Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Fitness, When to start?

Poster: A snowHead
laundryman, yes, I agree with that too - lessons will make it easier for you to ski more economically of effort and in consequence get less tired, or go further, or both, depending on what you want to do.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
docsquid, i think you are being a bit harsh on us Males with a 15% target Laughing i was told that for over 40's if you are under 20% you are doing pretty good.

I am an instructor and at the end of last season i got to 18% and was only a a half stone over my fittest weight in my 20's (i'm 44) I doubt i have ever been at 15% even when i was very fit and playing professional sport
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, well, yes. I think under 20% is good for a bloke, and very difficult to achieve for a laydee!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, I agree technique helps, but it can only take you so far..... My swim technique is pretty dammed good, but without the fitness it won't take me the 3.86km I need. Same goes for skiing. It's ofter the reason older skiiers can still keep up with the youg 'uns, but they'll only keep up for a set period of time before the fitness of the other skiiers tells.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well it's got to be said Whitegold does make me chuckle! I wonder if *any* snowheards have body fat at 15%????
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I think I do.......... in my femur.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, We are not all lardyboys.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
Well it's got to be said Whitegold does make me chuckle! I wonder if *any* snowheards have body fat at 15%????

I do, at least on caliper measurement, but I am pretty thin, really. I'm happier around 20%.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for your welcome and comments. There's such a lot here, I'm not sure where to start, except to say, that I don't think I'll be aiming for 15% body fat!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocoholic, I reckon in skiing it is better to weigh a bit more - helps you go faster, or so I'm reliably told by Mr Docsquid as he munches his way through yet another apple strudel wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm firmly in the "I'll get fit for my skiing holiday this year" camp & I never do!
I know I'm going to really feel it after Saturday's Ski Test.
Any of you got any ideas on how to get fit in 2 days ? wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Any of you got any ideas on how to get fit in 2 days ?

Have another drink so at least you won't feel the pain. Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was 33% body at the start of my fitness regime 10 1/2 months ago, presently it's around the mid twenties according to the unreliable scales. One of my mates who I'm going mountain biking with this weekend is 8% body fat. I wonder who's going to be last up the hills? rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't worry, Kramer, you'll be faster DOWN the hill! Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not if I have my rear brake on, and skid all the way down. wink
snow conditions
Kramer, so that's how you wear them out!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

well i do, 36 years old male,
latest report
Hubby's was measured by someone at the Great North Run. 11% (I think he was joking) . He was asked if he was in the elite athlete category, and if he was planning on running his personal best. rolling eyes He plays squash 3-5 times per week, cycles to and from work, walks the dog twice daily etc, etc. Can't keep the b*gger still for 5 minutes!!!
snow conditions
Blade wrote:
Whitegold, chocoholic began this thread by posting a question:
Quote:

I have looked elsewhere on this forum, and can't see the answer to this. When is the right time to begin fitness training for skiing next winter? No matter how much I seem to do, I always get tired.

You're explanation is totally irrelevant to that particular question. It is too easy these days for anyone who is computer literate to extract scientific facts from the network. In your case, whitegold, you have extracted an obscure text paragraph to post on this thread, solely to sate your own ego and with the interests of choco far from your agenda. I know full well that you cannot substantiate or elaborate on your postings, if you could, you would have by now.
Your postings had no mention of ski specific exercises - in fact they had no mention of exercises, period. As far as getting fit for recreational skiing is concerned, your 15% body fat and six pack belly will be aptly at home in cloud cuckoo land!

You are clutching at straws.

I answered the question directly -- train all year round.

Further, the facts stand.

The lower the bodyfat, the higher the fitness.

Two-nil wink
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

Mine is.

Washboard stomach wink
ski holidays
The tiredness may of course be nothing whatsoever t do with fitness or technique. Could be lack of sleep at altitude, more booze than usual alteration of diet or just being in recovery from pre holiday stresses.
latest report
docsquid wrote:
Whitegold, 15% fat is very difficult to achieve if you are female - this is realistic for a male, but a female would have to be extremely athletic to get this figure - some elite female athletes have body fat around 12%, but this is exceptional, for a female. Also, I've found that body fat scales are pretty error-prone when you are female because the equations from which they derive their measurements are derived from those for males, and then add a fudge factor that basically assumes that almost all weight gain is fat and most weight loss is muscle - this is obviously not the case if you are weight training and building up muscle at the same time as losing weight. You can track your progress, but the absolute figure is very prone to error and I take the readings with a pinch of salt. They are also very prone to error due to hydration status and therefore the reading can vary by 2% or more depending on time of day. I paid over £100 for my scales and I really don't trust them at all - the only way to get accurate readings is by use of calipers (or an MRI scan).

As it happens, my body fat % is 15% measured properly with calipers, and I'm very non-fat for a female. However I would say that for a female, a body fat below 22 to 25 % would be a more realistic goal - in general you need to add 8 to 10% to the male figure for body fat %. For general health and fitness 15% for a male would be very good, as would 25% for a female. I'm probably too thin, I train a lot and eat a phenomenal amount of food because of this. I try to be healthy, but ultimately I need calories!

Docsquid -- Agreed. Women have different targets. Sub-22% is more applicable.

Men with more than 20% fat will almost certainly be fat, flabby, saggy, or all three.

Few, if any, electronic scales available to the general public will be fully accurate. That is a given. But they are close enough to provide a decent guide for the goal one is aiming toward. Some top models will even estimate fat around high-risk areas, like the stomach and major organs.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Some top models will even estimate fat around high-risk areas

Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Elle McPherson, ...
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Men with more than 20% fat will almost certainly be fat, flabby, saggy, or all three.

He's not wrong.
snow conditions
Checked my body fat % today, and it was 21%, down from 35% ten months ago. Very Happy
ski holidays
Kramer, You appear to have checked twice in four days. Isn't this against your own rules?! wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, last time I checked was about a month previous.
snow report
Kramer,
Quote:

I was 33% body at the start of my fitness regime 10 1/2 months ago, presently it's around the mid twenties
posted on the 21st. Perhaps I misunderstood 'presently.' I'm only taking the p*ss, bearing in mind your advice against weighing oneself too often. If I were doing as well as you are, I'd probably be weighing myself every half hour, just to bask in the sheer glory of it!
I think I must have shed some body fat during my week of walking in the Lakes, because everybody is remarking on my weight loss, despite the fact that my scales show much the same weight as before I left. I dunno. Vanity, vanity...(and that's what it is, I'm reasonably fit despite being both podgy and geriatric.)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found the CardioWave machine superb during the winter, because it works the major muscle groups that skiing does. I'm a Pilates instructor anyway, so my core strength didn't need any additional work.

The one thing that surprised me last season was all this talk of how much cardio work people were doing. Ok, maybe I'm not skiing hard enough, but I didn't struggle with the cardio aspect of skiing at all, and I hadn't particularly cranked up my gym work beforehand - maybe I was doing enough anyway? What I was really glad I'd done was get the strength in my legs beforehand - it paid handsome dividends.
snow report
Hurtle, my post on the 21st, referred to where I knew my body fat percentage to be, from the last time I measured it, about a month previously.
latest report
clara_jo wrote:
so my core strength didn't need any additional work.

HERESY!
latest report
comprex, What do you mean? People who do Pilates work on their core strength daily in any event - they don't need suddenly to start doing it before going skiing.
snow report
Hurtle, restating the worn adage 'No such thing as too much core strength' in a more emphatic way.
ski holidays
Just had a review at my gym. They seem to think I'm doing enough CV work. For the rest of the summer, they have given me more weights work, and said they will raise my CV levels back up in the autumn. Suggested that the fatigue may be due to dehydration and suggested I carry an Isotonic drink when skiing.
snow report
sod body fat .. its all about clobber size.. for suits you want your waist and inside leg to be the same at worst.. and your chest size to be 8 to 10 over your waist size..
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
Hurtle, restating the worn adage 'No such thing as too much core strength' in a more emphatic way.

Yes, there is, if it left no time to do "other" strength work.

That's why it's "worn" adage.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Yes, there is, if it left no time to do "other" strength work.

That's why it's "worn" adage.

I question the need for "other" strength work for skiing. See male vs. female skiers thread.
ski holidays
Is quad part of "core" then?
ski holidays
abc, rectus femoralis anyway.
ski holidays
Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy