Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One writer's view of St Moritz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've only skied there once - and that was over 40 years ago when St Anton was surprisingly starved of snow at Christmas but St Moritz had plenty - and I remember some great runs.

Here's a more recent (!) review of the resort's multiple attraction from today's Houston Chronicle by Harry Shuttock who - one gets the impression - does very little skiing!

Whatever, it's definitely a place to ski. One reason its snow reliability is so good is that it's within 50m (1800m) of the altitude of Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stayed there in the Hotel Eden Garni (bed and breakfast) for a couple of nights several years ago and found it very plesant, right in the middle of the old town. I found the area a little up market for my tastes but very scenic none the less, Badrutts Palace has to be seen to be believed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't been there yet but it is at the bottom of the skiing resorts that I like to visits.

Possibly due my 100 times more respect for the hard-nose skiers coming down the Vallee Blanc than those skiing in a ming coat, on non-shaped skis and wearing a pair of read-entry boots in St. Moritz.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, remember, though that resorts full of rich people who find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning provide huge opportunities for those who want to ski empty mountains.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

skiing in a ming coat

Yep, minging, or what Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I learnt to ski there in 1978, and then made 2 more trips there during the early 1980's, and as I was still at school in those days, I can honestly say you do not need a fur coat or pots of money to ski there, although you can smell luxury in the air in the village. We used to stay in the Youth Hostel in St Moritz, which was rebuilt in 1977 or 78 and was pretty good - made British hostels seem very down at heel. Only 4 to a room and beautiful shower rooms - in fact the accommodation would put many French apartments to shame today.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IceQueen, I was talking to a non-ski-ing friend at the weekend whose sons go to St. Moritz with the school and stay at the Youth Hostel. She thought they were getting a good deal for £600 each, including coach travel. It must be a very luxurious Youth Hostel. Why on earth would would a school trip go to St. Moritz?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skied St. Moritz last year and loved it. Why? No crowds and wonderful snow and terrain. Also, one does not have to stay in in Dorf to have a good time. Bad or Celerina will work just fine. The two best kept secrets at St. Moritz are Diavolezza and Lagalb.

Here's a report I wrote on the experience for DCSki:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=130&mode=headlines

PS I was in Italy two weeks ago and searched high and low in Tuscany and Umbria for gnocchi that rivaled the gnocchi that I ate at the Piz Nair mountain restaurant. Needless to say, I failed in my quest. The food in St. Moritz is truly world-class. At St. Moritz, you get what you pay for.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I skied Corviglia on a day trip from Davos. Snow was better in Davos though.

I would definitely have a week in St Moritz in the Palace or Kulm - if I won the lottery.

The Chinaman(?) who mentions the Ming coats has it wrong. The St Moritz crowd will have good gear. However, I have heard stories of punters going up the mountain late, having a good lunch and then ringing the hotel to ask them to send a man up to bring their skis back down. There could be a fair amount of posing going on - but that leaves the slopes free as someone else said.

Sat opposite some ould biddies on the Davos train. They were heading on for St Moritz. Fair play they had the manners to ask if they could sit down. You don't get that on a commuter train. They seemed more worried about making up a four for bridge and what ear rings they were going to wear than the prospect of skiing.

I suppose you get a lot of nouveau riche types and yanks which would doubtless annoy the old money set as well. Davos is more understated. I think it is a better resort on initial impressions - but you get a classier holiday for the same outlay in a good Swiss resort than say Courchevel or Val d'Isere. Oh and it is also nice to arrive in a resort after a scenic train transfer with no need to carry your luggage after checking it in at the airport.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnfmh, you were in Italy two weeks ago (make that three now)? You should have pm'd me!!!
I'm sorry that last winter my agenda did not allow me to come and ski with you.
Also, I plan to go skii St. Moritz this winter, a couple of times.
Additionally, it is possible to ski friday nights from 1900 till 0200...see http://www.bergbahnenengadin.ch/ under Corvatsch snow nights
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy