Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of April - Which of these 3?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I would really appreciate opinions as to which of Courchevel 1850, Val d'Isere or Tignes to go to at the end of April (dept date 17th or 24th).

Am absolutely restricted to these dates and resorts because of childcare constraints. Also whilst I would normally wait and see, I need to book in advance to be sure of childcare place.

Skiing standard of party good intermediate - good advanced.

Have been to Courchevel 1850 so know it, have never been to the other two but suspect they may be a better bet for snow for the time of year.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks. Sarah.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, Val Thorens is another option....

We were skiing there well into the start of May last year. This photo from Val T, May 7th.

The bottom of the Lanches chair at the start of May, Val Claret Tignes. It got considerably better a week later!

Going back down to Val d'Isère was a bit sticky at the end of April though. The higher the better, so Val Thorens or Tignes I reckon, or possibly Arc 2000 - great conditions there too - this photo taken May 2nd, just above Arc 1600.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd do Val d'Isere on 17 April. It's a much nicer resort than Tignes. Even if snow is a problem at village level, which is unlikely in mid April, you can get up to gorgeous relaxed family skiing above Le Fornet etc.

I agree with PG about Arc 2000. Very snow sure. Not a very attractive resort, but great views and skiing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, thanks for those photos - they've just persuaded me to take some time off around Mayday bank holiday to see if I can squeeze in an extra day or two on snow before packing up for the season. When does Les Arc close this season?

Regards

Rob
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, all there in the 'sticky' at the top of the Resorts section! May 1st (subject to conditions...)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah, didn't spot the sticky. Must remember to look before leaping next time...

May 1st would be perfect. Day or two around Arc 2000 then a day in Tignes before flying back home at the end of the day on Bank Holiday Monday. Excellent!

Regards

Rob
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They are all great resorts that will have good skiing that late. Go for the best deal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Hi,

I would really appreciate opinions as to which of Courchevel 1850, Val d'Isere or Tignes to go to at the end of April (dept date 17th or 24th).

According to the stickies the season ends in Courchevel on 24th so if you are not planning on using skins I would not go there then. Crying or Very sad More pertinently I dont know if it is still the case but it used to be said that late season the companies in the 3V did not operate the shared pass so you had to buy seperate passes for each valley. If you want to ski in the afternoon the best snow will likely be in Val Thorens if the weather is warm. So I would check that the 3V lift pass is still operational before booking if planning on Courchevel.

My opinion for what it is worth is that in all but bad weather to anyone other than beginners from the skiing point of view Val D'Isere and Tignes are interchangeable as the lift system quickly and efficiently gets you between the two. Different people have different views on the two resorts. I am probably perverse but prefer Tignes, most people would differ.

T Bar
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tinges there is a glacier, guaranteed snow
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So where did you book sarah?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy