Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first ski trip to europe

Poster: A snowHead
i live in the US and am planning a ski trip to somewhere in europe this march with my husband and 2 teens. we are all intermediate-advanced skiers. my husband and i would enjoy extra activites (snow mobiling, cross-country), my 16 year old daughter would like going out around the town and meeting other people her age, and my 14 year old son would enjoy indoor swimming and culture. are there any good places that you can recommend for all of us? thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead snowHeads rachsnow012 snowHead

The culture requirement might be a bit tricky - eg in places like Tignes I've gone ten pin bowling and played pool but no Shakespeare or classical concerts I'm afraid. However, I'm sure someone here will have some good ideas Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hes not really into that kind of culture. more language and food!! thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not try Austria, very friendly people, safe for youngsters, good facilities, including non ski-ing activities, good english spoken by almost everyone - try http://www.austria-tourism.at/ or http://www.tyrol.com/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alternatively Switzerland, for some reason I have found that the German speaking part also tends to have more English speaking people, but every hotel I've been into there (and I've been in a heck of a lot) has had at least some english speaking staff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rachsnow012, Welcome. La Plagne in Savoie (France) would meet most of your requirements. Indoor / Outdoor pool in Bellecote opens late afternoon. Ice skating in Bellecote. Bowling in Belle Plagne (and maybe also other villages - I'm not sure). Snowmobile excursions in the evenings. Olympic Bobsleigh run nearby with a bathtub-like bob for safe public use. Or the real thing as a passenger with a driver. Great scope for intermediates and cross country skiing. Linked with Les Arcs if you need more advanced scope. But it's not renowned for nite life and I'm not sure your daughter would find a suitable place to meet teens ? The board is more lively during the week - I'm sure more will pitch in with suggestions.

Since you're new here, may I draw your attention to snowBase (RHS under the mountain view). In there are links to the official web sites of > 1000 resorts. Wherever you go, I hope you all enjoy your 1st trip to European for skiiing..

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 27-09-04 9:26; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi rachsnow012, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead !

I've just posted under "Trips" a suggestion for a teen from across the Pond, and think this resort could suit you too, so here it is, virtually the same post, but to save you trying to find it as a 'newbie' here....
Quote:

Les 2 Alpes isn't often put forward as a suggestion here, but it's one of my favourites, and it's got pretty much everything for first time visitors to France.

It's a big resort, with a sizeable expat English-speaking community if your French isn't up to the task! It's not as expensive, or 'stuck up', as some of the classical Savoie resorts further north. One of the friendliest places I know. For anyone after a bit of culture, it's a mix of new and old - the far end of the resort is a real 'village', with some great restaurants. Mixed in with that is as much night life as you can handle.

As for the ski area, not the biggest but plenty to do with around 140 miles of groomed runs, plenty of varied terrain, 7,000 feet of vertical, and a glacier. One of the best snowparks around, including a great skier/boardercross.

I've had a fantastic time each visit. Ideal for families with younger kids too, there's so much to do away from the slopes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi rachsnow012,

If you have only skied in America before, you may find the set up in Europe a bit different. Most people in Europe stay in chalets, many of which are large enough to put up many families at a time. In Chalets, they tend to give you breakfast and an evening meal. This means that the resorts have fewer restaurants than their American equivalents.

Just a warning.

Personally I've only stayed in apartments when skiing in France. The others may be able to fill you in a little better than me if you want to learn a little more about the different accommodation types in Austria etc.

I can vouch for the scenery in the Val d'Isere (Espace Killy) and Meribel/Courchevel (The Three Valleys) ski areas in France being amazing (and vast). snowHead

http://www.valdisere.com/
http://www.courchevel.com/hiver/uk/news.html

S
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowy, don't write off hotels. They're well up there in terms of resort bed nights. Other differences - much more ski-in / ski-out in the higher purpose built resorts. Less cars and ski buses. But in traditional resorts in Austria or Switzerland, you could be living in a lower village with a cable car up to the snow line. Generally, much of the skiing in Europe is above the tree line (approx 2000m, say 6,600 ft). Good idea Snowy, to suggest more really big interlinked resorts. Coming all that way, the Rachsnows may as well go for broke. Don't forget jet lag - the consensus is that it is worse travelling east so combined with the effects of altitude you might not feel too good for the first couple of days. Stay for more than one week to make the most of the trip.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 27-09-04 13:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd recommend Kitzbuhel for scenery (both town and skiing scenery), nightlife for both young and older people and their huge sports and aqua centre. The only thing lacking is challenging skiing which is limited to a few runs for advanced skiers whilst the rest is intermediate, although the area is well linked so you can put some miles in every day. Go in February as the resort isn't that high but it should be fine peak season for snow. Try and avoid mid Feb. as its half term. You are also only an hour away from Salzburg and it would be easy to hire a car and visit other resorts in the area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you're travelling across from the US I would recommend you go for one of the major ski domains like the Trois Vallees (Courchevel, Meribel or Val Thorens), Espace Killy (Tignes or Val d'Isere) or Paradiski (Les Arcs or La Plagne). All these offer mile upon mile of intermediate pistes and lots of steep or off-piste skiing. These domains dwarf the ski areas in the US, and whenever I've met Americans they are all pretty much bowled over by the size and scope of what's available. All of those resorts offer non-ski activities, including those you listed, and all have a large number of English-speaking visitors for your children to meet up with. One word of caution though, none of these resorts offer pretty Alpine-charm villages so if that's important you should head elsewhere.

Of the resorts I've listed my favourite is Courchevel - part of the Trois Vallees domain, offering wonderful ski opportunities, a good number of high quality restaurants if you want to indulge your gourmet tendancies, a range of non-ski activities and a good leisure facility with bowling, skating, indoor climbing wall/rope circuit and games arcade which your children might enjoy. More info on the resort at www.courchevel.com

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or just up the road from Les 2 Alpes, you could try Alpe d'Huez. It has an excellent sports centre, including indoor pool, climbing wall, table tennis, and it also has an outdoor heated pool (which is fab) and an ice-rink.

All of these activities are free with your lift pass (although there is a small charge to hire ice-skates). You do also get free admission to the music recitals each week with your lift pass.

English is spoken is almost all of the restaurants and bars, but it doesn't have the pretentiousness of other resorts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Courchevel has an airstrip if you're using your own private plane Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Arcs has a heliservice that will collect you from Geneva on request! NehNeh
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kuwait_ian, I would say that Courchevel has an airPORT whereas Tignes and Meribel each have an airSTRIP Wink

Regards

Rob
snow report
PG, presumbably the Les Arcs heliservice will collect you from Geneva on payment rather than just request Wink

Regards

Rob
snow report
A great place ofr families is Galtuer, they even have now (after the famed avalanche) built a swimming pool centre with a small waterpark (just to tubes in fact)
The proximity to Ischgl (what I equate to an open air Disco) can offer diversitty...

www.galtuer.com

So, it all boils down to what you prefer (based on guts feeling, of course,)German speaking populated Alps, French speaking, or Italian speaking? Without letting go of Slowenia and Switzerland
latest report
I'm suprised no-one has mentioned Chamonix - a year round community, stunning scenery and non ski culture,and a good March snow record. Zermatt is also a year round destination with good Easter snow record and somewhere everyone must ski before they die. I would always direct you there rather than the French purpose built resorts like 2Alpes, La Plagne, Alpe d'Huez - which are fine destinations, but would anyone cross the atlantic for them for an all-round trip?
snow report
Have you considered a two center holiday? I think you would want to visit something big and famous (Val D'Isere for instance) and then maybe try something a little more erm... local? quaint?
So you could do Chamonix followed by somewhere in the Portes De Soleil?
Val followed by ?

OK come to think of it I am struggling to get some nice links without too much travelling. But there are a lot of snowheads out there who know the Alps better than me!
latest report
Mark Lehto, good idea. Zermatt and Champery, Chamonix and Courmayeur or Morzine (a bit dodgy in March), Val and erm - well Val is in a valley of purpose built resorts so unless you went to Courchevel Le Praz which is a bit quiet at night. Cortina and Venice - now that is tempting!
snow report
Martin Nicholas,
Quote:

Val is in a valley of purpose built resorts
- the solution is a base in the valley proper, ie Bourg St Maurice, a traditional Savoie town Wink , then visit all the surrounding resorts that are within a 30 minute drive.

Where else in the world have you got 1,000 miles of groomed pistes less than half an hour away? Nowhere!
ski holidays
PG, can you suggest anywhere to stay in Bourg?? Wink Wink
ski holidays
snow report
kuwait_ian wrote:
Don't forget jet lag - the consensus is that it is worse travelling east so combined with the effects of altitude you might not feel too good for the first couple of days.

You're forgetting Kuwait Ian - standing at the top of a mountain in the cool air and sunshine is the best hangover/jet lag cure ever. Very Happy Pinky

(I admit getting to the top of the mountain in a bubble with guys that have drunk too much the night before can be a little unpleasant though!) Laughing Laughing
snow report
For a skiing experience almost totally unlike the USA I'd say go for Austria or Switzerland.

Dropping into a little wooden hut and being served by a yodelling guy in traditional dress (How do you spell lederhosen?) will be something to tell people back in Hometown USA and be a definite cultural experience.

For the ultimate ski experience I'd say Trois Vallees.
snow report
A lot of what's been suggested are all very good and I wouldn't argue against them. However I'll just through a few more into the thread for the sake of it:

Saalbach in Austria could fit the bill (esp. going via Salzberg).
The Valle d'Aosta has a large number of resorts all closeish together.
The Graubunden area of Switzerland has a number of resorts that could fit the bill (less Engliah spoken, but you wouldn't have to become fluent speakers).
snow conditions
PG wrote:

I hope you remember where it is before January Shocked
ski holidays
rachsnow012, a few years back I was in a similar situation. I'm an American and wanted to ski in Europe, and while I can't see you going wrong in any of the resorts recommended above, my suggestion would be for either Val D'Isere or Zermatt. Both are high resorts and you can count on snow at least somewhere in both of these resorts. Val D'Isere is less expensive than Zermatt, and the skiing and food are top quality, but Zermatt has more ambience and no cars. Skiing is comparable at both places. For all the right reasons Americans seem to flock to Zermatt, and I've never heard anyone say they did not have a good time there. I would recommend staying in a hotel, but then again it was just me and my wife. We stayed in the Zermatterhof, which was pricey but first rate, but I doubt you'd find a bad hotel in town.

As to Val D'Isere, it has more nightlife which your daughter would appreciate, it isn't as expensive, the food is terrific, and the crowd tends to be younger. A trip to Val D'Isere isn't complete without a night in Dick's T-Bar.

In both resorts, English isn't a problem.

Good luck,
John Cacavas
Los Angeles
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky, is a great area, but not the best English speakers, some of the Monte Rosa resorts and Pila are quiet on th nightlife front.
JohnnyC, Zermatt has a rather opulent nightlife, but its there if you want it
snow conditions
JohnnyC, would you let your 16 year old daughter out in Val on her own? brave man if you would!

Id head for Kitzbuhel
latest report
I'd go along with JohnnyC; if something less formal and pricey than the Zermatterhoff would appeal, I can recommend the Hotel Perren.
Not sure about Nadenoodlee's comment re Val D'Isere - never had a daughter Very Happy
snow conditions
Nick Zotov, I have...oh, I see what you mean, sorry.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy