Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes 2004 11-18 Dec

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is when I'm going for a week. Staying in Le Lac. Never been Espace Killy before (usually 3V). Have read Tignes piste map a few times, but it doesn't give usefull information like:

What are the snow conditions most likely to be 11 Dec.
Yeah, so early season's always dodgy Yadda yadda foff. I know this. I'm just hoping there are enough Tignes seasonnaires/visitors out there who can provide some USEFUL insight, like:

How much time I'm going to waste in a lift/bus every morning getting from my chalet, in Le Lac, up to the skiable stuff (are the lifts likely to be working from Le Lac ? and will pistes back to Le Lac be open? Or at that time of year does the snow run out at Val Claret, resulting in a bus back down to Le Lac?)

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello Manda,
Welcome to snowHeads
Well if your in Le Lac you are where the main bubble goes up to Toviere so straight up no buses.
To get down you can use the bubble or ski down the black Trolles run which should be open.
Le Lac and Val Claret are the same level'ish but on opposite sides of the lake.
I was there early December last year and plenty of snow right down to resort level.
You should be fine and no buses.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was in Val D lat season week beginning Dec 13th. There was plenty of snow over in Tignes, and we skied to Le Lac for lunch early in the week.
The ski host was saying that normally by that time of year there is loads more snow there, but there was more than enough for us that week. Even if it's worse than last year there is plenty of skiing on the glacier, and Bellevarde area in val which is very quick to reach.
Don't worry will be fine. Have a great one.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only thing to watch out for is that the only run from Toviere down to Le Lac is a black. If you are knackered or not confident on blacks you'll probably want to go to Val Claret and get the bus back anyway. Buses are free, regular and only take about 5 mins from Val Claret to Le Lac anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think Val Claret is about 50m higher than Le Lac, U can ski from Val Claret to Le Lac via one lift ascent. However, when I've been short of time, I've taken the bus which is actually quicker.

"The hunderground funiculaire carry u to icy areas in high mountains"
The glacier is above Val Claret, the funiculaire up goes regularly (every 15mins I think) and takes a few minutes. Up there is obviously where the snow never goes but IMO u would have to be very unlucky not to get snow all the way back to Val C / Le Lac. They have snowMaking facilities on all the major routes so it's not even a huge problem if the snows don't come early: so long as it's fairly cold snowHead

BTW. Welcome to nsowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
phew, that was quick! Thanks for the welcome & your help guys.

Why am I not surprised by U brain's comment re: speed of bus c.f. piste....

Spent a week same time last year wasting each morning driving and taking a lift from Meribel over the hill to the one & only open piste....in Courchevel!! Shoulda coulda woulda gone somewhere snowsure else, but Nooooo. Don't ask. Just take it as read that staying south of ValT in 3V before Xmas is downright stoopid.

So long as Tignes acts like it's actually open by mid-Dec then it's all good! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Manda, The week i mentioned earlier in Val D, i travelled with Mark Warner. Our hotel in Val D was only half full but, a few hours after we got there, all the people who were staying in meribel were re-routed to our chalethotel and the other MW ones in Val D. The reason? Cause there was no snow in Meribel! Like i said YOU WILL BE FINE IN TIGNES.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WooHOOOOO!
Am now happy again about the prospect of a sneaky early season snowtrip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manda, have you checked out the historical snow reports of the SCGB website? You can get a 10 year average of the week you're going - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy