Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitness for over 60 beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Taking my parents skiing this February. My mum skiied for one week about 45 yers ago ( Laughing ). My Dad has never skiied. I don't want to kill them or anything so do any of the gurus out there have any ideas about simple and easy things they can do to prepare for their February trip?

They are actually reasonably fit, walking the dog and all that.

Any help will be much appreciated! Smile

PS. Sorry if this is a repeat thread!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-09-07 21:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pilates... or other core fitness....

Tai chi....

Some lunges/squats etc (older folks lose muscle mass)... Hill walking...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
one of the things hard for older beginners (and sometimes younger ones) is getting up when they fall over, inevitably on pretty flat ground. So flexibility around the hip region is important too. Yes, pilates, Tai chi etc would be excellent, but maybe they're not into that sort of thing. Just getting up off the floor would be a start, with feet together and parallel in the sort of way they would be, on skis, having to lever themselves up with arms. Cycling is very good. Walking up steep hills as good as most things. As an elderly beginner boarder, I would also counsel not too long a session each day. If they have a private lesson of, say, 2 hours, that would be plenty. Then stop for the day and go for walks, watch the scenery, have a vin chaud etc.

You will find them a nice instructor, won't you? I seem to remember you don't approve of expensive British ski schools (sorry if I am confusing you with someone else....) but you might make an exception for your old Ma and Pa?? And make sure they get really, really, short skis. The very short ones around these days (Atomic make some good ones which I think are 120cms) would be good. I have had several elderly visitors to our chalet learning happily on those, with good instruction and a bit of luck with the weather!

60 might seem old to you but, these days, we are in the prime of life....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go in Mar. It is warmer.

Sleep as close to a nursery lift as possible. Less walking in heavy gear.

Head low. It is easier to breathe.

Go to small hills, not mountains. The runs are shorter.

Austria (e.g. Zell am See) and Northeast US (e.g. Killington) are potential examples.

Shed some pounds. Get lighter, flexibler and fitter.

Slash the sodium intake. It expands lung capacity.

Take calcium and vitamin D supplements. They strengthen bones.

Good luck.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold,
Great to see someone with as sound a grip on exercise physiology as they have on evolution.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't approve of expensive english schools. You're right. Well remembered! Will get them private lessons with 360 International I reckon!

All sound stuff this. Except fitness wise they are probably closer to 50 in body age than 60.

Will pass it on. Ta!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Except fitness wise they are probably closer to 50 in body age than 60.

Well so am I, I like to think, but a completely new and demanding activity still needs to be taken in easy doses!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know - hence the request for info 6 months in advance of leaving.. Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey! I'm younger and I need to prepare for skiing each season..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
professorpool, I have to agree with pam w, regarding getting up off the snow, luckily I don't fall very often now, but find that removing a ski is can make life easier, it is a flexibility problem.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

removing a ski can make life easier,

it certainly can, and having shorter skis helps a lot too. But flexibility exercises make a big difference. We have grandchildren staying this weekend, and our floodgates (which fit into doorways) are doubling as baby gates. My husband, who has very stiff joints, found it very difficult to step over them at first, but it is already getting easier - maybe we'll leave them in place. He can't sit on the floor without something to lean against, his hips are so immobile, and if he falls on the ski slopes (which he doesn't very often, fortunately, especially since being "seen to" by easiski) I usually have to help haul him up. Trouble with a lot of the "normal" exercise, walking up hills, cycling, dog walking etc is that they don't really take the joints beyond their usual very restricted range of movement and adults in our culture spend too little of their time on the floor. (Sitting cross legged on the carpet playing bricks with a 15 month old is another good ski prep exercise).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dypcdiver, pam w,

I'm glad comments about removing a ski haven't been laughed at Embarassed wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My mum does Tai Chi and its has really helped with flexibility and balance
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russell, I do San Miguel and it and it effects my balance and flexibility wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dypcdiver wrote:
Russell, I do San Miguel and it and it effects my balance and flexibility wink Toofy Grin

Doesn't do your typing much good. wink
ski holidays
Makes me see double though rolling eyes
ski holidays
professorpool, All these are very good suggestions. I don't think though that they will need to restrict their skiing to just 2 hours a day. A lesson followed by a nice break for lunch followed by a little practise will do wonders. (or the other way round) Are you staying somewhere with a jacuzzi? They're great for after skiing for peeps with stiff joints. Very Happy
ski holidays
Aye there are jacuzzi's in the baths.

Good stuff this! Smile
latest report
professorpool, Cool
snow conditions
Dypcdiver wrote:
I have to agree with pam w, regarding getting up off the snow, luckily I don't fall very often now, but find that removing a ski is can make life easier, it is a flexibility problem.

Not just a flexibility thing! I've got long legs & a short body, & I simply can't get up using the poles on the flat - oh, how I tried when I was first learning, but it was hopeless. You know the bit in the Harry Potter film with the spider on rollerskates...

professorpool, it might be worth thinking about some upper arm/shoulder exercises for your parents as well - I know I always worry about my legs being up to it, but it's usually my shoulders that ache in the mornings when I'm skiing, because they don't get to do much the rest of the year!
ski holidays
professorpool, I'd agree with the squats and lunges with plenty of stretching. They will be fine....
latest report
Jo225 wrote:
Dypcdiver wrote:
I have to agree with pam w, regarding getting up off the snow, luckily I don't fall very often now, but find that removing a ski is can make life easier, it is a flexibility problem.

Not just a flexibility thing! I've got long legs & a short body, & I simply can't get up using the poles on the flat - oh, how I tried when I was first learning, but it was hopeless.

And I have no ankle flex thanks to badly-torn ligaments 20 years ago so find it nearly impossible to get my centre of gravity far enough forward to be able to get up Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy