Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How's the snow in Gressoney?

Poster: A snowHead
anyone got any first hand knowledge?

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Greg,

We came back from Gressoney last Sun 4th March. Conditons definitley improving. Prob is its very warm. 9c in the village. Was raining Sat in the village but snowing on the mountain. During the week we prob. had about 6" in total. Lower slopes get very slushy (back to Jolanda lift).

Head towards Chompoloc for better slopes, but be wary of the wind, during our week the top lifts were closed more than open.

Cheers Shane.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Shane,

How was the off piste??

Wind seems to be a common problem with that whole area.

regards,

Greg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Greg,

Plenty of people skiing off piste from the top of Seehorn lift, either down onto the reds below or following the blue (right off the lift) towards the top of Jolanda lift and down from there. Plenty of Huge rocks to avoid and a fair fw drops off from them..too scary for me.

Good news is the place was empty, often on the piste on my own, no queues either. Have fun. I'm told we were unlucky with the wind, it would stop me going back if it was the norm. We only got to chompoluc once in the week and then got stranded due to lift closures, took roughly 4 hrs to get back to Gressoney, by bus, lift, piste basher (worth the wait wink ) & bus.

Regards Shane.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, you probably don't want to know this, but last week was pretty good to fair.

Snow cover off-piste was perfectly adequate with snow quality fairly typical spring conditions (very hard to start with, nice after a few hours of sun, slushy after that). The snow in Olen was mostly really nice, provided you found the right aspects of the ridges to ski down, Balma was OK too, although it was a lot nicer last year. Tuesday we had a heli-drop between Castor and Pollux and skied down into Zermatt, then back down into Champoluc via the Cime Bianchi. Snow at the top was very wind-crusted, but drop down a couple of hundred metres and it got pretty nice - mostly 20cm powder with only a thin crust. Cime Bianchi was also nice but mostly following ski-pisted tracks - snow went down to within 5mins walkout to the cafe where you get the ride down to the chairlift). The snow in the Malfata (on Thursday) was very nice, although I think the abseil was probably a bit longer than usual (although I've not done it myself before). The ski away from it though was fairly deep and heavy so really tested the technique of those of use who haven't done a huge amount of that. It was a long walk back into Alagna though, with no snow at all below the covered bridge (so 20mins walk to the roadhead, then 45 mins to the lifts, unless you get a taxi). The top half of the Bettalina (on Saturday) was probably the best snow we found, mixtures of hard crust, spring snow, and the odd stash of powder where the sun had never shone, but the covering at the bottom was pretty thin, so there was lots of side-stepping and -slipping, with a fair amount of azalea-skiing, followed by about 10 mins walkout to the piste and it took about 90 mins to do in total (each time I've done it has taken over twice the time of the previous run - my first time down it took just 18 mins).

Skiing in Champoluc (on Saturday) seemed pretty limited. Pistes served by the top lifts were OK; we only did one down to the middle lift but that was a bit soft (and queue at the lift sufficiently long we didn't fancy doing it again). Off-piste around middle lifts was pretty patchy (not really skiable under the lift), and that around the upper lifts was pretty hard-rutted, so we didn't stick around long.

The runs down to Jolanda were pretty slushy by the end of each day, but were mostly empty and carving down at high speed was immense fun on the Dynastar Pro Riders I was on. By the end of the week parts were very thin (only a few mm depth) and it was important to adopt a waterski posture to get throught the puddles it wasn't possible to miss. While conditions were perfectly adequate to start the week, they definitely need new snow now. We never found/looked for any off-piste below the Salati midstation, so no tree-skiing report at all I'm afraid. The only disappointment was that the cover was a bit thin to allow some of the more exciting runs to be skied (looking at Oh poo-poo! from the Indren cable showed rather too many exposed rocks to make it safe, and we didn't try the Pylon 19 couloir either). The Eagle and Miners Couloirs were pretty good condition though, provided you picked the time of day right.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish I'd known you were there Graham, I ended up skiing in Cervinia, and skied with some skiers & the SCGB!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, you probably did the right thing. Even if you'd been over in Gressoney we'd not have got to ski together as I was on a (full) Snoworks course. Maybe next season Wink . We also had an SCGB course in the next-door hotel - an oldies beginners' course.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ah ok!! Did you manage a week without the wind closing down any of the top lifts?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't think I felt a breath of wind all week - although I think it had been fairly high on the Sat before we got there. Main danger to health was melting in our gear under the sun in the clear blue skies, and several were skiing in just single layers on Friday (it started to cloud over a bit on the final Sat pm though)....tough job snowHead .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, what was the course like?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
anyone got any first hand knowledge?

regards,

Greg

Big bump!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
off 2mrw any news? Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plenty of wind-blown, crust, crud, rocks, more rocks and the occasional patch of softer stuff if you go looking really hard... (off-piste-wise that is - pistes firm but OK)...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wish i hadn't asked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hearing great reports (again) from a mate up there this week - so much so that we're off there tonight from here in Serre for a couple of days Cool
snow report
Just as long as you weren't basing any decisionson the latest posts from this thread Shocked
ski holidays
@under a new name, like I said, a mate is up there now and has already had a couple of days with a guide this week and texted last night saying it was puking, and has a guide on option for Thurs / Fri so seems rude not to - plus have a mate and two sons here in Serre Che and I'm fast running out of options down here!

He was monitoring the forecasts three or four weeks ago and staying in contact with a guide and scored a good weekend & heli http://www.stylealtitude.com/powder-weekend-warriors.html
snow report
@Weathercam, I think you missed my point. You've managed to resurrect a thread from Feb 2010... Laughing

There is a more current Monterosa 2015 thread floating around somewhere in the ether. The OH was in Champoluc at the weekend but they had 4 under 3 yr olds with them so skiing was, errr, limited. Snow apparrently fine as viewed from a distance but warming. As one would expect.
snow report
@under a new name, doooooooooooh Embarassed

I did a search for Gressoney in Snow Reports - and did not look at the year rolling eyes
snow report
From a dry Serre Che was snowing at Montgenevre down to Oulx and then we had heavy rain all the way around Turin and then snow on the lead up to Gressoney where it has been snowing heavy all day, 50+ up top.

Guide tomorrow Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy