Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which resorts for motorhomes?

Poster: A snowHead
This thread puts me in mind of that great film 'About Schmidt' :-

Dear Ndugu,

I am just about to set off in the Winnebago on a skiing vacation in the Alps...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val d' Isere & Tinges now have no facilities and allow Motorhome parking in very limited places, only reliable spot Tignes les brevieres. In Jan 09
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The camper site in Alpe D'Huez is right at the top, has fantastic views as its at the edge of the resort

ps I think your camper is very butch.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have just joined snowheads for info on motorhomes, I am a kean skier and have just bought a yank RV , its winterised and I am hoping to go to some ski resorts in it. But its 31ft long does anyone think this is a problem. ? I would appreciate your comments . Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello @embrookinn@btconnect.com, We saw a very big RV in the camp site at Bourg St Maurice one year (easy access to Les Arcs), and I`d guess the one at Samoens (Flaine access) would be OK too. On many sites you would perhaps need to book specific pitches but I`m sure individual sites would advise you.

In terms of parking places rather than sites I can not really help but hopefully someone else will come along who can, but you may find more information on one of the motor home forums?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@embrookinn@btconnect.com, welcome to Snowheads

There are sometimes RVs parked in the car parks between Les Carroz and Flaine, and they seem to stay for ages. Not official sites, so no electricity, water, etc., but I guess that officialdom just accepts that a few people stay in them. And size would be no issue at all - there are hundreds of parking spaces, so you'd just use two or three.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did champs du moulin in march
Fab spot - short walk to lift great skiing in area.
The family flew over and stayed in cabins there. Warm and comfortable. Great sauna each night after skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are off to Champs again this Easter for the 4th time. Yet to find a more appropriate site with guaranteed snow that late in the year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An old thread but since it is up and running again here are a few more that we've stayed at.

Official Aires: (typically €10 per night) Le Praz de Lys, La Rosiere, Vars, ValThorens, Les Menuires, Bivio, Nesselwang, Biberwier, St Vigilio, Arabba,

Campsites: (€25-35) Le Grand Bornand, Gstaad, Solden, Canazei, Cortina,

Tolerated Ski Lift Car parks: any that are out of village centres, many are semi official Aires (ie have no waste facilities). We have spent 2-3 nights at Argentiere, Le Tour, La Clusaz, Monetier, St Foy, Ehrwald, Selva di Val Gardena, Malga Ciapela.

In January we are off to the Maurienne Valley and will visit: Valloire, La Toussuire, La Norma, Val Cenis, Les Karellis, St Sorlin, and Bonneval.

Kev
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've been to the Maurienne valley for the last two years, driving and staying is accommodation, and think it's a great place. Plenty of room for you, not too busy and large variety of skiing.
It just has a nice feel to it with loads to do and see.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll try and find the name of one I used in Chamonix last year. Had power and water hook ups and shower and toilet block included. Had a ski bus stop nearby.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BoardieK, you need to add La Plange to your Aires list:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/sites-touring/overseas-sites-touring/New-Aire-for-Skiers-La-Plagne/rt/1301819/?showlatest=true&

Winter:

and
The Adventures of Melvyn and Lesley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll be heading out in mine hopefully pre crimbo
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've stayed on the old La Plagne aire a few times but not yet on the new one that you've have posted. In my post I was adding locations not given in previous posts, probably didn't make that clear.

I forgot about Camping Les Deux Glaciers which is probably the one "lostintrees" is referfing to.

There is a good guide called "All the Aires Mountains" by Vicarious books but which I think is now out of print, lists several hundred spots in detail.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes that's the one for cham. I recommend it. Can also confirm there was free campervan day parking up at les houches lift station car park but for cham proper we got the ski bus.
latest report
Hi Flow,
Have a look at motorhome ski website. Some of the posts are a little dated but will give you a good idea on what you might expect. My advice in general would be to go for the smaller resorts, usually cheaper, quieter and more user/van friendly but can still give some great skiing for three or four days, then move on to somewhere new. Use a bit of common sense when preparing for, and using the van out there but remember you are going to the Alps and not the Greenland icecap so you can usually get things sorted if you have problems. I think the major thing to consider if going for a protracted length of time is whether or not to use campsites which can charge £30 a night as opposed to aires or a corner of the car park at little or no cost but does require a generator. We have been going out in our van for the last 10 years or more for 6 or 7 weeks and loved it.
Have a great time
snow report
Some links to similar threads on this issue. Some of them are out of date, as facilities change at resorts. Val D used to have a camper van spot at La Daille, but that changed. I suspect that the upgraded free car park at Les Breviers is the preferred spot for these vehicles now. Given the improved lift system, I would probably go there if I was going again. However, some resorts are best accessed with a smaller camper van due to the steep inclines and narrow roads, whereas others are more accessible (eg. Chamonix is more accessible, as is Serre Chevalier and Montegenevre)

Taking a camper van to Zermatt is probably not possible, even a small van is dangerous on the narrow road past Tasch. Most will have limited facilities, like drainage and water. Others may have electricity.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76751&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76757&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76763&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76765&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89517&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89758&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105385&start=40
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112503&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120704&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126506&highlight=
snow conditions
There is a campsite where I see motorhomes 100m from the Gorge telecabine in Les Contamines.
snow report
Certainly plenty of campers in the car park at Les Karellis every time we go. Easy access to a fantastic area. The ski bums know a thing or two.
latest report
Bigtipper wrote:
Taking a camper van to Zermatt is probably not possible, even a small van is dangerous on the narrow road past Tasch.

Zermatt is a car-free resort.
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
I think there is one near the la daille furnicular in val d'sere. Was when I was there 5 years ago

There is one a bit further up the road, on the right hand side.

Please don't be tempted to park at the back of the apartments in La Daille. This area is now patrolled by the tow trucks.
latest report
@Kenzie, there are car parks at the edge of Zermatt, but you cannot drive through Zermatt in a petrol or diesel vehicle. Most people park in Tasch and take the train up. Electric cars are allowed in Zermatt.
ski holidays
Les Gets has one of the best Aires for doorstep skiing, but it's always been full when I've been there. The site at Nattersee nr Innsbruck has amazing facilities. The shower block has 4* luxury cubicles.

Colfosco has a very appealing site that's on my 'to do' list.
http://www.campingcolfosco.org

but the great thing about a motorhome is you can do a multi-centre holiday!
ski holidays
I've been musing on what makes the best place to ski from a motorhome. For me the most important considerations would be, in order;

1. Ski in/Ski out: adjacent to the piste or only a carpark away, low points for having to walk up a road, and definitely no buses
2. Quiet: no busy roads or loud bars but also have to consider the 5am snowplough if the spot is adjacent to the lift carpark and access road. Slight conflict with piste bashers in 1. here and we'll
ignore the evening generator humm
3: Scenic: best spots are above the village and in full sunshine with a nice view
4. Facilities: a service point or nearby toilet mean you can stay more than 2 or 3 nights, top marks for proximity
5. Price: the cheaper the better as we are there for 50-60 days

Also, hundreds of kilometres of empty pistes with no queues but that goes without saying. I'm not marking the skiing itself but these would be my marks out of 5 for some popular places we've stayed.

Resort ski in/out quiet scenic facilities price

Vars 5 5 5 5 free!
Arabba 4 5 4 4 €20
La Plagne 5 4 4 4 €12
Les Saisies 4 3 4 2 €8
Camping Colfosco 3 5 3 5 €35
Les Gets 5 3 3 2 €10
Alpe De Huez 2 5 3-5 3 €10

You will note that all are aires except Colfosco, been on some nice campsites but most need a bus to the lift. I've also stayed in some great locations in carparks but duration is limited because of the lack of facilities.

Sorry, I had it all nicely laid out but multiple spaces don't work?
ski holidays
Thanks that is useful.any for Italy apart from colfosco?
ski holidays
Our friends are now in their 12th season in their CamperVan in Serre Che - last year they changed their "pitch" to a much better one 100m from the Frejus Hotel off Route de la Bez, previous seasons they used to stay in one site at Pontillas lift but where they are now is way better.

In French Hols they move to Italy and at the moment can't decide whether to stay in Cesana (where there are more options) or go up to Sestrierre (better snow).

There also must be something special about the Site as Montgenevere as that was heaving over New Year with them over spilling on to the road by the customs - I heard that there can take 350 of them.
snow report
poppyb wrote:
Thanks that is useful.any for Italy apart from colfosco?

Arabba is on the list. We also stayed at campsites in Canazei and Cortina which I'd score at 2535 €35 and 1545 €35 due to fair walk back at Canazei and bus shuttle in Cortina. St Vigilio on the Kronplatz has an aire which would be a 4443 €25.

Currently on the aire at Valloire which is a 4443 €13.
latest report
Champs du Moulin in Venosc. Lovely campsite, serves Les Deux Alpes. Because it's at a low altitude the roads are very clear and it is easy to drive too. Short walk to the telecabin and up to the resort you go. Worth a look.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been in Zell-am-See for much of the last month, and there is a big camper site on the N edge of the lake at SeeCamp. Quite a few vans in use over New Year.
ski holidays
For Chamonix:

Apart from Les Deux Glacier (as mentioned above) which I think is rather expensive (especially when you add electric which is charged separately; you can get gites like La Tapia that cost no more) Chamonix is not desperately friendly there are a lot of places where you can park and even stay for a while but they have no facilities. The Grepon car park used be an official aire de service camping-car with a flot bleu but they closed that to campers a few years back by simply putting a 2m height limit on it.

I go out to Chamonix for the season in mine but I now stay mostly down in St Gervais-les-Bains where there is a FREE aire de service camping-car just below the Patinoire (ice rink) which has a flot bleu (just ONE!) giving ~100l water for €2, one hour electric €2, and grey and black water disposal free (€2 tokens from the tourist office who say they have no issues about length of stay). It's nothing fancy just a tarmac car park but it does the job. It's then about a 30min drive up to Chamonix (also keeps the battery charged without paying for the hook up) where I generally stay in layby/lift car park for one night before moving back to St G. One benefit of staying at St G is that it is lower and therefore doesn't get quite so cold. It's also just a 20min drive to Les Contamines or up the tramway to Les Houches or reasonably short walk to the St G gondola. All these areas are covered on the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass. Another benefit is that it's easy to pop into the big (and cheap) supermarkets en route between St G and Chamonix.

Works for me.
snow report
Trying to contact a campsite in Isola near Nice France but getting no response.
Does anyone know if Le Lac du neiges is open to motorhomers?
Really don't want to drive there to find they're closed....
ski holidays
My friend goes in his to Samoens and loves it. Snow was poor there at Christmas last year though.
snow conditions
poppyb wrote:
Trying to contact a campsite in Isola near Nice France but getting no response.
Does anyone know if Le Lac du neiges is open to motorhomers?
Really don't want to drive there to find they're closed....

Checking on the internet reveals that 'passing through' motorhomes are welcome. Couldn't see anything to show they are open in winter tho'...?!?
snow report
Has anyone got any recommendations for moho camping and skiing around Nice?
Le Lac du neiges looks perfect near isola 2000 but they are not responding.
Any ideas appreciated x
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy