Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A late run on a live volcano

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I guess the two live volcanoes most regularly skied and boarded are Etna (Sicily, Italy) and Ruapehu (North Island, New Zealand).

Ruapehu, which features the two ski areas of Whakapapa and Turoa, has enjoyed great snow depths this season - as this photo from snow.co.nz shows.

In the background are two other snow-covered volcanoes: Tongariro and Ngauruhoe.

Here's the website for Mount Ruapehu. Note the 'Volcanic Hazards' guidance, including the risk of volcanic mud flows (lahars) if the crater lake erupts. This map shows the predicted paths of the lahars, and their proximity to the ski lifts and runs.

Have we a snowHead who's skied Mount Ruapehu?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No,. I haven't, but this thread might be able to answer this.

I was buying ski-socks in my favourite emporium of bargains (TK Maxx) on Saturday when the woman in the queue behind said "Are you going skiing? Can I come?" (Jokingly)

She then asked if we were going to Chile! As she had quite an exotic accent for Wolverhampton (most are by comparison) I asked her where she was from and she said Columbia. She went on to say that the best ski resort in Columbia (about which I know little except that the equator goes through it) was destroyed when the volcano it was situated on erupted. This is all very probably within your area of expertise, David. Any ideas?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take it you mean Colombia Chris. Columbia (British) has a number of rather good resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hail from the land of long white cloud - learned to ski on the side of Ruapehu. She's nice on a nice day. Not many of those, tho. BTW she belches rarely (once in my 30-odd years) - in fact lack of decent snow-fall is a bigger problem. And the ice. And the short runs. And the VERY changable weather.

Quite honestly sking Ruapehu is fun, but it ain't any more exciting than anywhere else in the world. Think about it - if she's rumbling, the pistes will be closed.....

And don't get me started on the whole "Southern hemisphere ski-field/ Northern hemisphere ski-resort" dichotomy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes. It was a sort of South American conversation. I did point out that it was a bit late in the season for Southern Hemisphere skiing.

I guess there are high bits of Andean Columbia that have snow??? Or are the Andes nowhere near there?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's what Google came up with:

Colombia used to have a resort called Manizales which was closed just before the 1985 eruption that killed over 23,000 people.

(There's three links about the eruption)

There is apparently only one lift in Colombia now (see first link).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks skanky, . I suppose I could have Googled that myself, but it's more fun to chat. I found the blue wallpaper made the item difficult to read for one who needs glasses and won't admit it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, you're right, but I enjoy googling - especially if the question pique's my curiosity. You have to spell Colombia right to get the hits though Wink Otherwise you end up with millions of American skiing sites.

I was helped as I remembered the 1985 eruption and wondered if it was the same event.

BTW one trick for websites with dodgy backgrounds is to select the relevant text as it reverses the colour(s).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy