Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Moutiers - Scenic Route

Poster: A snowHead
What's the most scenic route from Geneva to Moutiers by car? Sometime this season I will be giving a lift to someone who hasn't been to the Alps before.

Looking at the map it seems to me that going via Sallanches and Megeve should be pretty good and (according to the AA website) it will only take 9 minutes more than going via Annecy. Anyone got any experience of this route?

All suggestions welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a nice route, very scenic with lots of 'chocolate box' type chalets and barns along they way. Not entirely sure that the difference would only be 9 minutes though. My impression is that it would take a bit more time than that compared to the Annecy route.

Regards

Rob
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, consider the route to Annecy via la Clusaz. Take the autoroute from Geneva toward Chamonix but come off at Bonneville. Road goes up a gorge and then over into La Clusaz via Le Chinaillon / Le Grand Bornand which are all pretty scenic valleys... great views of the Lake as you approach Annecy too.

Only caveat is that these roads (and the one through Megeve!) can get closed due to that pesky white stuff...

Stop to buy Reblochon at the cheese shop!!!

Once in Annecy, take a detour before you leave the town... leave the main road near the Hospital and follow the signs for Semnoz - takes you up the mountains and gives fantastic views of the Alps looking East toward Mont Blanc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair, don't use it, the Gorges D'Arly is blocked, has been for some time and the divertion is a nightmare. It is a lot longer than 9 minutes even when the road is open. The road via Annecy is scenic any way, don't follow the Autoroute all the way, use the old road to Annecy it's well signposted and there's virtually no time-difference you'll drive alonside the lake for a good distance. Annecy is well worth a stop in any event or stop for lunch, if you have time, at one of the restuarants alongside the lake.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've found even with the diversion there's not much difference in time as I always seem to get stuck in heavy slow traffic around lake annecy. If the weather is good then the route over Megeve is worth doing if you find the Annecy one boring. If you are in a rush do the Annecy one because its more reliable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't say I noticed the diversion was much slower either to be honest, I drive over a few times a year and it seems fine.

I can't see the point of looking for a "scenic detour", it's the Alpes, it's all scenic Very Happy

Inciidentally, the old road is a nightmare at rush hour, heavy traffic and very, very bad driving.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's lots of "open" Alpine scenery on the way up to Megève, with some great views of Mt Blanc. On the way back down, most of the route is deep within a wooded gorge. Sallanches to Megève can be quite busy on a Saturday morning of course. Like everyone else, I'm sceptical of the 9-minute claim (at any time of day or night)!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. Where does the diversion round the Gorges d'Arly go?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair, round some villages and back roads, the old road wasn't exactly a super-highway so I really don't think it's made a deal of difference. Early morning with no traffic it's quite interesting driving actually, probably not in a hire car though unless it's got a bit of go and good handling.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I had a mobile home in Chamonix I drove the Megeve to Albertville route frequently and know the place well.

In the last two years I also saw my brother family off Geneva airport after a skiing holiday with them and then went to Tarentaise to ski a few more days. Thus I drove the Geneva/Annecy/Albertville in two successive years. This is a wide, straight and fast road.

You need a lot more time for the Geneva/Sallanche/Megeve/Albertville route, more like 30 than 9 minutes I would say. Last year the diversion in Gorges Arly took at least an extra 20 to 30 minutes over the previous non-diverted route.

The D12 from Bonvillie to La Clusaz looks simple enough in my Michelin map but I haven't done that side before. The good road I know is the D909 from La Clusaz back to Annecy. The other leg going down the Flumet is quite testing for vehicle in Winter condition.

The Gorges Arly route is quite twisty and narrow but the difficult bit is the the local French drivers taking up quite a big chunk of the space from the opposing traffic. They drive pretty fast too and don't seem to bother if their cars got scratched.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Be careful about taking the back route the other side of the lake at Annecy. The police are inclined to stop and turn back cars without a local registration number.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are taking the scenic route I guess Lausanne is in completely the wrong
direction. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wrong lake as well Mark.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find it best to go wrong as soon as possible David. Mind you to Lausanne via Annecy is impressive!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are you doing anything this winter? We could always organise Mystery Tours for bad weather days!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 13-10-04 17:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Of course! Where shall we meet up?
ski holidays
Watford seems about right for you two. rolling eyes
snow report
Mark, I don't think it matters what I tell you you'd end up in the wrong contry, canton, region etc. It always amuses me, that we usually get one or two drivers every season asking for the way to Italy. They're usually Brits or Italians and they must have passed about 4 signs telling them that the Col de Petit San Bernard is ferme. They always get very bad tempered when it's explained that they have to go back almost to Chambery and follow the signs for Turin.
ski holidays
Quote:

Be careful about taking the back route the other side of the lake at Annecy. The police are inclined to stop and turn back cars without a local registration number
interestingly I tooke the back route in bad snow when central annecy was snarled up in January this year, and took 4 hours to get to the airport from Les Arcs compared to the 5.5 of the other cars that went the main road route. Thanks for the Police warning though
snow report
I can understand people getting it wrong (the "get close and start following signs /asking" method of navigating is one I use. This would probably be a bit scuppered by the odd mountain chain being in the way)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy