Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica Rival X9 & hiring skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

The new Tecnica stock has arrived at EB at Castleford and I'm hoping to go and buy my first pair of boots tomorrow. I was there a couple of weekends ago and was measured etc, and the bootfitter recommended the Tecnica Rival X9 boot for my foot and leg shape shape (v. wide & shotputter's calves) and level of ability. Unfortunately they had no Tecnica stock in the sale (not in my size 27/27.5 anyway)

I've found a few reviews etc on the web but to be honest most sites don't really slag any boots off as being naff and most seem to get some sort of praise even if it's only for certain foot shapes.

Does anyone here use Tecnicas and would they recommend them?

Also whilst I'm on the kit forum, I want to hire a decent set of ski's whilst I'm in resort this hire and so I'm prepared to pay a bit extra than the bog standard one's I've had in previous years. I've looked at the freeride website (meribel/mottaret based holiday next year) and they have some volkl energy or 24 7 skis that I think would suit me. I ski reds/blues and maybe a black or two toward the end of the week, but probably no off-piste and want to spend the week concentraing on my technique with a couple of private lessons. I'm an intermediate - I would reckon about a 5 on the snow 'n rock scale.

Would these be suitable?

Cheers for any replies...

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris,
I ski in Technica Icon Alu Comps, and they are the dog's dangly bits, well, at least they fit me very well.
Have had no problems with them. I did try the Rivals a couple of years back, and they are a good boot for a level 5 skier who wants to progress.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have Tchnica Icon DP Boots. Bought them 2 seasons ago and they have been fantastic. I too have wide feet and they were by far the best fit.

Mine have adjustable flex which has been great as i've progressed.

They have been very comfortable and this maybe due to the TheroFit liners, which i think most of the Technica range has.

So in answer to your question yes i would recommend them. Fantastic boots.

As for your skis, if you find a good shop, by paying the little extra you speak of, you should be able to try a few different skis over the week and find the best pair for you. I did this last season and tried 6 different pairs over 2 holidays and noticed massive differences between the ones for my ability from different manufacturers. My favourites were the Rossignol B1, which i have just recently purchased in the sales!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, Chris Downey,
Thanks guys for the quick replies. If they fit right then hopefully I will be the owner of a new pair of boots tomorrow. Very Happy

Would you also recommend a pair of custom footbeds?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes

(simple answer)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crispy, If you are at Mottaret, I would recommend the Inter shop up in the Hameau. (Top of the free lift called Chalet). It's in the same block as the Baline Blanche and the little 8 a Huit supermarket.

I had a superb pair of Bandits from them last February and found them perfect for the sort of skiing you describe. They were in such good condition it made me buy my own skis because I wasn't going to put up with dodgy edges ever again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish,

I know where you mean. I hired from a shop in the same block last year, but I can't remember if it was the same one as you mention. I ended up with a pair of Salomon Verse which were OK but I'd like to try something a little better just to keep on pushing myself.

Had an excellent meal in the Baline Blanche - fondue (how original rolling eyes ) but when the cheese was almost over, the waitress added another shot of kirsch and a raw egg - which made the best boozy cheesy scrambled egg ever. Mmmm.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crispy, fit the boots with the custom footbed in them, and try to go as small as possible. I would be careful with the liner fit, though. I took a new RX8HF grass skiing 4 times this summer and I very much regret the Hotform liner as I feel I will be swimming in these boots by season end (well, I didn't pay much for them anyhow).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
crispy, I had a real problem finding boots due to wide feet etc. After trying out a load over the last couple of seasons, ended up being fitted with a pair of X9's.

Have had no problems with them at all. Fitting them with custom foot pads is a must, made a massive difference. If you don't feel comfortable in them, keep trying until you find some that are.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SteveG,
Have bought the X9's. Fit was best in the shop. I also tried on some Nordicas for comparison but the Tecnicas were more comfortable.

I didn't buy any custom foot beds as the support in the boot seems OK at the moment. (I also have had a bad experience with footbeds recently when I bought a pair of Sorbothane shock stoppers for my walking boots which I had to take out and replace with the original Meindl liners after about 1/2 an hour) I will see how I get on when I actually try them on the piste and then maybe try the footbeds.

I'm wearing them around the house at the moment (apologies to the neighbours - clunk clunk Embarassed ) - they are ever so slightly tight on the toe on the RHS, but I'm told (and I've read) that the liner will stretch a bit anyway.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crispy, only just seen your post, I bought some Rival X9's 2 yrs ago and have found them to be excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy