Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday - new World Cup season

Poster: A snowHead
Any update regarding whether the BBC or Channel 4 have the rights for the broadcast this season?. Nothing on the BBC site on this so I assume its late night Ch. 4 again Sad

Also does anyone know thw first date ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Judging from what Konrad Bartelski told me a couple of weeks back, he's anticipating commentating for Channel 4 from (memory steps in here) 14 World Cup locations.

Here's the official World Cup calendar from the International Ski Federation (FIS), which shows which weekends to mark in your diary for coverage.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks David - what an excellent site - was'nt aware of it! Lots of statistics and backup info.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've given up on Ski Sunday, I watch it all on Eurosport (and I mean all - they broadcast the whole of every World Cup race (or anyway the first 30 or 40 skiers) and every competition ski jump).
Even at its peak Ski Sunday gave you only a few of the races and just the best dozen skiers if you were lucky.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 2004/2005 FIS World Cup season starts next weekend, with the Women's and Men's Giant Slalom in Solden, Austria. I've looked through the Eurosport schedule, and they are covering the cross country skiing ftom Dortmund, but no coverage from Solden at all.

As it stands (unless Channel 4 are planning anything) you could tune into ZDF (Germany's BBC2) on an old SKY satellite system - which I thoughtfully kept after having SKY digital installed Razz . Here's the lisitng for Saturday Oct 23rd (12.00 CET - 11.00 BST) for the Women's ZDF

Come on Channel 4, get your coverage for this season sorted.... Very Happy

PS can anyone tell me how to include a link to a web page, but to display it as a word or phrase rather than the whole URL?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 17-10-04 16:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hywel What you need is something like this:

Code:

[url=http://www.snoweye.com/]Snowy webcams[/url]

Which gives this result:
Snowy webcams

My mum kept Sky analogue to see the Austrian mountain cameras every morning...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I watch German TV (ZDF) they show all the races , training. The womans winternational from Aspen will be up on Thankgiving weekend 26-28 Nov.
I wont watch on TV as I be there watching for real Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
The 2004/2005 FIS World Cup season starts next weekend, with the Women's and Men's Giant Slalom in Solden

They've just had a weekend of FIS snowboard World Cup events at Soelden as well... a shame we don't hear/see more of this, the parallel knockout races are really exciting, not quite up to boardercross levels, but great fun to watch.

Swiss whitewash in the men's today....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see Soelden has been open since the start of October, that is new information I didn't know previously. Check it out http://www.soelden.com/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was quite impressed with the early morning shows from Channel 4 last season. Especially the coverage given to Allan Baxter and Chemmy Alcott.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey no_snow_in_swindon, welcome to Snowheads. I be from that neck of the woods
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So apart from acutually being in Solden this weekend their is no TV coverage of it....that's just fantastic Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last season, Ski sunday was worse than useless for coverage, channel four was good but you had to wait for the programmes and not all races were shown.
The biggest dissappointment was Eurosport, unlike in previous years the coverage was very sporadic. There were many instances where races were being shown on mainland europe but not on British Eurosport.
They did have a wintersports forum, on which were a lot of comments from British wintersports fans complaining about the coverage. I see that this forum is not there now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the Channel 4 Website.....

Quote:

THURSDAY 21 OCTOBER
2:00am FREESPORTS ON 4: Free Skiing & Surfing
The Verbier Ride, a freeski festival created by skiers for skiers, includes the signature Big Mountain freeride, an X-Games qualifier skiercross and a spectacular slopestyle jam session. Also this week, the O'Neill Pro and the O'Neill Angels surfing events return to the golden beaches and the emerald barrels of the Plage des Cavaliers in Anglet in southwest France.

Quote:
FRIDAY 22 OCTOBER
4:05pm FREESPORTS ON 4: Freeskiing, Surfing & MotoX
This week's show features coverage of the world's leading freestyle skiing series, the Rip Curl Freeski Pro at Sass Fee in Switzerland.

Quote:
SUNDAY 24 OCTOBER
7:55am WEIRD WORLD OF SPORT
Fancy taking roller blades down a tunnel made for a Bobsleigh? Anything goes in the second episode of our new four-part series
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Everything EXCEPT the FIS World Cup for now on Channel 4. I can't belief Eurosport ain't covering this weekend...i wonder why ??
snow report
Chris Brookes, Just checked French Eurosport, can't see the Soelden races listed at any time over the weekend...
ski holidays
Thanks anyway... Sad
ski holidays
Looks like the Canal+ subsidiary Sport+ has got the contract here in France. Which I don't get Sad so Eurosport is left with the cross country stuff. Crying or Very sad
latest report
So someone has got the coverage on it then ?
snow report
Sport+ and the Swiss TSR are showing it live, subscription only satellite channels. Some free view channels like ZDF as stanton mentions, elsewhere. The French are almost as bad as the Brits for coverage, as it happens.
snow report
Just been looking through the BBC Ski Sunday website and although they do have a lot of the latest news and race schedules, but they don't have any news on coverage itself!

This is quite good though....... 25 Years of Ski Sunday
latest report
Such a shame , o well. Sad
ski holidays
Admin - could we do a " sticky " on this so its at the top of the piste and it has an interest that runs for the season?
snow report
Last year Eurosport didn't broadcast any races from Austria - something to do with exclusive licences or whatever. They did broadcast everything else though, as already mentioned. No doubt it will be the same again this year. That means relying on channel 4 for the Austrian races - can't Nick & Conrad exert some influence? A half hour round-up of the week/weekend would be something! We'll probably get a mention on Euronews though.
snow report
I think BBC have a contract for austrian races as well as channel 4, at least last year their ski sunday "season" revolved around austria
ski holidays
From memory what happend last year was that the Austrian equivalent to the BBC called ORF snowHead kept independant rights to the FIS for coverage of the Austrian events, CH4 had negotiated with the FIS supposedly offering more on screen time than the Beeb (they didn't say it would be at 2am! ) The BBC bought their coverage from ORF rather than the FIS, I thought that the contract was up for renewl this year but maybe I'm wrong Confused
ski holidays
OK, so can we start a lottery?

How many times during the forthcoming FIS season will we hear Nick Fellowes saying:

"three tenths of a second......that's an eternity in downhill ski racing"

(.....as we say in ski-speak)

But generally I've got to say that Ch 4 have done a pretty good job of covering WC racing over the last two years (apart from scheduling programmes in the middle of the night). - I especially like the way that they've occasionally roped in some excellent pundits: the long conversation with Ken Read while we were waiting for the Hahnenkamm not to start two years ago was in a different class to Ski Sunday's retrospective coverage the following day (Hazel Irvine conducting some plonker dressed in street shoes and a British Warm up to the starting gate and back again).
snow report
nbt, i think you are right regarding the contract that BBC had to broadcast austrian races last season but have they this season because no other UK channel is showing this weekend opening WC races and you would have thought they would have jumped at it .... Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Acacia,

I had one little gripe with the Nick Fellowes commentary on Channel 4 last season. At the end of each run - almost BEFORE the timing clock stopped - he would announce whether the skier was under or over the leading time...could be a TV editing thingy, where the commentary is too tight to the action. I'm sure in reality it would take some time to look at the race, look at the time, look at the skier's ranking and THEN comment on their position.

Anyway, a small gripe....... Very Happy
snow conditions
Can't say I've noticed that. Even spectators at a race immediately know a racer's position - the electronic clock is running at the finish area for all to see. I've often been in the timer's hut, even at a local race you can see the accumulated time after the two runs flash up the moment the racer crosses the line. You can usually tell a few gates from the end of the race as well - you pick a reference point and check the clock as each goes by that spot - barring catastrophic errors just before the end, that's often a good indicator.
ski holidays
PG,

How dou feel about the possibilty of Gazza stealing your "nom de plume" ? ( Apparently he is considering a makeover which would involve changing his name to PG or G8 or PJG. ) Have you got a copyright on your handle?

Anyway to bring things back on topic - Sweden's Anja Paerson won the opening GS at Sölden this morning. Men's GS tomorrow.
ski holidays
Bad news about Chemmy, 60th out of 60 first run. More on the results in the other thread...

(Just so long as Gazza doesn't take up skiing, reckon we're pretty safe on snowHeads..)
snow conditions
PG, I'm surprised he knows his alphabet! Perhaps he thinks G8 is an alcoholic drink? Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy