Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich to Jungfrau region

Poster: A snowHead
I've had lots of info recently on Wengen etc and I think I've now persuaded hubby to take a short trip over Easter as its a bit earlier this year. I have found some reasonable flights to Zurich but wanted to know the quickest and cheapest way of getting to the resorts in the Jungfrau. We have to fit this in over the Easter break as we have very little holiday left.

I would also appreciate some accommodation recommendations. We don't mind which resort (most accessible would be good) and if the standard is fairly basic then that's fine. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hayley t, the easiest way is via the swiss rail network and takes about 4 hours. There is a train station in Zurich airport and direct trains run to Interlaken (some you change at Bern). From there, you take the local train to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (depending on where you chooose to stay). From Lauterbrunnen you can then get the funicular to Murren or the train to Wengen.

Driving is an option and is usually quicker than the train - but bear in mind that Murren and Wengen have no road access, so you end up on the train anyway!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In terms of accomodation, DG Orf will have some recommendations for Wengen, and Chris Brookes for Murren. If you have time to read the epic "jungfrau ski region" thread then you might pick up on our different preferences!!

I stayed at the Hirshen (Wengen) in June and was very impressed with it - reasonable price and good food.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Elizabeth. I was hoping it would be a bit quicker than that so may go for the car option and Grindelwald.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hayley t, get the train from Zurich to Interlaken Ost, Swiss timetable From there the train goes (usually from platform 2) to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen, there is a regular hourly service from the airport however every some hours it is a direct service with no changes from the airport to Interlaken Ost, the others will mean a change in Bern or Zurich central, Its cheaper to get a Swiss Transfer Ticket from the Swiss Travel System £53 for second class adult return.

The most Accessible resorts are Lauterbrunnen (also the cheapest) and Grindelwald, though if travelling by train rather than car it makes no real difference as any train from Interlaken Ost will get you to Wengen or Murren as well, Wengen is more centrally placed and can usually be skied to resort even at Easter, Grindelwald often looses snow at the bottom of its runs that late in the season, Lauterbrunnen is very unlikely to have any snow let alone skiable snow at easter, the most snow sure is Murren because it's another 1000 ft higher than Wengen

Scenery wise it would be Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald and finally Lauterbrunnen (because it's at the bottom of a huge valley and gets very little sun in the winter)

Wengen and Murren are both virtually car free Murren even more so than Wengen (because it's smaller)

In Wengen the Bernerhof (in the high street) is quite cheap and apparently fairly basic, plus some tour ops seem to offer good value deals here later in the season, if booking privately you might try the Hirschen who it's been reported also have some cheap rooms and do good food, or my favorite, the Alpenrose, Easter will be towards the end of the season so they may be able to do you a good deal, say that David Orf reccomended them and do they have any rooms in the Chalet rather than the main hotel (it's only 50ft from the chalet door to the hotel door) from memory I think 508 (second floor south facing double/twin with en suite and balcony) would be very nice but possibly a little expensive, however the food here is superb

I'll leave it to others to reccomend accomodation in the other resorts
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If time is more important than cost, then Jungfrau Taxis will meet you off the plane and get you to the area in 1.5 hours - 2.5 hours depending on traffic. No delay picking up hire cars etc.
However, this is not a cheap option - for two people it woud be CHF400 each way.
Their e mail address is jungfrautaxi@wengen.com.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Allowing for a small delay (at 30CHf per hour due to delayed flight 60CHf for other reasons that could get very expensive) A hire car would work out to the same sort of price for a week but the train only takes about an hour longer and is cheaper and a lot less stressful, the station is underneath the airport, if hiring a car choose Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald and make sure you get accomodation with a parking place because otherwise you could be paying quite a bit for parking, plus make sure you have chains with the car, though it's unlikely you will need them you must have them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers everyone. I think we'll end up on the train and I'll look into earlier flights to maximise ski time as we will only be there for a few days.

Will check out the accommodation thanks D G.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hayley t, if you're looking at budget flights, easyJet fly to Basel which is less travelling time and a more spectacular journey (if you go via Lucerne).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hayley t, Everyone has covered most of the points so i will just add my pennies worth.

Easiest option to the Jungfrau Region as stated by Elizabeth and David is the train. Try and get the first flight out (BA Gatwick 8am or others)and then catch the train(mostly double deckers now) from Zurich and arrive in Murren/ or Wengen just after Lunch.

Resort wise, i would suggest Murren as David said its 1000ft higher and that time of the season can make all the difference.

Any questions on Murren ....just post here or in the Jungfrau thread.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To be fair in recent years Wengen has kept the runs to the resort open for almost the whole season but Murren is a little more snow certain, Grindelwald always seems to suffer with its resort runs, the last couple of years they've had more snow at resort level but it just seems to go more rapidly, I've no idea why as the Wengen resort runs get more sun.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stay in Lauterbrunnen and get the best of both worlds snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B, they want to see snow when they wake up,not just view green fields... Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, green fields in the shade, Lauterbrunnen only gets about 3 hours of sunshine a day arround mid day(if the suns out) at easter less earlier in the year Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, they can look up snowHead
latest report
All jokes aside,Lauterbrunnen is a lovely place. This summer we walked from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen via Trummelbach Falls and didn't appreciate how beautiful the valley was.In the winter we normally park the cars and head straight up to Murren so it was nice to see Lauterbrunnen that time of year..
snow report
Chris Brookes, in the Summer it's very plesant, with the sun higher in the sky it gets a lot more direct sunlight during the day, however in the winter it always seems a bit .... shady ? not the right word, it's still a nice enough place but given a choice between Grindelwald, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, or Murren as a place to stay for Winter sports I'd suggest Murren or Wengen over the other two, especially for just a few days, better to spend a few pounds more and put up with an extra journey up the mountain to get those great views plus the tranquility that either resort gives. Cool
ski holidays
I agree.
ski holidays
D G Orf, I've never known Lauterbrunnen to be shady.....I only ever see it in the dark. People go to ski....therefore will be up the mountain during the day. What it does offer is easy access to both Wengen and Murren. If you stay in one, getting to the other takes up half your day Cool
latest report
Elizabeth B, slight exageration there, on Average it takes about an hour or just under to go from Wengen to Murren by train same sort of time going the other way, of course if there's enough snow it may be possible to ski all the way down to Lauterbrunnen from Murren but it's unusual to have so much snow at easter, of course the trick with going from one to the other is to take trains that do not connect with the Interlaken Ost train, if you do that you can often go straight from one train to the other with no waiting Cool
snow report
D G Orf, you're right, of course....but you can't ski in Wengen....or Murren come to think of it Wink
snow report
Can't ski in Wengen ? what's this then not a nursery slope ? the beginners slope is right in the centre of the village adjacent to the ice rink

It's possible to ski back to the door (if there's enough snow) or near as makes no difference to the following Wengen Hotels

Eiger
Sunstar
Bernerhof
Schonegg
Berghaus
Park
Falken
Regina
Silberhorn
(What used to be the Victoria Lauberhorn but can't remember its new name)
Caprice
Hirschen
Brunner
and lastly via a short off piste section the Alpenrose
latest report
I don't recall hayley asking about a nursery slope?? And to ski back to hotels at Easter, you need to start further up the hill rolling eyes
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, As I said it depends on the snowcover, I've been there at Easter before and had more than enough snow to ski back to the village centre, however it does tend to get slushy in the late afternoon.

Anyway you said "but you can't ski in Wengen", not can't ski red/black runs in the village center, not that there can be many places where you can, most villages tend to be on flat areas of land (it being much harder to build on cliff sides) so runs would tend towards easy anyway, though back in the days when the Brunner slope had a drag lift on I seem to recall it being rated as a Red, but it's right at the edge of the village Cool
latest report
I give up.....none of this is remotely like an answer to hayley's question Embarassed
snow conditions
Victory !...... Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Not at all.....I just can't be bothered typing loads.....one day our trips will coincide and we can argue it out over a drink Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah now that I could agree to do.......... but which bar would it be !
snow report
I think you win David...not much of a fight Elizabeth !!,shame on you snowHead snowHead
latest report
Hayley T, I've stayed in Wengen at both the Regina and the Sunstar. I much preferred the Regina and would stay there again. Both food and rooms were first rate. Regina rooms were smallish, but the excellent food more than made up for it. Well worth considering.

We had dinner one night at the Schoenegg and were very impressed. We haven't stayed there, but liked the establishment, met the owner, and thought it was definitely worth a try. Very centrally located.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy