Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for equipment at non ripoff prices

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, first trip for the family, so looking at suiting up and everything else at a sensible price. Can you recommend places? I work in Covent Garden, London, lot of good gear in the designer shops around, but at designer prices.

TKMax at Woking had some decent looking suits but didn't go over a large and they were very small on me.

Also recommended ASDA, but no sign of stuff there, so must be too early in the season.

Thanks for any suggestions.
neil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stackem, welcome to snowheads I think ALDI were doing ski clothes at low cost. There is a Helly Hansen outlet store in Bicester Shopping Village.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi stackem evs, welcome to snowHeads snowHead You could also try ebay - there's quite a bit of brand new gear on there if you don't fancy used and you can pick up good gear at pretty low prices. The downside is you can't see/try on before you buy - check they will accept returns if doesn't fit etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stick with TK Maxx. They are always having good stuff in, it's just that thier delivery patterns are totally unpredictable and you have to get lucky.

You can get top quality gear for very low prices. They even had Killy and Patagonia stuff in Wolverhampton last week.

Admittedly the best stuff is often XXL (Just fine for me!) or XS (wife) but if you are patient you can get some stunning bargains.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stackem evs,

I can't comment on the ALDI gear, but my brother-in-law skied with us for the first time in France last year and bought a pair of ski pants from ASDA for about £25. They seemed like a bargain at the time, especially for a beginner.

However, after a day or two's snowploughing on the greens he realised that they had all the breathability of a bin liner! Each evening he would take them off and then have to mop the bathroom floor - not nice! Now granted he is a big tall chap and snowploughing all day long takes it out of the legs, but needless to say he bought a pair of branded pants after a couple of days and was much more comfortable on the slopes. (Think they were Salomon - expensive but they were the only ones we could find in resort to fit - XXL)

TKmaxx seem to be the best for decent branded stuff such as Trespass and Columbia but as you've found out you need to keep going and checking.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stackem evs, you could hire gear for your holiday and either buy ski stuff in the sales in the resort shops or wait until April and go to your local ski shop and catch their end of season sale.

Then you won't end up with duff gear that doesn't work properly. Also, if you find you hate skiing, you don't have to buy anything. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Now! Come on snowheads: we can do better that this! What about all the old stuff? Reading throught the threads here I thought everyone was getting new outfits this year. So what happened to last year's stuff?

I agree with crispy: make sure you get good stuff. If you buy, none of it will be wasted. According to metcheck this winter will be a cold one. But we are also going to get power cuts , so you will need all those thermals, hats, gloves, warm trousers and jacket just to get through the winter here.
I'm stocking up on firewood and whisky.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The factory outlets seem to have some good deals if you can get to them. The best deals are usually for mega expensive gear at expensive prices though but still good stuff. Try Tog24 , Mountain sports and Trespass if you can
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Keep looking in TK Max they get new stuff in all the time, I bought all mine there first time round and couldnt fault any of it - also Blacks outdoor shops are good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also try http://www.cccoutdoors.co.uk/
They don't do ski stuff specifically, but they do sell a lot of outdoors stuff that does the job.

Also, the Mountain Warehouse on Southampton St. (I think it is - down to the Strand, just pass EB and F&T) will be worth a look for similar reasons.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skanky wrote:

Also, the Mountain Warehouse on Southampton St. (I think it is - down to the Strand, just pass EB and F&T) will be worth a look for similar reasons.

Just popped down and had a look in the Mountain Warehouse, only five minutes from work. Not a big shop but an excellent range of stuff in there.

Lot of stuff not skiing. Ski Jackets from £39 to £200, and the £39 ones look good to me, specially ones made by a company called "Trespass", don't know if they are unheard off, or maybe a year or two seasons old? But I liked the look of them.

Worth a look for anyone in this part of the world.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try Decathlon .

They have a lot of cheap gear that is meant to be okay quality.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B wrote:
Try Decathlon .

They have a lot of cheap gear that is meant to be okay quality.

Most of the stuff you hear about the UK being overpriced is nonsense but Decathlon do charge a good way more in the UK than France. We've got a lot of Decathlon/Quecha gear and it's excellent quality, Mrs Ise buys it by the car load in fact Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also found Decathalon to be really good. They have a large store (actually two next to each other) just along Thames near the Tower Bridge. In fact the smaller adjacent shop was FILLED with ski stuff, surprisingly for London the prices were reasonable - I went in to browse and purchased. Don't forget ebay as well, you will find lots of brand new "buy now" stuff from shops or e tailers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stackem evs, I think Trespass used to do sailing stuff, I think. I certianly used a sailing (it certainly seemed to be a siling jacket) jacket of theirs on the slopes for years (it was big and yellow and was bopught before there was a sudden rush of yellow jackets on the slopes). Anyway, it would still be usable now but vanished a couple fo years ago. I've no idea when or where.

I reckon they'll be fine. Also if you visit TKMaxx you may find a lot of Quicksilver stuff who are fine, too.
snow report
www.trespass.co.uk

They have factory outlets all over the UK. While not the best ski gear in the world, it's good value for the price of it. The trespass outlets are especially good for your underlayers, (thermals, socks etc), fleeces and so on.
snow conditions
I have a Trespass jacket £35 out of Matalan - Bargain, its really comfy, does the job and it looks nice! I recommend them
snow report
Have to second the TK Maxx suggestions - saw Nike ACG Ladies troos in there last week for £50, half the price they are in S&R. I don't need them or I'd have had them. Have you tried M&M Sports - they do catalogues & are on the internet? They do some VERY well priced Helly Hanson & Berghaus stuff - might be last seasons designs but who cares?!!
snow conditions
Argos Additions are now the home of Rodeo which was C&A's brand, still cheap and does the job.
Got some Patagonia shell techno trousers from TKMaxx last year at a complete steal, all I have to do is lose a few pounds to get them to fit.
latest report
Marks and Sparks is now selling ski gear - prices looked reasonable.
snow report
If any one's going to Canada I suggest holding off and stocking up in one if the Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) stores. There are stores in most major cities including Calgary. Stuff is good quality and inexpensive. Also good for hardware.
snow conditions
I checked out ASDA on Saturday as they were advertising ski gear in stock.

Pretty reasonable prices especially for kids' stuff. Not breathable fabrics but well enough made to be able to last until grown out of. Kids don't need that stuff as much as us sweaty and over-weight adults anyway. Their gloves at £7 a pair looked OK for people trying it for the first time and not wanting to invest heavily.

No technical (i.e.thin) socks. Adult stuff was (I think) around £35 for a jacket. Looked OK. Logo impersonates Quiksilver.
latest report
Ebay is a good bet
ski holidays
Just wait for Aldi to advertise their ski gear - they have special sales on a Thursday and the ski wear should be in the next four weeks I reckon. You need to get there early when it comes on sale. Gear is excellent and made by Crane sports in Germany. Kitted out my two kids last year with everything (ski suits, glasses, thermals, socks, tops etc). Ski suits were only £15.99 each - I was sceptical until I saw them - excellent quality, nicely made and as good as anything mainstream.

Regards
Dave
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead kendadj!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy