Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altitude effects in Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
I am sure loads of you have done this trip - how did it work out?

The altitudes are approx -
Denver 1500m
Resort 2925m
Top 3765m
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RobertC, this topic's come up before. If altitude sickness is a concern, try the search engine under 'User facilities' (bottom left of pic at top of screen). I've stayed in Breckenridge (which is particularly high) and other Colorado resorts and been OK, but it's a known problem.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, David
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobertC, there is a fair bit of it about in resort - so much so that there's a van in constant circulation around the resort dishing out O2 machines to sufferers.

There's no saying who will suffer - but get in touch with your rep if you feel odd, keep waking in the night etc. and they'll sort you out straight away.

BTW, make sure you drink lots of beer/wine in the first few days - the altitude works wonders with it Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobertC, I did a quick browse through the archives, and couldn't find a colorado-specific one in the first three pages, so:
- Don't go above Vista Haus your first two days.
- Don't go into jump-turn terrain your first day.
- It is not a linear thing. You may be able to XC ski at the resort at a good pace, but you may also collapse wheezing skiing above tree line the next day.

Other than that, what marc gledhill said. Wink snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FYI, low to moderate intensity altitude-related problems are common enough in Breck that most hotels have a pre-printed FAQ sheet kept behind the front desk to hand out to customers that complain.

Comprex's comment about it not being a linear thing is right on the mark. I never had a problem at Breck until 2 visits ago. In fact, on that trip, I was in Denver attending a conference for 4 days before I went up to Breck, yet I still had a problem. Two years later, same conference, same schedule, same health and conditioning (as far as I can tell), and no problem.

FWIW, when I did have the problem, the symptoms (headache, seemingly shallow breathing, interrupted sleep) are never when I am active - they seem to only occur at night, when I am resting.

Tom / PM
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was skiing in Colorado last season. had a bit of a headache on arrival, I just popped a few aspirins. make sure you are well hydrated, best to start with that even before you travel and especially during travel. I found the air in Colorado to be extemely dry (good for the snow, not so good for breathing). The friend I stayed with had a humidifier which helped a lot at night, I also bought a nasal sea water spray. on the plus side b/c of the dry air I never worked up a sweat even on steep climbs.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Physicsman, it does tend to manifest itself when you start to go to sleep. As I understand it, the body starts to prioritise the use of oxygene in a slightly different way in sleep - the large muscle groups and organs start using it to recuperate from the rigors of the day. This means less goes to other areas of the body, including the brain. If you're short of the stuff when this process starts, the brain gets even less than it usually does and so wakes you up to complain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So - drink lots and don't go to sleep.
Thanks everyone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's an Oxygen bar in Breckenridge - you go and plug yourself in for as long as you're willing to pay for, and you chose what optional scent you want your oxygen mixed with, while you relax on their overstuffed sofas and sip your organic smoothie. I don't know if it does any good, but it feels great.
I found one aspect of the altitude was that I felt so sick I couldn't eat for three days. That was a plus for already super-sized me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, I hope you will forgive me if I correct your last post on why Acute Mountain Sickness (ACM) is worse at night.
There are 2 reasons:
1. Compensation for the reduced oxygen in the body (hypoxia) is mainly by increased breathing. This increased respiratory drive is reduced at night so worsening symptoms.
2. There is also a variable amount of edema (fluid leaking out of capillaries into the tissues). In simple ACM this is manifest by puffy eyes (peri-orbital edema), but it can go on to far more dangerous High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) or High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE). The reason for this edema is raised capillary pressure. Sitting or standing upright reduces the capillary pressure in brain and lung (gravity effect) while it is raised in legs resulting in ankle swelling. But when you lie down to go to sleep this effect is reversed and fluid starts leaking out into the lungs (breathless leading to suffocation) and brain (restless leading to coma).

More info from American Academy of Family Physicians
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My experience in Breckenridge was that on first day I was both aggressive and lethargic - On the first day I said to myself I am not going down that slope so there! In the evening not much drink but went to bed very early, and had a raging headache and thirst in the middle of first night. After that I was OK, but agreed altitude problems should be taken seriously and I believe that you can take medication to ameliorate the problem. It's a real pain to go all that way and have valuable time spoilt by altitude sickness, which I believe can be prevented.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, no one here's been perfectly all right all day until they took Chair 6 or the T-Bar, and then unable to fill their lungs after 3 turns? Interesting. Wonder what that says about my efficiency in gullies. snowHead

Jonpim, bigger firmer pillows, then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bigger firmer pillows?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim, I too prefer a (much) more organic shape Laughing but I had this shape more in mind for the ACM/AMS sufferers, on a scale as seen for the wedges here.

So.

Suggested experiment for Breck campers: shove your luggage 'tween mattress and boxspring for easier sleep?
ski holidays
Twice on the first day in Summit County I have had very bad headaches and once I had a very, very bad headache and was sick half way down a run before midday. In each case totally and quickly cured by driving down to Denver.

Now I spend my first day in Denver, second day ski in the mountains and return to Denver that evening, third day fine.
snow report
Jonpim, thanks for that - my dodgy info came from the rep at Breck.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy