Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - knees hurting on exercise - any advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On the exerciser I sit on a sliding seat with my legs, knees bent with my feet on two static bars at the same level as the seat. The seat is connected with resistance cords (I use 3 of a possible 4) and by pushing with my legs I can push the seat back to a point where the legs are virtually straight (apparently its bad if I get them straight according to the instruction video), and then relax to bend the knees again - repeat as many times as I fancy.

I've never had a problem with this before. Last did it about 5 days ago. Tonight within a couple of reps I had a bad pain across and around the area of the knee cap, particularly on the left leg (it was the right I twisted on holiday when I fell) and a little on the right.

1. Should I stop doing the excercise, if so for how long?

2. Lower the number of resistance cords?

3. Keep doing it but only do a few and maybe slower?

4. Slog through the pain and eventually the knee should get stronger?

5. Anything else maybe to strengthen the knee?

Has anyone got any idea what I could have done?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Remember - muscles get stronger a hell of a lot quicker than the connective tissues like ligaments and tendons. Any imbalance in the supporting muscles can also cause problems. Sudden sharp pain during exercise = STOP. It's very easy to make a slight problem much worse. Let it die down then start exercising again in a weeks time very gently and slowly. If further problems occur seek medical advice.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 15-03-07 23:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Remember - musles get stronger a hell of a lot quicker than the connective tissues like ligaments and tendons

Scarpa, Thanks for that - it wasn't something I'd considered. It was much worse with toes vertical, the second stage of the exercise with toes turned out was less painful. Mind you even walking up stairs recently has been giving me twinges in the knees even before tonight - I wonder if I'm putting on weight again - I'm sure that if I was lighter there would be less strain on the knees.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As per Scarpa - give it a rest for a few days. Which I think you'll quite enjoy as you won't need to feel guilty about not doing it! The previous time I did my back in was early one morning just as I was going out the door to spend the day mixing and barrowing concrete on a building job. I worked through the pain and it eased off after less than half hour. I carried on mixing and barrowing gauges of 18 all day, but virtually collaped the following morning when I got out of bed when my leg packed in - nasty trapped nerve thing going on that took weeks to sort out. Still carried on working though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The other thing is to ensure that you work muscle groups equally, otherwise you can get an imbalance. ie if you over develop your quads, compared to you hamstrings, you may have a problem. Rowing tends to work the quads, but not the hams, so you need another excercise for those, plus hip ads and abs.

Also, making sure that you don't lock the knee joint when you extend, as you have been told, is important, but so is not bending the knee more than 75 degrees on the recovery.

One of the symptoms of a muscular imbalance is that the patella (knee cap) can be pulled to one side of the groove it usually tracks in - this causes the sort of pain you describe. A physio can check this for you and can also show you how to tape your knee to prevent the mis-tracking whilst you work to restore the muscle balance. Worked well for me after a partial MCL tear some years ago.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum,

I'd say your ligaments are doing the job of the muscles, hence the pain... build up the quads...... which is a religion of mine from years back but then you do, as said, above need to deal with the other legs muscles. Basically your legs aren't fit enough to do what you want them to do and thats just those exercises...!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, listen to your body. Pain means "don't do it".
All exercise machines are evil - get rid of it
Do what you were designed for: go walking, swimming, running.
If you really have to have an exercise machine, get one of these. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pain can also mean - With the aid of modern drugs you may be able to carry on.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, maybe you don't lead an active enough life and the exercise machine machine is proving just a little too much for your body to cope with Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I guess you are a lady of a certain age?? Me too!

I consulted a physio after an over extension & twist injury and she said exactly that - I have very tight hamstrings and very flexible quads, need to equalise by stretching the hams and building the quads. She did acupuncture and ultrasound massage to help the injury which is now better enough to ski again. I do wear a knee brace (McDavid) as I'm bothered about twisting that knee again - getting older now (50+) and things don't heal so easily, do they, so prevention is better than cure! I really need to do my exercises more frequently and all year round not just before I go skiing...
It's normal for me to stiffen up after skiing, hot bath and a walk is good practice and I always stretch before attempting the staircase in our apartment in the morning!
Megamum maybe you need to firstly warm up properly and also build up the exercise gradually. If the knee twinges again, get it looked at by a physio- you may have a bit of loose cartilage in there, or arthritis. Or even a postural problem with hip and knee out of alignment. Certainly extra weight is one of the worst things for knee pain so if you carry more than you should you know what to do...my physio charges £40 per 30 mins, not so terribly expensive.
Do get insoles (arch supports/footbeds) in your ski boots if you need them, this also helps your knees stay in the right alignment.
Good luck!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum - I do hope the pain did ease anyway during the intervening five years! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy