Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier - 29th Jan-5th Feb - transport from Turin Airport?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowy people

Me and my gal are heading to Serre Chevalier / Monetier on 29th Jan and were wondering if anyone here is going the same week and would like to join forces to book a private mini-bus from Turin airport. The quote for 2 people is horrendous but for 4 or more it’s doable. Arriving on the BA flight at 11.35am. On the return (5th Feb) our flight leaves at about midday. Any takers?

Alternatively, any knowledge about getting public transport would be gratefully received. From my research so far, it don’t seem too easy and involves buses, trains, and changes…

And any tips about Monetier would also be appreciated!

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello JonMitch, welcome to snowHeads snowHead but I'm really sorry I can't help you at all Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JonMitch, we may be there around that time, but not at the airport those times, we usually find it best to rent a car. MOnetier is lovely, though fairly quiet, We are buying an apartment there. Where are you staying? -oh yes, welcome to SnowHeads.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JonMitch,
I would echo the post above. It is possible to get bus/taxi to Turin then bus to Briancon then Bus/taxi to Monetier but a cat is easier if you can hire one. The drive is fairly straightforward though you should rent snow chains just in case you need them going over col montgenevre, this is uncommon.

Serre Chevalier has plenty of good skiing for all grades though the marking of the runs is not overtough and most of the blacks are pretty straightforward. The ESF in Monetier is I believe generally good and run good offpiste classes. There is an English ski school (Eureka) which has an excellent reputation as well.

Sometimes in recent years there have been snow droughts in January and though there should still be some reasonable skiing, you may find the amount a little limited this is when you may find it particularly useful if you have hired a car.
The liftpass for the Grand Serre Che area covers you for a day in each of Milky Way (Montgenevre, Sauze d'oulx etc.), Puy St Vincent, Deux ALpes and Alpe d'Huez all are within reasonable driving distance.

It is also not unusual for Serre Che to be bothered by a day of high winds, the slopes are a little exposed and it can be freezing, you can drive down to PSV if you have a car which is far more sheltered. None of these other resorts are easy to get to by public transport. Hope this helps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar, sorry to but in here but since when does a
Quote:
cat
need snowchains ? it either has 4 legs with claws on or a set of catapiller tracks either of which remove the need for snowchains, though how you get several people plus ski gear onto a domestic garden moggy is a mystery to me Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf,
I only rent Jaguars. Dead posh me Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, you always need at least one cat . Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, Ah but I have two Very Happy mind you if I don't feed them on time they get really angry Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JonMitch, Welcome and one tip about Monetier - it has an indoor public swimming pool. Take your cossies. I think it's a naturally-heated spa type pool. The full village name is Monetier les Bains.
Sorry cannot help on transport - I've only done it in T.O. coaches from Turin but it is a pretty straightforward drive. If your flight timing matches T.O. arrivals, you might be able to get transfer only deals from Crystal, Inghams etc. - not quick but cheap.
Last season, Serre Che got lots of early season snow. Previously, I have been there when the early season, high level build-up just never happened and when the powder eventually came it just blew off the tops as there was no base to anchor it. So high level links between parts of the resort were non-existent that year. Hope you get a good year !! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian,
Quote:
the powder eventually came it just blew off the tops as there was no base to anchor it.

There are times when masochism is a useful quality for the winter sports fanatic! Reminds of a time just across in Montgenèvre when a GS was held on a black slope high up because there was hardly any snow lower down. It was a bitterly cold morning, strong winds driving horizontal snow, felt like the skin was being flayed off your face. The piste was ice - most of the kids backed out, heading back down for a chocolat chaud. No such luck for me, condemned to freezing for four hours in the middle of nowhere, not a restaurant d'altitude in sight, until the race was done and dusted. No such thing as fair weather skiing if you get caught up in the race circuit! Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, the lack of links was a bummer but I got loads of skiing in on the big red (down to Serre Ratier) in the middle of the resort above Chantmerle. The place was empty and every time I got to the chairlift I went straight to the barriers and up again. I think (but I'm not sure) all the villages now have snow making on the runs back to resort so you'd have to be very unlucky to get no skiing at all in Serre Che. But when it doesn't 'link' it's not so much fun.
Bad weather - my worst was Cairngorm. One of these very rare for Scotland, Tee Shirt days in the morning. It all changed at lunchtime and very soon it was wind assisted frozen drizzle travelling up hill parallel to the ground. 'Sand blasted' my friend's glasses. Followed by whiteout. A cross-country skier who left the main Club House was found after I think 2 days of searching, buried and very dead only some 200m metres from his start point.
Most uncomfortable - going up the access chair at Glencoe. Rain at the bottom, slush half way up, a frozen Yeti at the top - and then we had to trudge across the plateau. I'll stick to bad weather in the Alpes, if you don't mind.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Signal for a new thread, perhaps.... scariest/worst moments?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Already been there on scariest - see here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70&highlight=moments
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JonMitch, you're welcome.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy