Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New climate change theory - did something dramatic happen 5200 years ago?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The discovery of a bed of plants frozen under a Peruvian glacier is prompting a new theory about climate change: that a sudden and dramatic cooling occurred 5200 years ago.
"Something happened back at this time and it was monumental," says Prof Thompson of Ohio State, who presented evidence at this week's annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union. He suggests the climate shift 5,200 years ago was global.
However, a link is then drawn to the 'entrapment' of Oetzi, the man whose frozen body was found on an Austrian glacier.
This seems quite incorrect, since Oetzi was not (according to the most recent evidence I've seen) trapped by the ice, but was killed by an arrow!
Anyway, here is a report from FT.com.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-12-04 9:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting. He should check his bible, wasn't the great flood about 5,000 years ago, give or take? Apparently the Med used to be a dried up lake bed below sea-level. The dam between Gibraltar and Africa broke and the lake flooded over a period of several months.

There is also a theory about the great lakes area flooding into the northern atlantic which stopped the North Atlantic conveyor causing freezing in Europe.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How fascinating.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As I understand it, and I only have a vague understanding of these things, dramatic climate change caused by catastrophic/monumental events is not uncommon when viewed over a long enough time frame.

They can be set off by impacting bodies (comets and the like) or volcanic eruptions on a massive scale (I forget the correct term, but they make the Mount St Helens eruption look puny).

I'm sure that other snowHeads can provide better information.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
(I forget the correct term, but they make the Mount St Helens eruption look puny).

Ultra-plinian. Named after Pliny the Younger, a Roman Senator who described the eruption of Vesuvius that destroyed Pompei.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone interested in the Pliny link might enjoy Robert Harris's novel about and called Pompei... It's a great read.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, and very recently there have been claims of the discovery man-made structures under the sea off Cyprus. The finders say this is evidence of the location of Atlantis. See this site for more info.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DavidS, I agree - couldn't put it down!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy