Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Er, I'm being forced to visit Val D'espair next season......

Poster: A snowHead
So, here I am with my tail planted firmly between my legs in admitting a proposed visit to a 'cash cow' of a ski resort. However, you'll appreciate that I am basically being coerced into this by a group of 'friends' who are keener on the nightlife than the skiing.

What's more, I am being sentenced here for two weeks over the Easter break in 2005. Can you think of anything worse? Still, it isn't Tignes, is it?

To add insult to injury, they want me to organise a nice hotel. So can anyone recommend a good 'un (not the Tsantelina) that isn't full of Brits, louts, drunks and next to or on top of a nightclub?

Direct access to the slopes isn't vital-I'm looking to put us somewhere that's tranquil (ie not next to the Dreaded Dickies bar).

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 28-09-04 12:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Direct access to the slopes isn't vital-I'm looking to put us somewhere that's tranquil"......

kevin mcclean, Anywhere except Val D'isere will probably fit the bill!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter-yes, I agree with you entirely but this is being forced upon me so how about anywhere that's 'relatively tranquil'?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry Kevin, but I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the resort, so I can't offer any useful suggestions. I'm sure somebody will be along soon who can.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Any suggestions?

Pitch a tent? Wink Borrow a rainbow-coloured van from Greenpeace and kip in the carpark? Vive la différence....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kevin. Why not phone John Yates-Smith at YSE. He's the brother of the aforementioned Dick's and knows every inch of the resort. I'm sure he'd help, even if you don't buy a package from him.

If I was in your shoes I'd stay in the old town because it has character. Don't know the names of the hotels there, but some look v. good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We could kip in the under-visited Church-how about that?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No problem, and a good place to pray for snow. They take online bookings
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevin mcclean, I'm sure no one would object if you tried sleeping in the church of the old village of Tignes Les Brevières (also known as the 3 second village).... but I hear it's a bit damp Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, it would be - it's under several hundred feet of water.....errrr, oh no, that's Tignes Sous l'Eau (or is it Tignes Sous-Marin?).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One and the same. Wouldn't sleep too well in the '3 second village' just beneath the dam, either, personally...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try the Brussels - not too pricy but good food and very convenient.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it is any help - I keep going back to the same hotel which I cant remember the name of which isnt very nice but is very conveniant. Auberge something or other I think. Of course if you want tranquil then you'll want... CHALET DU LAC which is in Villaret du Nial. Two benfits - 1) miles from noisy bars and 2) you wont be asked to organise accomodation again.

Minor downside is that it is also miles from the piste...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark Lehto, Why do you keep going back to a hotel which isn't very nice? Val is a big place. Try another convenient one. Go on, live a little rolling eyes
snow conditions
 brian
brian
kevin mcclean,

I stayed at La Galise last year. It's fairly quiet and good value B&B (it doesn't have a restaurant) and very centrally placed. What's more the clientele were mainly French although I think there were a few from one of the UK tour ops (Inghams?).

www.lagalise.com
snow report
maggi well largely cos my mate knows their number. Planning usually involves ringing them up on the drive down from Geneva... which explains why I have stayed in Chalet du Lac before.
snow conditions
Mark Lehto, numbers? take your pick!!.........
ski holidays
Kevin, That's a "homogenized cash cow of a ski resort" to you........Oh how I laughed when I read the post title. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ah, I can picture it now.........The misery Sad ........The shame Embarassed ........ KM has to SHARE moguls with mere mortals and watch as they pat themselves on the back when the "complete" a black run. Then off for a quiet drink and bite to eat with the sounds of "une bee-yur and une pullett and freet, seeeeez voooooos plays!" ringing in the ears. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Can I come, can I, can I, oh please!!!!!!!
ski holidays
kevin mcclean, hi, stayed at the Kandahar last season. Try for a special deal through tourist office on the web. Close to everything. 5 mins walking to lifts. A really nice hotel, good food, good atmosphere but probably not very cheap at Easter. Like elsewhere in the resort, expensive to eat. Great free bus service to extremities of area.
latest report
Thanks everyone. I have contacted the Lavancher directly who seem to offer a reasonable deal. Anyone been there before? Boardski, yes I have shot myself in the foot somewhat, haven't I?
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing kevin mcclean, Val D'espair today, Trois Vallee tomorrow. How will you ever live it down Wink
snow conditions
kevin mcclean, how about a chalet apartment? I think you islanders call them self-catered??? Cheaper & calmer than most hotels. Otherwise compare bookings through Tourist Office as they may offer better overall deal, with discounts on equipment rentals and lift tix.

Speaking as one who has done Val d'Isere two Easters in a row (2003-2004), I can attest it's ... overrun with hordes of Brits, indeed. And I unfortunately found that the Brits don't get friendlier with each glass. Unlike we Yanks. Toofy Grin
snow report
Kevin, have you though about a chalet that you can take over with your doubtless oh-so-sophisticated friends? I'm not a "chalet person" at all but I stayed at one of VIP's (Val d'Isere Independent Properties - don't be too put off by the name) for the last week of the season. It was a luxury, fully-catered place which wasn't cheap, but was good value. They have several and I stayed at the Farmhouse which, although next to the Church, was very quiet on account of 3-foot-thick walls, and really rated for charm etc. The food was excellent and it was staffed by a very sensible couple who weren't only there for the beer, even brought us tea in bed in the morning etc. It's the only way I could bear to do a chalet holiday - but might be expensive over Easter. But you can save by arranging your own travel.
snow conditions
We stayed in the Mercure (www.mercurevaldisere.com) which wa snot only decent (and quiet) but also right next to the bottom of the slopes. It's a chain so might not be to everyone's liking, but the staff were very nice and a good laugh.

Otherwise, I'd reccommend checking which hotels the package companies go to and find a different one (if you want to avoid the Brits).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy