Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Really need new gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Anyway, I'll start off by saying I live in Australia and was skiing at Perisher Blue today so you know what I'm talking about.

Me and my brother have had enough of having freezing stinging hands which start to go numb.

Every time there is windy weather at Perisher we get bad stinging hands and it happens to just us 2 for some reason and it gets worse and worse. We were up there today with my Dad and a mate and it didn't happen to them and they have those really cheap gloves.

Me and my brother both use those thinner cotton gloves that go inside the main glove but it still happens.

It was very bad today especially higher up the mountain. The only solution we have so far is to go back down into the pub to take breaks to warm up our hands but it looks like we're going to have to buy expensive top of the line gloves, but it will be worth it if it stops this problem.

The current gloves I'm using are $60 AUS Core Xplorer ones but obviously they're not good enough.

Anyway, sorry for dragging on.

So basically, we need some new very good gloves that will stop this burning, stinging and numbing from happening. Price doesn't really matter because this seems to be a serious problem.

Would those leather type ones with the wool type stuff on the inside be better? Could someone please give some specific gloves which would be good if possible?

Thanks a lot guys.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 elements, windproof, warmth (insulation), waterproofness.

Leather with 3M insulation addresses most of the above, except waterproofness in Perisher.

Something like this:
http://www.auclairgloves.com/products.cfm?uid=56
http://www.reliableracing.com/detail.cfm?edp=11007069&category=3100

and slip a pair of these hand warmers inside your gloves (99 cents)
http://www.warmers.com

Or get yourself to Larry Adler's and get yourself the Marmot Expedition Mitt, but they are a bit pricey at AUD$179. It's the warmest glove/mitten that Marmot makes.

But even the pro instructors resort to rubber (with inners) when it rains over there, cos there ain't no such thing as a 100% waterproof AND breathable glove over a period of time.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 1-08-07 13:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a very cold hand person and my Burton Toasties mitts have done the trick for the last few seasons. Not sure they do that particular range anymore but maybe a Burton glove might be worth a try?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would also say - consider mitts - with separate glove style liners...
Although mitts usually used by boarders... they do seem to be much warmer
Best brand I've used is Level - if you have that out there. Aimed at boarders and tend to have wristguards built in - but they are usually detachable.
(another benefit of mitts is much easier to turn inside out to dry off if they get soaked...!!!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads Dozza, snowHead

Good to see more Ozzies about - as mountain mad says, mitts are always going to have the advantage over gloves if cold hands are a problem.
I can't say I'm an expert on gloves myself but every time the topic comes up, the name 'Hestra' seems to rank very highly in people's opinions.

btw. don't 4get to drop us a report on the conditions there in snowReports forum Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dozza, ... welcome to snowheads ... Very Happy snowHead

...'Perisher Blue' seems a very apt name ...!

I would second admin, 's suggestion of Hestra. There are some really good gloves on the market and it is a matter of personal choice really, but I am on my second pair of Hestras and wouldn't buy anything else. The old ones, recently retired had more duct tape on them that fabric, but they were well used on hard terrain almost on a daily basis. I felt I might have embarassed snowHeads at the EoSB in Val Thorens last April, so invested in a new pair. (Some may argue that I still embarassed snowHeads ... Toofy Grin , but at least I didn't sing ...)

Mitts are always warmer, but can feel a little clumsy sometimes. Hestra make a sort of hybrid, i.e thumb and forefinger seperate and the rest is mitt. Have a look on the Hestra Website anyway. I would recomend the 'Alpine Pro' range as the best.

Another decent glove is made by Outdoor Research - The Super Couloir Glove a 3-in-1 glove system. ( I think you used these at my place admin, ?)
I always use a 100% silk glove liner, on first next to my skin, then the gloves. I imagine that cotton is one of the worst materials to have as a glove liner as it keeps all the moisture next to the skin and allows it to freeze. I have been there ...!

Happy 'warm' days .....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC wrote:
Dozza, ... welcome to snowheads ... Very Happy snowHead

...'Perisher Blue' seems a very apt name ...!

I would second admin, 's suggestion of Hestra. There are some really good gloves on the market and it is a matter of personal choice really, but I am on my second pair of Hestras and wouldn't buy anything else. The old ones, recently retired had more duct tape on them that fabric, but they were well used on hard terrain almost on a daily basis. I felt I might have embarassed snowHeads at the EoSB in Val Thorens last April, so invested in a new pair. (Some may argue that I still embarassed snowHeads ... Toofy Grin , but at least I didn't sing ...)

Mitts are always warmer, but can feel a little clumsy sometimes. Hestra make a sort of hybrid, i.e thumb and forefinger seperate and the rest is mitt. Have a look on the Hestra Website anyway. I would recomend the 'Alpine Pro' range as the best.

Another decent glove is made by Outdoor Research - The Super Couloir Glove a 3-in-1 glove system. ( I think you used these at my place admin, ?)
I always use a 100% silk glove liner, on first next to my skin, then the gloves. I imagine that cotton is one of the worst materials to have as a glove liner as it keeps all the moisture next to the skin and allows it to freeze. I have been there ...!

Bernard beat me to it. Don't use cotton. Use silk or a man made fibre that wicks the moisture away .
Happy 'warm' days .....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dozza, Welcome to snowHeads. I think Gloves are the equipment area where has been the least in the way of improvement in the last 20 years. They are either too hot, too cold or too wet, and even the good ones seem to get insulation compression problems. Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads Dozza, snowHead

Good to see more Ozzies about - as mountain mad says, mitts are always going to have the advantage over gloves if cold hands are a problem.
I can't say I'm an expert on gloves myself but every time the topic comes up, the name 'Hestra' seems to rank very highly in people's opinions.

btw. don't 4get to drop us a report on the conditions there in snowReports forum Wink

Nor me, but I paid the £20 extra for my Hestra gloves just cos they had wristbands that I christened "tard-straps". Can't fault them, by far the best gloves I've had, worth every penny.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dozza, Welcome to snowHeads,
Another reommendation for Hestra from me, had a pair of mitts (with individual finger's inside) for nearly 3 seasons, skied in various temps and winds, and never suffered from the cold. They are reasonably expensive, but worth the extra money.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I really like Level gloves. Favorite at the mo is the Tiger pro leather glove, but have also got some 2 in 1 Level goretex one too. Really top quality.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman,
Quote:

I really like Level gloves

Me too. I easily get cold hands, and the Level goretex ones I got last year have been brilliant. (I don't like mitts, because you can still fiddle about with boot clips in gloves, whereas it's really impossible in mitts.) Like BernardC, though, I always wear silk liners.
Oh, welcome Dozza.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having skied Perisher (and I am doing it again this weekend Very Happy ) I don't actually think it is that cold! If your gloves stay dry, they don't have to tackle anything that gloves elsewhere don't have to deal with. Therefore, the recommendations made here should work well.

However, I have often found that the reason for cold hands isn't just because of poor gloves. It is the result of poor insulation in the rest of your clothing, resulting in reduced circulation as the body keeps heat in teh central core and doesn't distribute it to the extremeties. For instance, wearing a warmer hat can increase the temperature of your hands. So, to heat your hands, first make sure your head is as warm as possible, then add another layer to the core trunk. An added side effect is that this also works for cold feet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

even the pro instructors resort to rubber (with inners) when it rains over there

I skied with an ESF instructor who wore rubber gloves, over warm ones, on a damp, cold, day. They looked like those heavy duty ones, rather than a pair of ordinary Marigolds. I'd never thought of wearing rubber gloves, but it makes sense. And those really long waterproof coats they wear are good, too - they don't seem to rely on their Goretex to keep them dry when they're out in the snow all day.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I followed the link to the Hestra website, but the storefinder link doesn't work - does anyone know where I could find a reasonable range of Hestra gloves in the Hampshire/Sussex area? I have rather painful hands, with arthritis, and need to wear quite supple gloves, and I need to try them on - I wouldn't want to order them online. But they do sound good. I suppose their custom made outer shell gloves would look a bit less daft than rubber gloves. It's OK for ESF instructors, they look cool in anything. I need all the help I can get not to look like an elderly housewife who strayed onto the slopes by mistake!
snow report
For Europe, I always advocate rotating 2 prs of gloves so if they do get damp they get a chance to dry properly without burning them on a radiator overnight.

Also, a big fan of leather in a glove and I will 'polish' them once in a while with a leather conditioner.

Both my gloves are over 5 seasons old and they are wearing very well being looked after like this.

pam w, Most decent resorts will have a shop with Hestra gloves..surely.... I'd buy in resort.

I also like the look of Mountain Hardware gloves that crop up in EB and SNR catolgues and a gauntlet style is the best, IMV
snow report
pam w, Invicta are similar quality to Hestra and may be easier to find in Les Saisies.

I use B&Q work gloves if I am likely to get wet or pick up anything sharp. Long coats are great, you have enough of an air gap to the layer underneath that they don't need to be breathable.
snow conditions
How cold has it been?

No expert but keeping your core body warm is a good place to start. If your core (torso) gets cold it starts drawing in blood from the fingers and toes etc. So you can have the best gloves in the world but if you're not keeping the body warm then the fingers will get cold. So try another layer on the jacket.

Also have you tried any of those chemical hand warmers? I used some in canada a few years back when it didn't warmer than -30 celcius for days. Lasted for 6-8 hours, certainly help.
latest report
Thanks for the help guys.

admin, I would give a snow report but I was there for just the day. I want to go down again soon though.

waynos, I'm pretty sure my body was fine. My body was warm it was just my hands. I had a long-sleeved shirt on, a normal shirt over that, a flannelette shirt on and then my ski jacket. I tried some warmers but they didn't work at all.

I'm thinking about getting some Hestra Alpine pros and my my brother is thinking of getting some Swany ones (can't remember which ones they were)

What do you guys think about the Alpine pros and Swany gloves?
snow conditions
I've some swany gloves for very cold days. Very flexible, tactile yet still very warm & quite breathable.
ski holidays
Dude, as I'm sure I told you in another forum, don't wear cotton on the mountain. when it gets wet it makes you super cold. Invest in some polypro or merino midlayers for your core and as glove inners for your hands.

If you are the same guy that posted somewhere else (I can't remember where, one of the Aussie boards) I can't be bothered saying more as you ignored my post last time and proceeded to ask a question about leather gloves that I'd just answered.
ski holidays
What are you on about? I didn't ignore you and I won't wear those gloves next time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy