Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mixed Ability Group - Where to go??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm organising a weeks ski trip with the following criteria and would love to hear your suggestions!

Group: 10-15 persons
Ability: Beginner through Expert
When: End Jan Early Feb
Nightlife: Lots please!
Accomodation: preferably catered chalet
Misc: prefer car free, excellent snow records, good off piste

Appreciate your help!

Alex
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
weirdonorskie, welcome to snowHeads!
I'd suggest Val d'Isere, if you're wanting to stick to Europe.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the welcoming!
Personally I would go back to Canad (spent a season in Whistler two years ago), but I think most people are worried about the cost and flying.

I hear VDI is pretty expensive as is Courchevel and Zermatt, but what sort of price would you be looking at in terms of bars etc?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
weirdonorskie, Hi & welcome, you could look at La Rosiere, our chalet is the le Mouflon, featured in snow-shops. I'm sure La Ros will meet all your criteria, you can see some reviews on www.ski-club.co.uk or www.ifyouski.com It has an excellent snow record and some terrific off-piste including the best value heli-skiing in Europe and the apres-ski isn't too shabby either. We also give snowheads a dscount, you can check out our package on www.tracksvacations.com
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I live in Alpe d'Huez and really trying to maintain a degree of 'un-bais', ADH is really a great resort for all abilities, from 16km runs, vertical mogal fields, to gentle tree-lined slopes and large moterway pistes. The non-skiing activities are endless, with the best outdoor pool in the world (with perhaps the exception of Tahiti - perhaps!), paragliding, skidooing etc etc...Apres-ski offers lots of 'opportunities'!!! Without it being 'neon-city'! I've been here for 8 years and OK it isn' the prettiest resort in the world but certainly not in the same catagory as Flaine (!!) If possible I'd aim for the last week in Jan (29-05) otherwise you'll be hit by the school holidays. Aside from the big tour operators, there are private chalets here, ranging from 250euros based on 12 sharing. If you want any more info please do contact me www.mountain-logistics.net there is a good round-up of the resort and further details. Razz
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
st anton seems to fit your bill. expansive skiing for everyone (plus great off piste), lots of places to meet up on the hill, good snow record, great apres ski atmosphere and nightlife. your friends will love it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
weirdonorskie, can't resist it any longer. In addition to your initial criteria, you also don't want a long journey nor a radical walletectomy. There is of course only one place: La Plagne. And the best bit of La Plagne is Belle Plagne. I will be there at the end of January.
Excellent for mixed ability groups and families. It is car-free. Good snow record. Lots of superb off-piste, both within the resort area for off-piste beginners, and Real Off-Piste (up to the top of the mountain, and over into the back-of-beyond) for the experts.
Many on this forum have criticised the night-life. If you want your night-life all ready made then maybe not for you, but of you like your nightlife raucous, loud and fun, then you'll get all you need.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
weirdonorskie, I'd second sarah@alpedhuez vote for Alpe D'Huez - even if she might be a bit biased. Great resort for mixed abilities and nightlife.

You might also like to think about Les Deux Alpes which is good for mixed groups, especially as beginners can get right to the top of the mountain to experience the real thrill of the mountains. We go away with a similar sort of group each year and we all had a good time there.

Take a look at this thread where I got lots of useful advice!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpe D - great variety of ski-ing, not bad apres for France - tough to beat for a mixed group.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure about Les Deux Alpes - the resort runs are tricky for beginners, and for a big(ish) area I would say it gets too congested because of the geography of the area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
weirdonorskie, Yes, try Les Deux Alpes!sarah@alpedhuez, I can see you're trying to be a little unbiased - why bother? I am unashamed to say I think we have the best resort around - you should do the same!
Young Billy, If you can ski from 3,600m to 2,200m there's no problem coming down in the lifts. I agree that the last bit down is difficult (black, and seriously black on the whole), but there are some lovely lifts down. Personally I never ski the combe Valentin after 15.30 as I consider it too dangerous (all the idiots who really can't ski, insisting on ski-ing that last bit). However, personally I favour the Belle Etoile chairlift, never any queues, lovely views towards the setting sun, comfy cushions ................
weirdonorskie, the night life in LDA is extrmely lively and varied, look at my website for some info (Resort Information page). Look also at the LDA Tourist Office website, which is quite informative, apart from being a bit too "Flash" for my liking.
I agree that Alpe d'Huez is great for a mixed group, and if it's cold and the snow's good then the off piste there is pretty awesome. If not, being largely south facing it can get quite heavy. We're on the other side of the valley and mostly north facing. You can ski La Grave (the experts in your party) from both resorts, but would need a taxi from AdH. There is a link from LDA (not always open early in the season, but should be by the end of Jan), otherwise a taxi is also the answer.

Anyone who wants detailed (biased of course) information about LDA can send me a pm or email me privately. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy