff method. I relieved him of his burdon to allow him to use his poles properly.
ski holidays
I use the over the shoulder technique and the way I get around shoulder "dent" is I always wear a back pack and the skies sit nicely on the shoulder strap and don't press directly into the shoulder. Having said that I do as little ski carrying as I possibly can!!!!
snow conditions
That photo of the telemarker carrying his skis with skins attached on low angle deep snow. Kind of like a cyclist carrying his bicycle across a stretch of pavement! I cringe when my boards "scissor" like that. Maybe with skins on you might not get the grating sound of edges dulling each other. Ouch!

I like to carry my skis over the shoulder tips up. This style gave way to the tips down variation in the late sixties, but I never got with the program. I think tips up is a little more comfortable, the binding are not poking me as much.
ski holidays
If only it were as simple as only carrying your own skis.

The family Zorro technique is ...
Mr Z carries his and Mrs Z's skis
Mrs Z carries Zit 1's and Zit 2's skis
Zit 1 carries Zit 3's skis and Mr Z's poles
Zit 2 carries Mrs Z's and Zit 1's poles
Zit 3 carries Zit 2 and Zit 3 poles.

Sometimes Mr Z also ends up carrying Zit 3, but then that really complicates things.

Learning by mistakes I established that it is important to check what the Zits are carrying shortly after starting off and not waiting until you get to the destination.

Aim would be to get ski in/ski out accommodation, as arms grew in length by 3 inches last year.
latest report
Aim would be to get ski in/ski out accommodation, as arms grew in length by 3 inches last year.
[/quote]
But what fun you would miss trying to get on and off crowded ski buses.
snow report
David Goldsmith,

I was taught your method by the instructor on my first ESF lesson.
latest report
It's quite simple really - Ones butler carries one to the helicopter, and then puts ones feet in fresh warm boots, whilst the senior footman and chauffeur load ones skis, poles, picnic, and champagne into the carrying rack.

One doesn't see what all the fuss is about!
snow conditions
snowHead Laughing
latest report
I have noticed that ski sling are selling direct on ebay and that you can buy now for £9.50 (as opposed to the £14.50 on the website). You may be lucky and get some for £8.00.

Never tried them personally, but have got some as "Christmas stocking fillers" for the family - I shall make them carry their own skis now!!!!!
ski holidays
Kramer, Yes, but do ensure one's butler packs the vodka and martini. Mine didn't last time, and I had to sack him. Good staff are so hard to get these days.
snow conditions
Personally one prefers a single malt on the slopes. But it does seem difficult to find someone to make a back-pack which goes well with the butler's tails. (Unfortunately his ski technique wasn't up to carrying it on the silver tray. We lost so many glasses that way.)
snow conditions
i dont carry skis

u shud all go to a gud resort where u can ski out oif the locker room and straight to the chair lifts
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, one's butler finds it far easier to carry them on a tea tray.
snow conditions
I'm firmly of the skis on shoulder, tips down at the front, persuasion. What really bugs me is other people carrying poles up stairs in front of me and swinging them back and forth with no thought of where the sharp end might be. Shocked
snow conditions
Caspar, quite! Though I reckon I've got a pretty good idea where you think they should be Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
Mark Hunter, I think you probably have a very good idea! Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy