Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you carry yours?

Poster: A snowHead
A post in another topic mentioned carrying skis over your shoulder.

I always thought this was a bad idea as it leads to all sorts of Norman Wisdom type japes with people turning round and clouting anyone within a metre of them.

I carry my skis upright like a staff (although I've never carried a staff. Maybe there's a particular staff carrying technique which I'm unaware of but you get the idea). It's a lot more effort but there's no chance of thumping anyone with them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm an 'over the shoulder' type. I was told this is the safest way, and it seems to be the case, especially for 'er indoors ( although I always end up carrying her skis in the end ! )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old style, over the shoulder, tips upwards not horizontal like a plank, I've yet to hit anyone with them and I carry them in my hand when it gets crowded
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with DGO. My approach is skis on shoulder, but tips forward and pulled down, so the tails are high and only likely to hit a passing seagull (when skiing near the coast), not a pedestrian.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 21-10-04 9:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tips upwards? You must have long arms DGO Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use the over-the-shoulder method when walking long distances, and when there aren't many people around, and I'm careful with them, having been clouted by wannabe Norman Wisdom's! When I reach my destination and it starts getting busier I switch to the staff position, especially in queues. Although, there's always someone in every queue who hasn't grasped the concept of other peoples safety.

I've always wanted to be able to attach my skis to my back-pack - what's the best way of doing this?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
over the shoulder, but tips in hands and hands down by my waist so the ski tails are up in the air
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apart from anything else, it's the only comfortable way to carry your skis over any sort of distance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Over the shoulder like a rifle. Odd that jacket shoulders don't rip up on sharp edges like gloves do.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Over the shoulder, tips down, toe binding stopping the skis sliding down past my shoulder. Is there any other way to carry skis? Can't imagine me carrying them like a staff for any distance without unnecessary arm-ache!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dunno, the wife carries mine
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow Leopard, you need straps either side of the pack and another to bind the tips of the skis together to stop them flapping around. It's quite a stable arrangement but watch out for low branches when climbing through trees Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Exactly the same as rob@rar.org.uk,

Quote:

Over the shoulder, tips down, toe binding stopping the skis sliding down past my shoulder

Could always find a ski-in / ski-out i suppose.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing

Aren't there any leashes that could go round the bindings so you could sling them over your shoulder, with older skis i guess this would have been a problem with hte backs dragging on the floor, but with these newer shorter skis is it possible? I used to hate carrying them, especially while wearing storm trooper boots Wink

Have to say the majority of sk=ers don't seem to realise what a weapon they carry..............a bit like people and umbrellas. Being 6'4" i tend to be the prey of choice as well, and end up either having to go around with my arm by my face grabbing skis out of the way or use my board as a shield. The brits seem to be the most considerate, some europeans in Courmayeur last year were swinging them round like they were a helicopter, almost took my head off...............they thought it was funny till they saw who they almost hit (did hit my forearm though!) Twisted Evil Little Angel snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow Leopard wrote:

I've always wanted to be able to attach my skis to my back-pack - what's the best way of doing this?

If you have straps at the sides of your backpack the normal method to attach skis (to climb etc) is like this sketch .
ski holidays
I see someone already answered verbally, but it took a long time putting my sketch on the web!
latest report
snowball, but it's much more eloquent than my answer snowHead
snow report
Thanks. Should have mentioned you really need a waist strap on your back-pack to keep it stable (but if it has side straps it probably has them anyway).
If you find the above method too unstable you can have the bottom strap between the toe and heel bindings, though this takes a bit longer to take on and off and you have to be careful not to catch the heels of the skis in the snow when climbing steeply.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-10-04 11:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Odd that jacket shoulders don't rip up on sharp edges like gloves do
don't bank on that. I cut up my Columbia Titanium after a ski service.
snow conditions
Yep never carry them with the edges against your jacket unless you like a new jacket every year Laughing
snow conditions
I suppose it is because when they are over your shoulder the skis are clamped together so the edges face each other. With gloves on you are often pulling them apart and that must be when the thumbs get cut through. Mine do anyway. It's why I buy cheap gloves.
latest report
Exactly like Snow Leopard, but also use skis like crutch on stairs or steep and icy slopes (especially downhill) in town.
latest report
Chris Bish, when pulling the skis apart I always grap the binfings and pull them apart, keeping fingers away from the edges at all times
snow report
this is another good reason to wear a helmet!

another problem is when people carry their poles horizontally in one hand (usually tips backwards) while climbing stairs up to bubbles, telepheriques, etc. More than a few times I've had to dodge a pole being jerked backwards at exactly face height.

as an aside, do skiers have any concerns about the way we boarders carry our boards?
ski holidays
Has anybody tried one of those ski tie things that you wear over the shoulder ? I thought this could be the answer to carrying the wife's skis...
latest report
Quote:
as an aside, do skiers have any concerns about the way we boarders carry our boards?

If anything, the natural way to carry a board (sort of tucked under the arm) is a lot more civilised than people who carry their skis like a plank of wood.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, you mean a bit like a shotgun? Its easier with modern shorties than the old 210s
The advantage of using them like Timberwolf's staff is its like a walking stick and knocks snow out of the bindings as you clank along.
snow report
Alan / snowball,

Thanks for the explanations and diagram - most helpful. My current back-pack doesn't have side-straps. Sad If I start to need to do any serious off-piste hiking I'll have to get a new back-pack. Good excuse to spend though! Little Angel
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find carrying skis on my shoulder, apart from it hurting my shoulder, makes me a bit top heavy which always makes me rather precariously wobbly when walking in ski boots across icy ground. Therefore I try and carry them under my arm. It might look strange but I'm more stable and less likely to crack my head on the pavement.

Don't you find they have a lot of steps in ski resorts? I suppose it's because it's hilly but I find it very unnerving going down steps in ski boots all the same. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, the trouble with carrying your skis like a staff is that you have to continually pick them up and put them down as you walk along. That's OK is you're not going to far, but if you have to walk any distance it soon results in tired arms.

Putting your skis on your shoulder means you don't have to support their weight with your arms. If you place the tips down and the bindings behind your shoulder the skis are nicely counter-balanced, allowing you to drap your arm over the front of the skis and pull them into your chest so they don't overhang too much at the back. I understand Snowy's point about a painful shoulder, but for me this is a small price to pay for the ease with which my skis can be carried.
ski holidays
snowball, just to complement your excellent sketch, here's another version demonstrated by competitors in the amazing Zermatt-Verbier overnight event: the Patrouille des Glaciers

Unfortunately it's not clear from the photo how the skis are fixed to the backpacks, but I remember (having seen the event last April) that many were carrying skis the way you do.
latest report
Martin Nicholas this isn't the best example of what I mean, but it's is the only photo I could find on the net:

Modern skis will be held together by their brakes, so they won't seperate like this guy's skis have. Weight is carried on the shoulder rather than in the arms, and you have one hand free to carry poles to aid balance and grip.
snow report
I use a similar technique but hold mine by the tail of the skis with the tips in the air behind me, slightly more upright so less likely to hit people behind me
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
snowball, just to complement your excellent sketch, here's another version demonstrated by competitors in the amazing Zermatt-Verbier overnight event: the Patrouille des Glaciers

Unfortunately it's not clear from the photo how the skis are fixed to the backpacks, but I remember (having seen the event last April) that many were carrying skis the way you do.
Looks like they had another set of straps on their back-packs.
I need a new, larger pack: I'm going on a semi-tour in March around the Monte Rosa area (carrying clothes from village to village (or sometimes hut) but almost no skinning) so I'll look if any of them have those extra straps.

Ski carrying: my vote is for over the shoulder, tips forward, with arm languidly draped over the front end to counterbalance, much like the photo but skis locked together. (I think its what they usually teach now).
As a child I was taught the tips high, heels of the skis resting in the hand version.
However on an icy slope or to clamber over rocks etc then using them like a staff gives the needed stability.
snow report
looks like the clacier patrol were using the method you find on Da Kine bags - one fixed loop at the bottom (usually over to one side), through which you put both skis (bases together, bindings keeping them fastened) and another strap at the top to tie the skis down (usual;y on the opposite side of the bag)

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Products%20pages/snowsports/backpacks/dakine%20images/dk%20Ridge.jpg
latest report
The "staff" technique can be very useful but if used too much/enthusiastically on hard ground can result in separation of the component parts of the ski at the heel end - I've seen quite a few skis wrecked by doing that Cool
snow report
Balanced over the shoulder, edges facing each other, tips forward, tail back, ski poles on right hand together.
snow conditions
Carrying skis and ironing shirts; its all much of a muchness. Get the missus to do it.
ski holidays
If I have a huge distance (>100m) to cover to the slopes I tend to carry mine by making a handle out of the poles.
If done correctly they can be carried Vertically or horizontally.
ski holidays
Boardski, I use the 'handbag' method as well but feel a bit of an clown doing so. I only use it when I've been lumbered with carrying 2 sets of skis and poles.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy