Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR (with pics) - Traverse of Grandes Rousses 29 March 2007

Poster: A snowHead
I always chuckle to myself when people slag off the skiing at Alpe d'Huez. It really is a place where you get out what you put in. Have the wherewithal to duck the ropes from the top of Pic Blanc or do a bit of traversing off the Sarenne, and you get some very good and uncrowded off piste. Walk for 20 minutes and you get some seriously good and absolutely empty stuff. A bit more work and you get what we got last week...

It all starts at the top of the Pic Blanc tram. This sets lots of ambitious intermediates off on the longest (and possibly flattest) black run in Europe. It also gives access to huge amounts of little skied off piste skiing:

looking back at the Pic Blanc tram

From here we ducked the ropes and headed across the top of the Grand Sablat glacier and up towards Pic Bayle, the highest peak in the Grandes Rousses chain.

skinning over to Pic Bayle

Anthony and Paul booting up the last 100meters or so

... and relaxing at the summit

From Pic Bayle, you have about 500m descent down a sustained glaciated slope. Although there hadn't been the huge snowfalls some of the Alps had seen recently, we still had pretty nice snow:

Anthony sets off down the East face of Pic Bayle

... and gets rowdy lower down

looking back up the slope. that pitch next to the seracs was really niceVery Happy

Once we'd had our fun we had to pay for it with a short but very sweaty climb up to the Col de Quiriles.

Col de Quiriles from Pic Bayle

you can just make out Paul and Anthony traversing over to the start of the climb

starting the climb

Paul and I at the Col

We stopped for a bit of lunch here before more climbing to our final descent - the Glacier de Cochette. It was a pretty steep climb straight after my healthy lunch of Powerade, 2 pains au chocolat and a banana.

first a skin then boot up a snowy face

then a stomp up a fairly exposed ridge

relieved to be off that ridge

Our reward was the Glacier de Cochette. Anthony reckoned we might have been the first to ski it this season. After a sideslip into the entry couloir, you are rewarded with a steepish couloir for 2-300m then another 700m of nicely pitched glacier. All in untouched pow. After this you have the Col de Couard which offers another few hundred metres of lovely corn.

quite pretty given that it's of someone sideslipping

Anthony at the start of the proper skiing

looking back up at the glacier

This was just one day of a great trip. Props go to Anthony, the guide we hired to find us the goods - as usual, he did not disappoint.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks a fantastic day out - some great pics there. Now that's what I need to be doing Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, that looks sensational, great pics Very Happy

... but "tram" ? Definitely been spending too long with the maggots. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, Looks like an amazing day! That ridge looks petrifying though.....I think possibly a little too hard core for the likes of me! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, fabulous. Don't know why you had to side slip into the couloir though Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno,

Great effort and you'll know where to take us next year, I hope Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, oops - that slipped through on my proof read

RachelQ, if you saw my jump turns you'd know why i sideslipped it Laughing

JT, lots of less strenuous options too snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Amazing stuff, pretty inspiring. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent looking trip...and it looks as if at least some of the snow is better than "touring quality" Wink . Great photo of the couloir...and it wouldn've been better if you'd skied it - I'm sure you'd have managed it on those Pro Riders.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, i was on the pro riders - part of my fitness regime for touring in a couple of weeks. anything will seem light after them! the sideslip was actually only 20-30 feet so no great loss not to ski it. the slope opened out a bit then and got a teensy bit less steep. i was first down one section and it was great fun with sluff raining down around me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:

Our reward was the Glacier de Cochette. Anthony reckoned we might have been the first to ski it this season.

Anthony is likely to be correct.

Nice TR. Thanks for posting.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice pics - looks great.

Is Anthony English? Think I may have just met him in a hut on Gran Paradiso. TR may follow...

J
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:
Nice pics - looks great.

Is Anthony English? Think I may have just met him in a hut on Gran Paradiso. TR may follow...

J

Yep - poshest guide you're ever likely to meet Laughing
Where's that TR?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
that's him -nice bloke

I'll sort a TR out
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, dont like the look of that ridge!!!
latest report
...I thought I had commented on this the first time around? maybe on TGR...

it's an excellent reminder that I'll be enjoying going to Alpe D'Huez this February, before the French hols....
latest report
I just discovered this, dont know how? it appears the last message was months ago!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rossfra8, Call that a ridge? hehehe
snow report
i think the fact your name is "Scarpa" gives away quite alot, allow me to introduce myself, "Grolsch"
ski holidays
Great to see. Thanks for sharing those pics.
snow conditions
awesome pics guys im so envious snowHead
ski holidays
Arno,

I think I managed to follow bits of it on an old piste map...although I suspect you are over the backside quite a bit.

You rejoined at Vaujany then..?

Is this the sort of thing your Eagles will be doing..??
ski holidays
Arno, that is fantastic. Wouldn't be very keen on going up that ridge in ski boots . . . or at all to be honest. How safe is it tramping over glaciers though ??

I did a days guided piste in Alpe d'Huez. Where you've got your first picture we dropped in to the first valley. Some guy picked us up in his van and dropped at the back of the ski area across the valley to the right as you look up from the main resort base.
snow conditions
hadn't noticed the newish traffic on this...
JT, the route is off the back most of the way until you get onto the Glacier Cochettes, which would be on the extreme left hand side of the piste map. you end up in Vaujany.
hopefully we'll have a few days like this on the Eagles trip

Nickski, some glaciers are more dangerous than others. most of this trip was on glaciers but they aren't very crevassed. we probably didn't even bother taking harnesses actually but i can't remember.

sounds like you did the Grand Sablat which is a classic in that area
snow report
Arno wrote:

Nickski, some glaciers are more dangerous than others. most of this trip was on glaciers but they aren't very crevassed. we probably didn't even bother taking harnesses actually but i can't remember.

You obviously haven't seen those glaciers in summer Shocked . Still I know what you mean.
ski holidays
davidof, ignorance is bliss wink
snow report
On a better note, with the early decent falls, there should be a chance that the snow has filled in a few crevasses already so the likes of the Vallee Blanche might open earlier than usual. I hope so as I will be in Chamonix on the 18th Jan... Cool
snow conditions
Arno,

I couldn't follow it that far on the little piste map I was working from but will have to keep an eye on your Eagles trips..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, the Col du Couard is marked on the piste map I think but you are getting well off piste on this one so the piste map doesn't really give a proper impression
snow report
BUMP because I will be heading out here in a week's time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Arno, yep, mine's a beer wink

txt us for an on-the-spot weather report.

Not sure our hotel has i-net

We need to think about 'dinner' sat or sun.

Are all our mobiles the same as last year?
snow conditions
JT, my mobile is the same; think you PMed me yours not so long ago
ski holidays
if that ridge is only consider "fairly exposed" I have made a note to self not to follow you anywhere Shocked wink have fun
snow report
Arno,

Good bump...just read back through this thread and it sets a very nice tone.....getting a bit excited now...

I think I might have to pull off a few pics of a recent trip and post them.
latest report
Arno,

Enjoyed re-reading that report

Give us an update when you're back. I'm heading to AdH at the beginning of April with the family. Suspect I can negotiate a pass-out for at least one day and am wondering whether this justfies skiing on my AT stuff all week...

Cheers,

J
ski holidays
jedster, you can get to a lot of good stuff by bootpacking for 20mins or so so AT gear isn't absolutely necessary. this particular route does require it though
snow report
Wonderful pictures. Who says there's no passion left in skiing? snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy