Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often and how do you service your skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Usually I have my skis edged and waxed before I leave the UK and then never look at them again until I get back.

How often during a 14 day trip should I service my skis?

Do cold application waxes and sprays work? (Ill leave hot waxing for the wifes legs)

How do you sharpen the edges?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends where/what I'm skiing. If it's icy, I'll do the edges every couple of days. If it's champagne powder all the way, they might not get touched for a week.
Bases will get proper wax maybe every 3-4 days, and depending on conditions, may get topped up with liquid wax every day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've always just got a full service once a week unless racing then just before the race but for general use i think once a week is about right although i know alot of people who dont bother at all once they've left the UK
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends how many rocks I've skied over or how icy it is but generally once per week of skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oops yes of course if you've hit alot of rocks they need servicing more often. or just dont ski through the car park Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Russell,

It depends what you are doing with the skis, and on the snow you are doing it on.

If I'm touring/off piste skiing, then I'll do them at the start of the week, and then just leave them, because a) skins don't stick to wax, and b) don't want sharp edges in soft snow.

For resort skiing etc, then I'll use a stone to take any burrs of the edges DAILY, and then wax when the bases need it, or weekly, whichever is sooner.

It's really easy to do all this yourself, and with a service costing £25, you'll quickly recoup the cost of the required equipment.

I'd also suggest that you'll save money by having the skis done in resort, tends to be cheaper than here in the UK.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not a racer, thus the edges are made once a year, regardless of snow conditions.

Wax, a proper one, once a year too. Then a quick one every now and then.
Remember, it's the indian, not the arrow!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should the same be done for Blades? I've used mine for a total of 3 weeks sinece i bought them.

Should i get them done properly at my local ski shop before i go? and what price would be acceptable?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
no_snow_in_swindon, I find that blades/miniskis require more service than regular skis, certainly more waxing especially within 1cm of the edges.

In one of the other "tuning" threads, I spoke of all of the ones I received from the respective factories (except Line!) having uneven bases, mostly base high. You can check this very easily by placing a ruler on edge against the bases and checking for gaps where the light would shine through.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, Many thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy