Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Longest Black Run in the World?

Poster: A snowHead
As everyone in his family, School or general vicinity knows now, the crowning acheivement of the Chief Smilie Maker's last Winter season was the completion of 'The second longest black run in the world', the Sache in Tignes.

However, not being one to rest on his laurels, he is now asking "Where's the longest black run in the world Dad?". I have a creeping feeling that the answer to this question may end up having some influence on our holiday plans this Winter rolling eyes

So, who knows?
We don't need off piste routes or greatest altitude drop or anything yet (interesting though that data all is). Simply, "What is the longest BlackPiste?"
In fact, maybe we can get a top 5 here?

1)
2) La Sache - Tignes
3)
4)
5)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the Sarenne in Alpe d'Huez gets in there somewhere - 17km I think. Actually, I probably made that up. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always thought the Sarene- Alpe d'Huez, which runs from the Pic Blanc (3,300m) down to about 1,600m was the longest in the Alps. Although I'm not convinced it's a black throughout its length, which from memory is about 16kms. I would certainly nominate the Aiguille Rouge for inclusion in the list. Two of my favourites are the runs from the top of the Grand Montets in Argentiere, 5 & 7 kms respectively, depending whether you go to the back or the front of the mountain and blacks all the way. For an off-piste intinery definitely the Ruitor Glacier, over 20 kms, maybe this is the year I'll ski it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think there's an article which includes this info in this month's Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard magazine ? I'll take a look tonight......
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alan empty, I think you are right altho' most of it is reddish in terms of steepness I was told. It's given black status just because of the length (to put off less able people who might get too tired half way down). Googling will find a thread on this topic on Natives - but I won't spoil things by linking.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As above, the Sarenne is always quoted, but think about it: a black run is only as good as the sustained pitch. If the black run comprises 10km, 8km of which is red or blue with a couple of steep sections to require the grading, what kind of black run is that? I'm not convinced that the Sarenne is that great (though I've not skied it).

I'd nominate the front face of the Aiguille Rouge for difficulty, though the long black to Villaroger is just an outstanding piste (the best I know), with plenty of steepish stuff and sooooo long.

The main runs of La Grave, unmarked but certainly black in quality, are epic tests of skiing.

The toughest black in St Anton - the Schindlergrat - has been regraded from black to yellow.

The toughest black in Zermatt - the Stockhorn - has also been regraded.

The toughest black for stamina, as I recall, comprises the serial bump runs above Vail, which are really high altitude and exhausting.

In conclusion, I'd take him down the Aiguille Rouge-Villaroger. Fabulous fun for a father and son contest, with a lovely terrace cafe near the bottom as a reward. If it isn't the longest black in the world, it must be very close - 2000m vertical, after all.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-10-04 15:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have skied the Sarenne and it's not that difficult. The gradient varies a lot and much of it is fairly easy stuff. But it is a black run.

David - which one is the Schindlergrat?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a mountain with a big skiing face that stands in front of the higher Valluga. It's not a massive vertical, but it's a good tough run for your money, usually quite mogulled.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DG, you're right it's a great run, it's also a super bit of off-piste if you duck under the barrier at the top. I feel I'm with you on the Aiguille Rouge.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 5-10-04 15:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks David, I think I know where you mean. It's got some good off-piste off to the sides if I'm thinking of the right place.

Anyway, people, we're veering off topic - enough of the quality, more of the quantity! What are the longest 5 black runs? Do we have a length for La Sache yet?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've skied the Sarenne several times and had good snow, bad snow and ice and it's quite a beast of a run. Obviously it's not black run steepness for all of it as you can't have a long black run without almost infinite altitude difference! The top sections are black run difficulty and there are a few short hard sections on the way down. I read a description in one of the ski guide books that described it as a run of two halves with the top half definitely black but the bottom where a good half of the length is a blue/green road. I've always found it hard but nowhere near as hard as le Tunnel (which is quite long ~3km as well but b*****y steep for most of it).

I've always cynically wondered if Alpe'd have never put too many lifts on this run as if they had lifts over the first couple of ks they would have to regrade the bottom and no longer have the longest black run in the alpes.......

How long is the Combe de Caron in Val Thorens. I remember this being a long run with a constantly steep gradiant but very enjojable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It seems to be difficult to get information from the Tignes website but I don't think La Sache is longer than the Aiguille Rouge, which the Ski Club website quotes as 7kms with a 2km vertical descent. That makes it a serious black in my view with an average vertical of 28%. I'm intrigued by this, I'm now of to the Chamonix website to check out the Grands Montets, damm there goes the afternoon's work.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 5-10-04 16:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
However, the Paradiski piste map only marks the top half of Aiguille Rouge as black and has it as red from the top of the lifts up from Villaroger. Not that I've skied it (yet snowHead ).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
U, I think you've got to rate the Sarenne as no 1, with the Aiguille Rouge as no 2, I don't think La Sache is as long as the blacks from the top of Grands Montets, Pointe de Vue and Pylones, but it has been a long time since I skied them. Anyone else got any values for length/steepness.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The bottom half of the Sarenne is a green rather than a blue, meandering , along a scenic gorge. However my book calls it the longest black at 16km.
Also at Alpe d'Huez, but an easy run as far as I remember, the top of the Pic Blanc to L'Envirsin d'Oz is claimed to be the longest Alpine piste and with a vertical of 2,330m (not sure how long)!

I agree about the Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger run at Les Arcs. Though much of the top half is more like a red it has the most black and near-black kms I can think of (and though you said you didn't want it, has the greatest vertical of any black).Les Arcs is usually thought of as an intermediate resort but has many more blacks than Val d'Isere. However many of them are off the top of the Aiguille Rouge cablecar which is sometimes closed by bad weather.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

The toughest black in St Anton - the Schindlergrat - has been regraded from black to yellow.

I've never heard of a yellow. I presume it's tougher than black? Could you elaborate please.
ski holidays
Yellow usually indicates an off-piste intinery.
ski holidays
www.chezjayski.com

Cant do the links!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-10-04 17:55; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Several of the toughest runs were regraded as off-piste itineries to protect the resort from insurance claims since they were often left to grow bump fields rather than being smoothed every day.. They actually remain much the same
snow report
hibernia wrote:
www.chezjayski.com

Cant do the links!

Its Villaroger in Les Arc
ski holidays
Oh, so Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger is now claimed also to be the longest Black in the world (16km they say). Well, perhaps thats your answer.
ski holidays
Are they marked yellow because you pee yourself on the way down Wink

What are the brown runs like?
ski holidays
DB Very Happy Very Happy

The brown runs are like s**t because you s**t yourself when you see them!

snowHead
latest report
DB, try and avoid the face-plants on them because you should never eat the yellow snow.
snow report
snowball wrote:

Also at Alpe d'Huez, but an easy run as far as I remember, the top of the Pic Blanc to L'Envirsin d'Oz is claimed to be the longest Alpine piste and with a vertical of 2,330m (not sure how long)!

I never did this but the top section of this is the Tunnel, then it follows a nice easy red to vaujany before turning off on a black (never open when I've been there). Not sure that you could describe the tunnel as easy!
ski holidays
David@traxvax wrote:
U, I think you've got to rate the Sarenne as no 1, with the Aiguille Rouge as no 2, I don't think La Sache is as long as the blacks from the top of Grands Montets, Pointe de Vue and Pylones, but it has been a long time since I skied them. Anyone else got any values for length/steepness.

I'll guess that's in the Vamos guide, they're itineraries anyway, so do they count? There are some massively long itineraries around.
latest report
I believe U was refering to pistes, the longest off-piste itinery I know is the Ruitor glacier which is 20kms, the Vallee Blanche is usually said to be 18kms but most of that is just about a blue. My take on this is:
1. Sarenne - Alpe d'Heuz
2. Aiguille Rouge - Les Arcs
3. Point de vue - Grands Montets
4. La Sache - Tignes
5. Pylones - Grands Montets
latest report
David@traxvax, eh ? In that case Point de vue and Pylones are itineraries not pistes, actually, Pylones isn't very long either. Sache was an itinerary as well a few years back and better for it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, I think, though I'm no means certain that the longest off piste itinery would be down the Aletsch Glacier as I seem to recall that it's the longest Glacier in Europe Iit certainly used to be), add on the winter snow at the tail end and I think at one time it was possible to ski something like 25km, this does go back a few decades though to when my father used to ski it, in those days you took the first train up to Jungfraujoch in the morning and got back on more or less the last train at night, these days people use helicopters so a lot less journey time
ski holidays
ise, both are marked as pistes on the Chamonix piste map and go from the top of Grands Montets at 3300m to Lognan at 2000m, from memory one was 5kms long and the other 7kms, but it's been a long time since I've skied them.
snow conditions
skanky, The Villaroger run is red if you follow the road, but remains black if you follow straight down the fall line between hairpins. Usually lovely snow and good shaped moguls, opening out to a broader snowfield lower down. Finish with lunch at La Ferme, or back up and over to Beliou la Fumee just below 1950 if you want a black run menu too.
snow report
Surely the only colour that matters is white ?
snow conditions
Chris Reed wrote:
snowball wrote:

I never did this but the top section of this is the Tunnel, then it follows a nice easy red to vaujany before turning off on a black (never open when I've been there). Not sure that you could describe the tunnel as easy!
I think I've muddled which it was, but I read the info about the longest run recently.
All my visits to A d'H over the last 15 years have been off piste (days out from La Grave)
snow report
ski wrote:
Surely the only colour that matters is white ?

Surely the only couloir that matters is white ? Very Happy
snow report
Martin Nicholas, thanks. I'll be skiing it for the first time in January. snowHead
ski holidays
snowball wrote:

This is called the Champagne Run....It's the longest vertical you can do on piste but it's not all one piste so it's black at the top, red then blue in the middle and black again at the bottom. I've done it but not all in one go as my legs wouldn't take it!!
latest report
There are only two runs that go west from the top (as far as I know) and thats the Pyramid and the Couloir des Impossibles which if you can take it, go all the way down to Vaujany and are pretty bloody hairy as their names suggest!!! (And they are off-piste runs).

Have to confess I've not heard of the 'Champagne Run' and I think its fair to say that nothing from 3,300 can be described as 'easy'!!! Puzzled
ski holidays
sarah@alpedhuez, the top of the Breithorn in Zermatt can. Very Happy
latest report
Thanks Shanky - I thought we were still talking about ADH re: quote!! Razz Embarassed
latest report
sarah@alpedhuez, yeah, sorry was just being facetiously pedantic (or was it pedantically facetious?).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy