Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Insurance (2)

Poster: A snowHead
I did start this post off on SCGB but as we all know .......

After being wiped out in Arinsal this year I think the authorities need to tighten up on those who ski without insurance. It would be simple to show your insurance document before a lift pass is issued. It would only take seconds and at least you would know all those on the slopes are covered. Any thoughts ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

at least you would know all those on the slopes are covered

hmm - as far as I know there is nothing to stop anyone skinning up a mountain and skiing down, it is not essential to buy a lift pass to go skiing Wink

An admirable idea, but how long, say, before insurance companies insisted that folk had to take lessons, pass a test etc before they would insure them, or charge bigger premiums for young/inexperienced sliders and riders? Paying medical expenses is one thing, but if they start getting hit with large personal liability claims where will it lead?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
agreed Alan - otherwise where will it all end?. Take the fun out of it and whats the poiint!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been thinking about this for the last half hour or so, with a proviso I think that it's not a bad idea, the proviso is that I'm concerned about the way you wrote your message, it would appear that you may wish to claim against the person who hit you and I'm not in favour of getting lawyers even bigger bank balences than they already have.

So ... yes I would be in favour of those people buying a lift pass proving that they are covered for accident and rescue, especially if the lift agents could then offer such a package to those who didn't have any.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm entirely in favour of claiming against someone who hits you on skis. The only time I've ever been injured was when I was hit by an out-control woman who shouldn't have been on the slope she was on. I remember Ali Ross personally suing someone who'd run into him and more power to him as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 18-10-04 6:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax, but where does that stop, don't get me wrong, in certain circumstances legal action may well be required, what I'm afraid of is a sudden rash of claims, from minor incidents, resulting in unaffordable insurance for the majority, there will always be accidents in snowsports, but we should not target these people for persecution by the courts unless their actions are completely rediculous and without care for others.

2 examples

1. An early intermediate catches an edge and falls down a slope into another person lower down the slope breaking their leg, an honest accident has occured should he be prosecuted for the accident ?

2. An early intermediate comes over a hill and hits a sunbathing snowboarder just beyond the ridge in the middle of the piste, both people are injured, who gets prosecuted ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have just checked the small print in my policy (Liz please note Little Angel ). As I read it I have personal liability cover but no cover for any legal expenses or costs incurred if I am subject to a criminal prosecution.
Anyone know if skiing/boarding dangerously/without due care/under the influence etc etc are criminal offences (as opposed to should be, if not)?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skiing is an potentially dangerous sport and anyone who participates should be aware of that and conduct themselves responsibly when on the mountain. Yes, in a minority of cases, where there is a flagrent dis-regard for the safety of others then a prosecution could be contemplated. But it is a big streach to say that every incident should be litiagable - accidents do happen - even to the most experienced skiers who take all precautions.

Risk is inherent in this game and thats part of the fun. Take that out by bringing in the lawyers at every opportunity and it ceases to be. Our premiums invariable go up as well. Common sense must prevail.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Mason, David@traxvax, a real can of worms you have opened up here - at least I hope so: something meaty for the Monday crowd to get their teeth into.
You got me worried. None of us are perfect. I fall. I turn without warning. I set off without looking. Am I going to be sued each time if as a result someone gets injured?
And what if I fall, a hired ski comes off and slides down the hill to injure someone. Who gets sued then? Me, or the guy who set the bindings?
Of course there are idiots on the slopes who need their goolies boiled in oil (its usually blokes), but so difficult to decide when it is a simple error and when it is a prat. In general: I make simple errors, he is a prat.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, Actually the really dangerous ones are fairly easy for experienced skiers to spot, the trouble is that many European resorts will not remove their ski passes for being prats, if they did that might well all but eliminate the complete beginner on black run situation, after all it then becomes cheaper to get lessons than to buy a new pass/get fined each day.

Generally it's the innocent person who gets hurt by these prats, the prat often getting away without being identified, insurance is all well and good but policing the slopes is often a better solution, if it can be done politely so much the better, dry slopes won't allow beginners to free ski, why should real mountains be any different. A certificate of competance perhaps ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
A certificate of competance perhaps ?

Certificates of competence wouldn't help at all. It's not the "complete beginner on a black" that bothers me - I can avoid that kind of person by giving them space to wipe out spectactularly. I'm more concerned with the kind of skier who's competent enough to ski fast, but too dumb to ski carefully.

Last year a speeding blader missed my 8-year old son by less than 6 inches on a fast but crowded red run in Tignes; if there'd been a collision, there's little doubt that my lad would have been seriously injured. But the blader was a great skier and fully under control - it's just that he was racing his friend and couldn't care less about the risks he presented to others on the mountain.

You're not allowed to drive a car without 3rd party insurance. Why should you be allowed to take greater risks on skis without demonstrating that you have the means to pay for any injuries that you might cause?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many resorts here do offer (and broadly advertise) insurance included into the lift ticket price...
As for what is truly covered by this insurance...better read the small print
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One guy I'd have cheerfully prosecuted a few years ago if I'd been injured: I was returning home on an empty, gentle piste at the end of the day. My piste crossed a much steeper, faster one and a guy completely out of control bombing down the hill hit me full on and sent us flying some way down his piste with him on top. A totally empty mountain and he managed to hit the only other skier (who was moving slowly in a straight line)! I had some big bruises and was badly winded but nothing else. What a prat though! It's like the British army lorry in North Africa that managed to collide with the only tree for several hundred miles in the middle of the desert and kill it.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 18-10-04 9:13; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alan Craggs wrote:
An admirable idea, but how long, say, before insurance companies insisted that folk had to take lessons, pass a test etc before they would insure them

I'd feel happier if people were made to go for lessons. This guy I know went skiing earlier this year and tried to learn to ski all by himself for the week. He reckons he was on red runs by the end of the week but I certainly wouldn't ski with him unless I was skiing uphill from him... Shocked

I can imagine in the future that ski insurance companies may offer lower premiums to those wearing helmets, especially snowboarders who could hurt there head much more easily than a skier could.

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's crashes and near-misses. I find it ever so worrying that a few selfish skiers and snowboarders make the pistes so unsafe. Personally I was wiped out (winded but not hurt) on one occasion by a snowboarder while on a snowboard myself on the widest, emptiest piste in the world. There really are some idiots out there! Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have to say that I've been hit twice by completely out of control skiers, however in both cases I got away with it, in one case the person was very appologetic, he'd got onto a red by mistake in bad weather and had lost control, I helped him up and we skied down the run till we got onto the blue run and thereto a restaurant where he wanted to by me a drink, I have no problems with that incident, he'd made a genuine mistake and wanted to appologise. In the other case a severely out of control skier on a bright sunny day managed to hit me from behind and one side, fortunately I stayed up, he carried on down the slope end over end, landing in a heap some 200M further down the slope, breaths were held by all as the onlookers waited to see if he'd get up again, he did and managed to ski over to the chairlift but he looked very shocked, I didn't have the heart to go over and tear him off as I might have done, but I was very lucky that he glanced off me, if his skis had gone betweeen mine I might well have been killed, others on the slope estimated his speed as being anything between 50kph and 80kph Shocked
ski holidays
Snowy wrote:
I'd feel happier if people were made to go for lessons.
How many hours of instruction? Would there be a test at the end? A written paper as well? What level would need to be obtained? Skiing blacks in control? Would the learner be allowed out at all between lessons? Maybe with somebody already certificated? With L plates perhaps? Where would it all end?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of lessons (I must have had about 100 myself) but I think compulsion would get very messy and bureaucratic. My vote is for the rigorous policing and "cut up the lift pass" option.
latest report
laundryman, how about a compromise, anyone seen by the piste patrol being a complete idiot must either agree to lessons from one of a list of instructors or have their pass cut up, if after taking lessons and proving they can ski safely they are then spotted skiing dangerosly it would be an automatic ban from the slopes
snow report
Or how about, anyone acting like an idiot gets their ski bases gone over with coarse sand paper, or a damaged file.
snow report
skanky, better yet they have the whole of the length of all the edges sharpend to a razor edge, talk about twitchy skis Laughing
snow report
Perhaps they should be expected to ski in a dayglow pink one-piece punishment suit.
ski holidays
Or given an anchor to carry around. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, with florescent green stripes Twisted Evil I like it snowHead
latest report
Many resorts here do offer (and broadly advertise) insurance included into the lift ticket price...
As for what is truly covered by this insurance...better read the small print
snow report
Last year Mme. Brain was taken out 3 times on one run... by the same snowboarder! The 3rd time she shouted at him in one ear in English, I shouted in the other in French and, funnily enough, he suddenly acquired enough control of his board to avoid us the rest of the way rolling eyes

What seems to come up over and over is that it's not an issue of technical deficiency but of inconsideration or unawareness of good piste etiquette.

Most new skiers and mnay new boarders begin with lessons. During that first week, while they think they are acquiring the technical skills of their dicipline, any but the worst instructor will have subtly instilled in them the points of good, safe on-piste behaviour.

I have long advocated some kind of basic proficiency test to be passed before progressing off the nursery area. What aspects of technical ability are included or whether one gets a badge, a certificate or a piece of old rope is almost irrelevent. The whole point would be to make sure that no one went up the mountain without at least being aware of how they were expected to behave. And, aware of the potential dangers they face.

I think more and more people are taking to the slopes with nothing more than their mates "showing them how it's done" and those mates either forget or think it's too uncool to talk about how to ski/board safely.

I think the compulsory element need only be one morning, one day maybe - a kind of "Welcome to the mountains, this is how not to die!" thing.

...and as for those who are prepared to skin up the hill themselves without doing the test? I think, by the time they've got to the top, they'll know respect for the mountain Wink
ski holidays
u brain, I think you showed great control, if it had been me said snowboarder would have exited the mountain via the most verticle route possible

I wonder how much the poor behaviour has to do with where people are taught, my friends were all taught to ski on a dry slope in the UK and none of their instructors gave any coverage of piste etiquette, I know for certain because I was free skiing at the same time, in my case on the first day in resort I took them down a long blue run and covered all the basic safety tips as we went along pretty much your
Quote:

"Welcome to the mountains, this is how not to die!"
thing
, however this is not going to happen if say a bunch of inexperienced skiers all go together as no one will know any better.
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
laundryman, how about a compromise, anyone seen by the piste patrol being a complete idiot must either agree to lessons from one of a list of instructors or have their pass cut up, if after taking lessons and proving they can ski safely they are then spotted skiing dangerosly it would be an automatic ban from the slopes

Excellent idea.
latest report
U, my sympathy to Mme. Brain. Probably possible to give a farily non-forgeable chip card to new skiers if they passed such a test. But getting the bulk of experienced skiers through it would be a nightmare - so it won't happy. Pity, though Sad
latest report
I am amazed how many British skiers give up lessons well before reaching the intermediate plateau. We met a lovely group last year in Les Arcs. Their second week of skiing. They had bought skis off some car booter and had paid good money for them, nice long ones which should be on the wall of some restaurant by now. It was painful to see them on the slopes but they just would not entertain the idea of lessons. Still by the end of the week and much persuasion to ditch the skis they started to enjoy it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steady chaps, regulation only if absolutely necessary. Regulation requires administrators - administrators need money - money comes from users - users try to avoid - need more regulator/administrators - costs go up - the law abiding (who on the whole don't need the regulation) pay up - the idiots who do need regulation avoid paying.

Personally I did not have any lessons until I was an intermediate - only option were ESF arrogant overpaid Benz-ze-kneez clots. On the other hand I can read - I can read the code of behaviour which is printed on every piste map - I can read instruction books on how to ski, which meant that I was carving before carving skis as it is all there in the books - on the down side, I hardly use my poles and this has been a bit of a difficulty when I go off-piste.

Surely the problem being stated is an attitude of selfishness and has little to do with competence.
ski holidays
john wells, probably a little of both, there are some skiers who know they're in the wrong but just don't care, and there are others who don't realise the danger they are putting themselves or others in due to their lack of experience, thus my compromise idea above, if people deliberately cause danger to others then their passes should be taken away, but if it's not intentional they should be given the opportunity to learn how to do things safely
latest report
On a steady long undulating blue I had an idiot whip by me at speed far too close. Further on when he was resting I caught up with him and pointed out the error of his ways. Regretably he was British. I reminded him that I could have easily turned into him as I was doing long shallow curves and he would have been toast as I am both short and very heavy. Not sure that he understood though.
ski holidays
I am not looking to claim against anybody. Just think of it like this. Before you can buy tax for your car you have to show a valid MOT certificate.........

If someone hits me on the A1 and I am injured and lose work I can claim. If Jose Alvarez hits me on a blue in Andorra and I lose work the probability is he is not insured. Sorry about the can of worms.
snow report
Reminds me of the three british idiots I met a couple of years ago in Wengen, they were walking down a very narrow ski path (for those that know the area the one from the Hirshen to the Caprice hotels) now at this point there is a perfectly good and well maintained road for walkers and a separate ski path both clearly labled as such, because they were waloking in the same direction as the skiers they had no idea of the problems they were causing, I saw one young girl crash behind them because she could not see a way arround them, so i waited for them to get to the end of the track, intending to politely point out the mistake they had made, well they didn't take that too kindly and told me it was none of my damn buisness where they walked and that they had been coming to Wengen for 5 years and were not going to be told by some oaf what to do so why didn't I just f*** off, at that point I got a little upset, I proceded to tell them that I had been coming to the resort for over 30 years and had never seen anyone being so stupid, (not quite true, I've seen worse but not much) furthermore if I ever discovered them doing a similar act (they did claim they knew it was a piste but didn't care that it was for skiers only) that I would ensure that their next trip would be to the nearest hospital. When I get really upset I'm scarry as they found out Twisted Evil I didn't see them doing any similar acts for the next week or so, so maybe my warning worked.

The moral of the story, it's not just skiers and boarders who do dangerous things on the slopes, watch out for careless walkers and people on tobogans.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy